or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

That will be an interesting comparison.
 Sad, but true! Let's hope we won't become too elitist with our DAVEs – possibly the best digital source and headphone amp on the planet to date!
 That's impressive indeed. And I'm glad that the (filter) theory matches the sonic impression I get from DAVE – and vice-versa. Actually it's strange that FM radio never suffered from the sterile sound attributed to digital recordings, despite being dependent on a very similar steep low-pass filter for suppressing the pilot tones carrying the two stereo channels. And I'm rather sure that the FM technology produces a lot of modulation noise as well. I've always suspected...
 DAVE offers even much more of this very quality.
 Congrats! But I wonder: What has the Mass Kobo 394 to do with running in (DAVE or its headphone output?) or driving the HE1000?
 Yes, you have. Not quite 100%, but up to 65% is enough.              PS 1000                                                                              HD 800 S I've never been a fan of the Grado bass. It certainly suits rock music quite well – one could talk of an emulation of a bass-guitar speaker cabinet. That said, I've heard the PS 1000 (without «e») a few years ago in my setup, and it's definitely the best sounding Grado I've heard, and I liked it quite a bit,...
 No. But cork doesn't seem promising to me. I tried it during my speaker-builder area (for damping purposes), but it's effectively too hard a material and too closed to absorb enough high frequencies. In turn foam is too lightweight and open to have enough acoustic resistance for the required thinness (yes, thinness is an important criterion!) or too hard (= reflective) in the other case. Felt has too hard (= reflective) fibres and sounds bad in my experience. Velours is...
 I certainly wouldn't renounce the damping (unless you like increased reflections and signal smearing), but you could try my black-velvet version – which sounds clearly better than foam to my ears. It's the original, BTW, and I wonder why it hasn't been tested by Tyll, beside the adapted «Anax» mod. Equalizing can't replace damping! It's a different function. Equalizing works in the frequency domain (at least in the first place), whereas damping works in the time domain...
 For me equalizing by ear is the only right way. Of course it's very useful to have several sources of measuring diagrams at your disposal, since starting from scratch would leave too large a field for countless trials and errors. But finally it's your ears you adapt the headphone to, and so far no graph has offered me a reliable frequency response serving as an equalizing template. Headphone measurements by their very nature can't be accurate – moreover they always have...
 I'm sorry if I have come across like that. Of course you're entitled to enjoy your headphones without fiddling with mods and equalizers. I understand this approach very well. The discussion has got a bit hot since modders were quasi equated with oddballs who don't really know what they're doing. Something that provoked my engaged reply. However, to each his/her own! I really enjoy my (now modified and equalized) HD 800 since I have it, and my love for it has only...