or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

It was asked if the new pads improve the sound (from the second part of your answer it isn't clear if it addresses the V2 pads or the HE1000 V2), and I'm curious myself how close a pad upgrade brings the original version to the new version. Can you please enlighten us? Also, are the drivers identical, or have they been modified as well?
Most of the (early) Kinks songs I like best are in mono. It was a great surprise to discover that there's a trick with DAVE's crossfeed settings to get a stereophonized version. Really amazing!   Just kidding! But seriously, since I can't stand mono recordings, especially through headphones, I've learned how to stereophonize them manually. Despite being fully artificial, the effect sounds quite plausible – especially if you don't know about the manipulation. I even had...
 Well, having just one volume setting is a huge compromise in my book. And just in case you haven't realized: You would get an equally simple signal path with e.g. a Chord Hugo with its ampless headphone out and lossless digital volume regulation, moreover an extremely low output impedance and much higher output power than now.  To my ears the original wording isn't wrong, as it can be interpreted as «to keep things simple means less sonic compromise». (This from a...
 To be honest, I couldn't live with a fix volume for all my recordings – which in fact vary a lot, despite being normalized manually. It sounds as if the output impedance of your player is really high, maybe around 250 ohms, which I consider critical in terms of strain for the output stage. The current flow is at least 500 times higher than it's designed for. It may very well withstand the strain, but there's no guarantee. In my case one channel died after two or three...
 I used this sort of «direct connection» some years ago with a DAC with very low output impedance and with a HD 650. How is your player's output impedance? It can't be very high, or you would'nt get decent volume levels with a 34 ohm headphone, but it certainly will be higher than that of most headphone amps. Even though planar dynamics have decently flat impedance responses, in most cases they're not absolutely flat, so there could be some resonances that are slightly...
 Despite the Utopia waiting for a further session?
 «HIFIMAN Ultrapad V2 (for HE-1000, HE-1000 V2)This is the new earpad of the HE1000 V2, which offers a greater angling of the headphone driver as compared to the original HE1000. It also changes the velour pad surface for polyester.» The only imaginable sense of the angling is a sonic difference, so the answer is given. It's just not clear if it's an improvement to everybody's ears.
 I never found the DAVE to sound bright – if there's a deviation from neutral, then rather very slightly dark. Your finding is a surprise to me. Maybe you have a bad day or a bright day? Or could it be that you're using a bright headphone? Such as the HD 800? Maybe time for a damping mod. And/or a new (copper) cable. Since a few days a have a Black Dragon attached to my pair, and I like it – smoother than the stock cable (which isn't bad per se, just a tad sharp).
 The one exception was probably me. In the meantime I've had it constantly turned on, but out of curiosity I was just switching it off. And indeed, I like it better that way. The sound becomes more open and airy – and musical –, without any added harshness. One of the few things I seem to disagree with Rob.
 Hi Sonic Defender I'm not pretending that I could hear a difference (although who knows, maybe I could), but there was someone pretending the resistor-ladder design in his DAC be better than Chord's lossless digital volume regulation.