Posts by JaZZ

Impact is intensity. As long as the headphone doesn't distort at the desired intensity at the corresponding frequency, you get all the impact you want. A limitation of dynamics inevitably would come with harmonic distortion. I don't know what impact you need, but for the music I listen to (death metal doesn't belong to it, but some progressive metal and DnB), all of my four main headphones deliver realistic impact. They're equalized for realism, not maximum bass quantity,...
 Unfortunately no – it's long ago that I have listened and occupied myself with closed headphones. But I've read good things about the Audioquest NightOwl or the Mr.Speakers Ether Flow C (I believe from Relic – harmonic distortion is a bit high, though).  What about the THX00? On paper it looks clearly better.
 I wouldn't be satisfied if my headphones couldn't do that – actually that's what I understand by realistic instrument timbres in a wider sense, since I don't just listen to classical or acoustic music. Both the HD 800 and the HE1000 (modified, equalized) leave no wishes in this regard. It's just a matter of bass extension/quantity/amplitude response minus harmonic distortion (you may want to compare HD 800 and Abyss figures on Inner Fidelity). You can read good things...
 Until two years ago my TV's headphone output has driven a pair of (homemade) fullrange speakers.
 There's most likely something to the Ultrasone design when it comes to soundstage – but it's not exactly a philosophy for audio purists who try to get a signal as pure and unaltered as possible for maximum transparency.
 There's nothing wrong with your preference, and I can easily reproduce it, although in detail I don't hear the same flaws as you do. To me the HD 800 sounds ultra-fast and -impactful, at least when modified and equalized, has even a bit more punch than my two electrostats across the spectrum. I can see why you perceive the sound of your SR-207 as more natural – in certain sonic aspects I'm sure I would agree. However, in others it's the other way around. It's seductive to...
From what I know Utrasone's trick tries to shift the sound source to the front and down for a more natural soundstage – according to their experiments. Of course their design doesn't allow for high transient accuracy, as there are a lot of reflections involved.
 Even though it's labelled as a personal opinion (at one point), the wording of your post sounds more like a damnation of the HD 800's sonic capabilities. As I see it, it's just not your kind of sound. And if you think the many people who like it are misguided or don't have enough experience with really good sounding headphones, there's still something to learn for you. There's not a single headphone that's free from tonal flaws, and the HD 800 is no exception. Therefore...
Rob?   (@Rob Watts)
So you don't think ultrasonics contribute anything to realism on a recording? Maybe my wording was unclear; the interference scenario should have served as an example as to how they could be indirectly audible, hence their absence be perceived as a sonic deficit.   Since the Hugo TT's better power supply is the main cause of the sonic improvement compared to the Hugo, it is legitimate to deduce that the better power supply of an external headphone amp for the Hugo would...