or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

Please don't cultivate a new «Bit-Perfection» religion on Head-Fi!  It's very obvious and logical that manipulations on the sonic characteristics of a recording will result in a different digital signal. It doesn't matter if it's happening before burning it on a CD or afterwards. And in the case of an improved sonic balance the altered recording is better – despite not being «bit-perfect». Note that the various DSPs (including equalizers) used in the recording studios...
 There is no peak at 6-7 kHz. According to the equalizer settings I need for a cohesive, uncolored sound there is a peak at 4-5 kHz, though.
 Since you seem to have misunderstood my former advice: What if you take care to not turn off the player with a song paused at the beginning? Note: not at the beginning of the song, one second played is enough. That helps in my case. And what if you set Resume to «last song»?
 While I have no idea what Tyll's EQ curve looks like, I suspect it will predominantly be based on his measuring curve. I took it as a basis as well, but was never really satisfied with the result. After numerous trials and errors I ended up with a curve that looks like this:                     Left is with my Fiio X5 II's octave equalizer, right with xnor's 1/3-octave equalizer for foobar2000. I'm very satisfied with the result and don't believe that I will change much...
Yeah, I forgot the ADC. A fascinating product which I pin quite some hopes on. On the other hand, it will take at least 2½ years till we'll get to hear (and buy) the first few recordings made with it, and those will still represent a tiny fraction of my music collection – if the music is to my liking at all (I'm not so much into mainstream independent of the genre). Also, there will be much more time needed till it's used for a majority of the recordings (which hopefully...
Future new Chord products   1.  A series of digital amps designed especially for the connection to DAVE, beginning with a 20 watts model, is already confirmed and planned to be released in a year or so.   2.  Not decided yet, but likely is a variant specifically for driving demanding headphones, including outputs with bias voltage for electrostatic headphones.   3.  A new digital preamp one step below DAVE and one step above the Hugo TT. It will have a WTA filter...
Have you already tried formatting the card(s) in the player? Have you tried a different SD card? Have you already tried reinstalling the firmware or an older firmware? I would try the latter first if I were you. But it could indeed be that the hardware/electronics is defective.
 I had the same problem. It kind of cured itself: After installing firmware 1.27 (from 1.24) I was disappointed that it hasn't fixed the problem. Tried to get some info from other people on the forum, but no response. So I had the idea of reformatting the SD cards. This also in view of the fact that they haven't been formatted by the X5 II itself, but by a Windows tool called HPUSBDisk. Until firmware1.21 I didn't experience any problem from that. But I thought: who knows!...
Quote: Hi drdkey If you have the patience... I would wait for Rob Watts' digital power amp to combine it with DAVE.
 Not for anybody in particular. I'm just in the fortunate position to not need a headphone amp anymore (at least for my dynamic headphones). This and equalizing make me independent from component synergy, which is a pain in the butt. And the cause of so many fruitless debates. At the risk of repeating myself: There's no veil with the pairing DAVE/HE1000 (with Silver Dragon) either, the less so when carefully equalized.But since this is the HD 800 S thread: I'm sure the HD...