or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

That's a fascinating story, and I'm glad to be confirmed. I think it's not the Hugo's headphone section which is to be blamed, it's simply the Hugo's sonic signature that may not entirely harmonize with certain headphones. An amp in the signal path will certainly make the over-all sound more forgiving (to both down- and upstream flaws).  I agree. It's slightly treble-friendlier than the DAVE. One (virtual) click on my X5 II's equalizer fixes the issue (well: with respect...
I can only offer you my experience with external amps and an alternative approach for achieving a sonic characteristic that suits your sonic preference and creates the desired synergy: equalizing.   The amplifier route with added harmonic distortion for a warmer and fuller sound – notably with just one arbitrary preset for all of your headphones – is a poor substitute for the much more flexible and universal sound manipulation via equalizing, enabling to effectively...
 It looks like he doesn't have his Hugo yet.
 Hi Pogart Yes, that's indeed a personal thing. The justification of everything higher than 16 bit/44.1 kHz is just as disputed as cable sound. I for one do hear a benefit from hi-res in the form of higher realism and slightly more detail, but with the Chord DACs (particularly DAVE) even 44.1 kHz recordings sound so good that I don't really need higher sampling rates. Moreover the equalizer in my FiiO X5 II only works with sampling rates up to 48 kHz, and a flat frequency...
 In contrast to you I use all my headphones for all genres equally. That's the merit of equalization, the way I implement it. Not just a bit, but it's a serious occupation. Every new component requires some adjusting – currently the Black Dragon cable for the HD 800 (but I'm already about there where I want to be). So in fact I wouldn't need three or four main headphones, but it's a hobby, and the characteristics are still different enough despite almost identical tonal...
Honestly, I never thought the DAVE to be overpriced. Now I even think it's a bargain. The best DAC in the world (probably) for a fraction of what you had to pay for the best DAC in the world one or two years ago...   Well, I belong to the lucky ones who can afford it (although I'm not rich by any means), and I can reproduce the frustration of those who are far from that. But I also understand that Chord Electronics doesn't produce such a fine piece of advanced...
If you equalize anyway, you can save a few bucks: Get the HD 800! The cable replacement is an option you can think about later, once you find you need a further sonic refinement.
 I'm not sure if I really understand you and if you understand what I'm trying to say. What has the turntable to do with the topic? The tube amp has been brought up by Shetzu, but in fact it's just about the dispensability of a headphone amp with the Chord DACs (I'm not against tube amps as opposed to solid-state amps, although meanwhile I prefer the latter). It's true, there are good and bad recordings. Is that a plausible reason for chosing a forgiving, low-resolution...
 Mostly, yes – unless I leave the house after a listening session and come back for another one. My remote control is in the original box, I never use it.
 As soon as I have the desire to listen to music, I turn it on (no warm-up phase considered). I turn it off when I leave the house; otherwise mostly before I go to sleep.