Posts by Ricky

dvw: Yeah, my best self built interconnects so far are made of that. edit: well, I confused the token ring type 1 cable with another type of cable, so actually my cables are not made of that.
I disagee with Nezer in most of his comments, but since most people here don't like do get into discussion with other people that think different than them, I won't get into more details, if I did I would be very probably accused of "thrashing" the thread, trolling, or something similar.
Just say that I quite agree with Tim de Paravicini and Tweertinelle's comments. And the most evident difference between tubed and solid state equipment, is that when tubes distort a signal, they do it in a "softer" manner, whilst when transistors distort a signal they do it on a "harder" manner. There are other issues that can have an additional influence on how the sound is distorted (amp topology, output transformers, output impedance). However, as Tim de...
mini-IC's (I guess you are talking about 1/8'' connectors) are not the easiest to build, because the connectors are very tiny, and the connector has 3 wires to connect (stereo connector). RCA's are easier, they are bigger and just 2 wires to connect. I wouldn't use solid core, because it breaks easily on regular use, I would use stranded. As to the shield, always use shielded cable, I would use braided instead of foiled, because foiled breaks more easily too. As to...
Well, I'd like to know if it is still possible to have any feedback from the two people that took my test. Are you still at it? Also, Eric, did you do your test on cables? I'd like to know your impressions. As to my own test, I still have not had time to do it, I'll try in the next days.
This is definitely my last post at this thread, all I want to say that I find this "bkelly" person a little bit suspicious, mostly because of his permanent insistance on VD cables, including how you "must" try the Nite power cord. He seems to know Rick and Brett at VD very well... Just my 2 cents to the other people at this forum. Just think a little bit about this.
Won't do more posts at this thread, but: bkelly, have you talked to any colleague at recording studios about your brand new $1500 power cord? If so, which was their response? To finish, just one advice. For a more in-depth burn-in, just make sure to attach a couple of toasters along with your equipment to the cord. Ah! Also, recite some mantras so that the burn-in really settles in. I'm sure you will appreciate the improvement. Also, if you can buy them for $3000,...
300 ohm in the 580 is around the minimum impedance of the driver, the maximum being near 600 ohm, and it is true that this is quite a big variation. However, the truth is that any electrical damping factor above 25 is quite enough, talking from the point of view of frequency response variations due to load variations, or talking from the point of view of electromechanical damping. About frequency response variations, for a min. damping factor of 25 and a max. damping...
Strictly talking, any headphone will perform best with a near zero ohm output impedance (zero ohm is not possible). As to damping factor, the total damping of a speaker or headphone is a sum of electrical damping plus mechanical damping. Headphones have already a quite high mechanical damping due to their dimensions. As to the electrical damping, a value of 27 I believe is pretty good. As to Jan's comments: Quote: However, for proper electromechanical...
Quote: Originally posted by fiddler I know this is wrong. I've a Corda HA-1 with two headphone jacks, one with low output impedance (0 ohms), one with high output impedance (120 ohms). My Senn 600 becomes muddy and dull out of the high impedance jack This is not wrong. However, a 120 ohm output impedance is quite high, which could account for the perceived difference. 0 ohm is not possible, nearly 0 ohm yes.