or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

There's no problem with an external amp for the Mojo, but at the same time it makes no sense. Given the Mojo as a basis, you can't improve its output signal by amplifying it, so having the Mojo itself driving the headphone will provide the highest accuracy and transparency. The only exception being the need for higher power (which I don't see with the very efficient HD 800). Note: The poster wanted more substantial bass, something I can absolutely reproduce, even though...
 As I said, you can't bypass the Mojo's (and Hugo's and DAVE's) headphone output – it's the same signal path as the line output, since there's no dedicated headphone amp built in. Other DACs have a different topology, and you can bypass their headphone output (if available). So if you don't need higher power, it makes no sense to add an amp if you're looking for higher sound quality and accuracy (objectively spoken). You can't improve a signal by re-amplifying it.
 That would be a clear sonic downgrade from his Mojo, though.
 Yes, it can! That's what I do – with the HD 800 classic. BTW, you can't remove the Mojo's headphone output from the signal path anyway, so additional amplification makes all the less sense, let alone for equalizing purposes.
I should have read more carefully: «partnering product». Something to be used together with the Hugo TT. A digital amp for DAVE is in the pipeline, but not in the near future AFAIK.
 I'm curious! What could that be? My guess is: a battery-powered miniature DAVE with reduced tap count (for reduced current consumption), mainly meant as a more lightweight travel companion for Rob instead of his obligatory DAVE.
 You seem to accept this scenario for the Hugo, but not for the TT. Please don't put your own assumptions so arrogantly above reality! There is no headphone amp neither in the Hugo nor in the TT nor in DAVE. Headphones are driven by the DAC's line-out stage. Rob Watts should know, right? There are a few other DACs with headphone outputs without dedicated headphone amps, BTW. Here's a TT test with a block diagram. And here's Rob Watts' comment about the changes compared to...
 Indeed!
 So I will correct you: you're wrong. It seems that your EE background hasn't helped you, but mislead you in this case. I don't know much about electronics, but maybe the second board is for balancing the signal for the balanced outputs.
 You don't get it: You can't bypass the so-called amp in the TT (which is just the line-out stage), so with an external amp you have two amps in series and twice the coloring/obscuring effect. It's the same topology as in the original Hugo: no dedicated headphone amp built in!