or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

That's a misunderstanding. Tweeters have an uneven radiation pattern (the higher the frequency, the narrower the angle) due to physical limitations, not because the sound is «right» that way. Another cause of uneven radiation are crossover frequencies with multiway speakers – unavoidable as well. The ideal would be an even radiation angle throughout the audio band – no matter which. An unacheivable goal. In the first place because low frequencies are omnidirectional by...
 Some DACs are passably successful with applying some forgiving warmth (in the form of harmonic distortion) for masking digital coldness, approaching the characteristic of an analogue source (early Wadia DACs come to mind, even my then Theta Pro basic II was affected by it, although less obviously), and certainly most tube-equipped DACs and CDPs belong to this category. The Price is reduced clarity and transparency, and in the long run you may even perceive this trait as...
Headphone amps? None. The best (in terms of high fidelity and transparency) you can do is use the DAVE's headphone output, directly connected to the DAC output stage – which you can't bypass with an external amp anyway, it's still in the signal path. Hence no analogue cable in my case.   Silver Dragon for the HE1000, stock cable and (since today) Black Dragon for the HD 800.
I agree with ecwl and Crgreen.   The DAVE has a similar tonal balance as the Mojo – so at first glance it may not sound overly different. The difference is rather in the background – and literally so. Small signal reproduction is so much improved that it opens a new dimension toward spatial depth. A side effect is a relaxing smoothness that nevertheless doesn't hide any sharpness or hardness on the recordings. The sound is organic despite the lack of analogue warmth. A...
Usually I don't listen to mono recordings (even convert them manually to «stereo»), but just tested it. I can't reproduce the hole-in-the-middle effect, the music sounds like happening straight in the center of my head.   Crossfeed does nothing with mono recordings: You can't monophonize the low-frequency content therein any further.
 Since I have always strived for neutral amps, I never had an amp for arbitrarily coloring the sound, although of course all amps do that to some degree. Currently I'm more than happy with a quasi ampless system – Chord's DAVE driving my dynamic headphones directly by its DAC output stage. I prefer to (dis)color my headphones via software equalizer, under full preservation of the original tranparency from the source. Yes, harmonic distortion is the (main) reason for...
  You're both ignoring the fact that there are warm, full, dark and cold, lean, bright sounding amps (with identical frequency responses). Pairing the HD 800 with an amp of the former category will work to some degree when it comes to compensate for the treble excess, although the 6-kHz hump effectively is still there. But that's how (euphonic) harmonic distortion can work. Of course this scenario is far from ideal for someone with a more puristic approach, since you are...
 A passive attenuator is something else and consists of voltage dividers, i.e. serial and parallel resistors. The Superdupont resonator is a passive/acoustic equalizer. It has no advantage over an active equalizer, but some side effects, which the latter doesn't have. But nothing wrong with it (if you don't like software equalizers for whatever reason).  The downside of such a «compensational»/synergetic amplifier characteristic is suboptimal accuracy and transparency. The...
 The Superdupont mod is an equalizer! Even Sennheiser's own Helmholtz resonator in the «S» model is.
 You're certainly right with your view that 0.5, 1 or 4 ohms due to the cable's resistivity doesn't matter for a 450 ohm headphone like the HD 800. The fact that cables do make an audible difference with it nonetheless (in my humble experience) clearly shows that resistance and impedance of cables aren't responsible for the sonic differences. The same may apply to capacitance and inductance, although they can have an audible impact – but they don't define a cable's sonic...