Posts by JaZZ

Actually full-time.  The HD 800 does it for me.   I'm surprised about that. Of course it is possible that a power-hungry headphone might overstrain a certain amp or require an amp with strong muscles to begin with. I'm just surprised that measurements have do be done at such high volumes. The only other precondition I see to guarantee equal measuring conditions is a low output impedance – which isn't too hard to find among a great variety of different amps.    What is...
  Interestingly as good as the frequency response is, as bad is the transient response (I'd say: typically electrostatic!):    .   Compare this with the HD 800 with its also quite (or more?) even frequency response...    .   ...or finally the Koss PortaPro:    .   Now I'm not saying the PortaPro must sound best of the three. It just goes to show that measurements don't tell everything.     Different amps have virtually zero impact on this kind of measurements. (That...
That was my former bike – more precisely the previous model. I think the new version looks even nicer..
  Whereas I could hear the roll-off (and didn't like it), I could also hear a greater refinement from the HiFiMan sample (which I liked).    Audible advantages?  Okay, rather than subjective crap let's talk about MEASURABLE advantages?  Liking an inaccurate sound is one thing, proving it is "better" (advantageous) is another thing entirely. What is there to be proved? If it sounds better in the sense of more refined and better resolving, it is better. As to measurements,...
I have experienced a superior or at least more lifelike sound from a turntable compared to a CD player in the past and enjoyed my analogue system in parallel to the new technology (of which I've been slightly disappointed at the start). It may still predominantly have been a matter of euphony, but after all the CD format and today's digital equipment aren't necessarily the end-all, be-all when it comes to accuracy, so purely analogue reproduction and even the complex and...
Up to now I had no idea about «adaptive/asynchronous» USB. What I know is that in my computer system the Symphony sounds better with USB than S/PDIF or Toslink. Moreover the Symphony's DAC can compete with the likes of Bel Canto DAC2 and McCormack UDP-1.   I wouldn't put too much weight on such theoretical reasonings which would limit your choice to a select few (high-priced) components. If it sounds good, it is good. .
  What do you mean by that? I don't know of any problem. The problem with S/PDIF that some users had should be solved with the Symphony.2. It is an excellent amp and a very good DAC in one. Not sure if there's anything better in this price range. Also consider crossfeed and the various DAC filter options. It's a truly audiophile solution – the active/balanced-ground concept is a good, (virtually) equivalent alternative to real balanced drive with the same virtues.   The...
I like my HD 800 with my Corda Symphony..
If it has low enough output impedance, this may be a good solution in the sense of minimized signal corruption. A dedicated headphone amp of the same class would probably still sound better, primarily due to its even lower output impedance.   Some amps use complex designs, some are simpler – there are many ways to achieve a good sound. The only thing that matters is if there's a superfluous amplification stage in the signal path. Such cases of double or triple...
  Yes. The preamp output is the equivalent of a headphone output.   Certainly – if you want high fidelity. I even renounce a preamp on my speaker system and use a passive attenuator instead for driving my power amp. Note the term «attenuator»: It sais that the signal from a CDP is too loud for a power amp and has to be attenuated. Now combine this with the concept of an active preamp! .