or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

An incredibly thorough review! I have one question (pardon my ignorance): What's a «digital power cable/cord»? Is there simply meant a power cord for a digital source?
 But it wasn't meant to serve for misinterpretations. It's convenient for you to declare the Inner Fidelity graphs to be accurate, while in fact they're not. They're as (in)accurate as the Sennheiser graphs, apart from the latter's poor resolution. From my own equalizer settings I take it that the deviation from a straight line is –1.8 dB at 2 kHz, –2.4 dB at 62.5 Hz and –7 dB at 31 Hz – this with a modified classic HD 800.  To my ears the HD 800, the more so in modified...
                    HD 800 S                                                                     HP-1   [Graphs from Inner Fidelity]
 I've heard good things about it in the past, but never itsef. I own a PS-1, which may have some similarities, but probably not as flat a frequency response. In any event the PS-1 is nowhere near the «technical qualities» and the realism of the HD 800, so it gets no use at all. It's just a heirloom. However, you can't expect people to be familiar with such a rarity. They simply base their judgements on the headphones they've heard. And I strongly suspect the vast majority...
 ...subjective as well.
 Subjective impressions are the only thing that counts in the end. Your own perception of the HD 800 S' sound is based on your subjective listening impressions, no matter how much you consider them «objective». Moreover, no measurement can prove that the HD 800 S isn't (passably) neutral. Headphone measurements need compensation and interpretation. And even if it's still considered as slightly bright, it can nevertheless be the most neutral headphone on the planet –...
On the other hand, if you recable and equalize the HE1000 and drive it with a DAVE...
 You're taking that too personal. Different people have different ears – therefore the different headphone preferences. I'm inclined to agree that (to my ears) the HD 800 S (which I haven't heard yet) would still be on the bright side of neutral, but I also think it may indeed be one of the most neutral headphones I know nonetheless, as well as the classic HD 800 with my modification. Every single headphone has its colorations, some are rather dark, some are rather bright,...
 That will be an interesting comparison.
 Sad, but true! Let's hope we won't become too elitist with our DAVEs – possibly the best digital source and headphone amp on the planet to date!