or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

Well made! Glad to hear.
Sorry to hear that. I don't know if that helps, but someone who seems to be the author of the foo_asio_dsd component recommends deleting a registry entry for resetting the ASIO Proxy:  At least for a user in that forum it has brought access to the ASIO Proxy back.
 foo_dsd_asio The solution is quite simple: You just have to get access to the «ASIO proxy 0.8.3»...  ...by double-clicking foo_dsd_asio to select the Chord DAVE driver there. Since according to my experience the selected device has to be connected to get access to the ASIO Proxy, I thought maybe it would allow access without any entry, freshly installed. After all I must have managed to get access to it somehow in the beginning, although I remember that it wasn't a smooth...
 That means it has been converted to PCM with a sampling rate of 352.8 kHz according to your SACD settings. You have to select «DSD» as ASIO driver mode there. In your profile I see you don't have any other Chord DAC, so the possibility that there's another device selected in the now foo_dsd_asio settings (ASIO proxy 0.8.3) doesn't exist. Are you sure you have your DAVE attached to your computer while trying to acces the foo_dsd_asio component per double-cklick? That's...
 Hi Paul I have the same issue with the Hugo, but not with DAVE... or so I thought! But it turns out that also with DAVE I don't reliably get native DSD from .dff files, whereas .dsf files are o.k. Sometimes foobar takes the selected DFF decoder frequency for playing back PCM. You may want to have a look at the recent posts in the Hugo thread addressing DSD problems with foobar and Chord drivers.
 It's also possible that he meant the «headphone device» based on High Fidelity Cables' magnetic conduction technology. I don't know how this would fit in with the actual debate, though. But it could certainly also be of interest for TT users (just to find back on topic).  If you really mean Chord's new line of digital amps for the connection to DAVE: This will be the great breakthrough in that those amps won't degrade the signal in any way (at least that's what it looks...
 I see no contradiction to what I wrote. Well, I don't fear a loss of transparency by adding a (needless) amplification stage, but the loss is certain (and clearly audible to my ears) and I want to avoid it. In turn your approach is the opposite: You explicitly want the loss of transparency by introduced colorations. That's your personal decision based on your sonic ideals, and I respect it. I just don't think it's a particularly clever approach. You could just as well use...
 I have no real recommendation to offer when it comes to an EQ strategy. I found my own curves by trial and error – initially by relying on published FR graphs (mostly Inner Fidelity) –, but soon had to discover that they can't entirely be trusted, particularly for the treble, even from the range above 1 kHz on. As with my own speaker projects (when I was into speaker building years ago) which took me months to find the ideal crossover tuning, I changed my headphone EQ...
 As I said, there's nothing wrong with liking the pleasing colorations introduced by additional amplification that make the sound more forgiving in terms of tonal flaws in the chain (mainly caused by the headphones, but even the DAC itself isn't entirely excluded, and of course the recording belongs to the factors, too). I understand this approach. It's just that more than often the claim «you need an amp to maximize the sound of your headphone» comes up in the context of...
It's even a bit more insteresting. The conflict is actually a conflict of the foo_input_packeddsd.dll with itself, as removing foo_input_sacd effectively doesn't change foobar's behavior. It even can't hold the SACD settings. So after a foobar restart the same song will be played at 192 kHz (the selected DSDIFF decoder frequency) and a few restarts later foobar will show an error message instead of playing the song. After a few more tries it will play DoP correctly...