or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

No. But cork doesn't seem promising to me. I tried it during my speaker-builder area (for damping purposes), but it's effectively too hard a material and too closed to absorb enough high frequencies. In turn foam is too lightweight and open to have enough acoustic resistance for the required thinness (yes, thinness is an important criterion!) or too hard (= reflective) in the other case. Felt has too hard (= reflective) fibres and sounds bad in my experience. Velours is...
 I certainly wouldn't renounce the damping (unless you like increased reflections and signal smearing), but you could try my black-velvet version – which sounds clearly better than foam to my ears. It's the original, BTW, and I wonder why it hasn't been tested by Tyll, beside the adapted «Anax» mod. Equalizing can't replace damping! It's a different function. Equalizing works in the frequency domain (at least in the first place), whereas damping works in the time domain...
 For me equalizing by ear is the only right way. Of course it's very useful to have several sources of measuring diagrams at your disposal, since starting from scratch would leave too large a field for countless trials and errors. But finally it's your ears you adapt the headphone to, and so far no graph has offered me a reliable frequency response serving as an equalizing template. Headphone measurements by their very nature can't be accurate – moreover they always have...
 I'm sorry if I have come across like that. Of course you're entitled to enjoy your headphones without fiddling with mods and equalizers. I understand this approach very well. The discussion has got a bit hot since modders were quasi equated with oddballs who don't really know what they're doing. Something that provoked my engaged reply. However, to each his/her own! I really enjoy my (now modified and equalized) HD 800 since I have it, and my love for it has only...
 Yes, I do unerstand how a Helmholtz resonator works. I have explicitly stated my doubt if the increased harmonic distortion be caused by it. Actually it isn't entirely impossible – either by the increased acoustic impedance it creates or by some mechanical resonance on the resonator materials used by Sennheiser (seems to be some sort of foam).
 I think I understand it. Perfect low-pass filtering means infinite Q means infinite ringing. Infinite Q means that just the resonance frequency itself is affected by the ringing, every frequency below is perfectly reproduced in the time domain (although that's impossible to measure). Any (real-world) low-pass filter with a finite Q factor will introduce transient corruption below the filter frequency to some degree. Right? So DAVE approaches an infinite Q factor? I've...
 Thanks, Rob, that clears it up. An impulse detector! What sort of ringing would DAVE show with a square wave, then? (Let's say at a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz.)
 Instead of fiddling with the Helmholtz resonator I would rather equalize the HD 800 in the digital domain (–3 or –5 dB at 6 kHz), which has the very same effect, just without the downside in the form of increased reflections (by the resonator itself which replaces a whole in the center of the driver) and maybe increased harmonic distortion at low frequencies (although I'm not sure if they're really caused by it).
 Don't get me wrong: I'm not worried in the least, since DAVE sounds perfect to me. But does that (the windowing function?) mean a single pulse doesn't appear on the oscillogram? How about rectangles?
 You forgot the rest of the sentence: equalizing. Note that the Helmholtz resonator is an equalizier as well. Moreover the damping mod (at least my version) itself has enough perceived beneficial effect to make the treble peak inoffensive. «...completely killed the treble»: All that's killed is some of the reflections, not the treble sound itself. Equalizing will restore it to your liking, now with increased accuracy.