Posts by JaZZ

Quote: Originally Posted by robm321 Why are almost all high end speakers made of wood if that's the case? Most are made of MDF or chipboard with veneer, only few of real wood – because of the worse inner damping. Some expensive high-end speakers are made of carbon or other plastics, and some are made of aluminum. .
Quote: Originally Posted by UezeU There you go defending the use of plastic in a $1400 headphone. Yes. Surprised? Quote: For a given size and a flat surface plastic would be better than metal at sound absorption. Sound absorption isn't the issue here. Leona plastic is used because of the good inner damping, not sound absorption properties. The HD 800 is a completely open headphone, therefore no sound absorption takes...
Quote: Originally Posted by UezeU I can't believe people are actually defending Sennheiser's use of plastic in a $1400 headphone. As for cost, the equivalent weight of the headphone in pure silver would be less than $100. If they were actually concerned with resonance they would have used a Sonex type pattern. A smart person would use a Ti-Ni wire frame (or another memory alloy) with a non-resonant surface shape. Plastic has a much larger surface area for...
For interconnect cables shielding makes sense, but it's not absolutely necessary in the case of CD players/DACs and headphone amps, where the signal gain is mostly below 1. What makes shielding recommendable is high gain factors which imply an amplification of electromagnetic interferences (e.g. radio waves). Headphone cables on the other hand are uncritical, as the signal doesn't get amplified anymore. So shielding is dispensable. Or has anybody heard a radio station...
My recommendation would be to skip the portable amp and get a HD 600 plus an IEM (Etymotic, Phonak...). Real portability and wearing comfort are valid aspects, too. .
Quote: Originally Posted by HeadLover I don't know, but I still claim that 24/96 is a little better, but maybe I am just crazy With my McCormack UDP-1 (which isn't crap) I hear the same. But I must concede that on my computer rig the difference between a 24/96 original and the downsampled version (16/44.1) is smaller. .
Quote: Originally Posted by gregorio ...I don't have to stand for personal insults and attacks. This would even be true if it were coming from a more knowledgeable professional than me but is particularly galling when it comes from people who obviously don't have the first idea what they are talking about. I don't recall having attacked you one single time. And I certainly don't count myself to the «people who don't have the first idea what...
Quote: Originally Posted by sunneebear I know Staxs are mostly plastic but Qualia? Magnesium and carbon fiber if I remember correctly. Mountainbike frames are made of carbon-fiber reinforced plastic instead of steel, aluminum or titanium, and nobody complains about the missing metal. Carbon is a very robust material, but so is glass-fiber reinforced plastic (such as the Leona). Both are used for speaker membranes because of their damping...
Quote: Originally Posted by John Willett Wood is great for musical instruments but not for replay equipment because it has a characteristic of it's own. Indeed. It's called resonance. .
Quote: Originally Posted by mike1127 I've owned a K601 for years and love it. Purchased a K701 a couple weeks ago. Has 200 burn-in hours on it. It's still quite lean and "distant-sounding" compared to the K601. Does it catch up eventually (after more burn-in) or is it always going to be a bit of a lean, not-so-warm 'phone? I can't speak for the K 601, but what's essential for the K 701 apart from driver break-in (which takes at least 300 hours...