Posts by JaZZ

Compared to the old forum software splitting quotes is a pain to do. It takes a lot of patience and a lot of trial and error if you want to get proper quote fields without unnecessary empty lines.   Anyone has noticed how arbitrary the software puts some empty lines here and there, above or below the quoted text? And how chaotic it reacts to undo/redo/undo... Well, after all I can use this very chaotic reaction for deleting the arbitrary empty lines, at least in most...
In the Symphony high gain means higher amplification factor of the output stages, so theoretically signal quality is slightly higher and S/N ratio is clearly higher with low-gain setting.   (I just wanted to avoid twice the «higher». Looks more elegant that way... ) .
  I can't tell for sure, since I don't know them personally and can't find corresponding info, but I doubt it. If any of them is, it's the new Sigma 17-50.   The only DX one that seems some what simular is the Nikon 17-55/2.8...   ...which is expensive and heavy as well, so not a too attractive alternative. .
I contacted Jan for clarifying this. In the Opera a simple resistor makes for attenuation for the low-gain setting, so high gain is theoretically slightly better. In the Symphony high gain means higher amplification factor of the output stages, so theoretically signal quality is slightly, S/N ratio clearly higher with low-gain setting. But much of it depends on personal perception and taste. .
What would you propose instead for describing the meant characteristics? – Of course subjective perceptions can never be precise like a measuring instrument. Is this a reason to renounce exchanging them? I for one can quite precisely figure the described characteristic by above terms. You have to be aware that every pair of ears is different anyway, so there won't be 100% congruence with sonic perception. But it may still be enough to give a rough picture of the...
Not the wisest choice in my book. While the 24-70 is certainly an excellent lens, you pay the price and carry the weight of an FX lens on a DX camera, so you give up the inherent advantage of the DX system. Maybe you could get along with a good, more compact DX zoom instead, like Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 OS, the new 17-50/2.8 OS (if it's any good) or Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC – which moreover have VR. However, I support the choice of a D300 (own one and am happy)..
  I agree. .
   No worries!    I didn't feel offended.     That you happen to like what could be called a neutral sound is your preference. I do not like a neutral sound too much...   It's not that I categorically want the player to be absolutely neutral, otherwise I wouldn't make use of the built-in equalizer to make the final product – the sound through notoriously imperfect earphones – passably neutral. I just don't want the player to arbitrarily precolor the sound more than...
Looks better to me now. .
Hey, I didn't know the Clip+'s measuring data when I decided that it sounds relatively neutral and accurate to me. And I didn't realize the hype around it on Head-Fi. BTW, it would take some special effort (electronics components) to create a frequency response deviating from a flat line (apart from natural drop-offs at the extremes). Or the equalizer would have to be activated by default.   But actually I'm not sure what your concern is. The Clip+ sounds good to my...