Posts by JaZZ

Originally Posted by ventilator  It's no wonder you're confused about neutrality since you have never heard of the Canadian National Research Council work on acoustics in the 70s and 80s that influenced the entire audio industry, spawning renowned Canadian speaker makers like Paradigm and Energy. Google still exists, you know. So maybe you shouldn't go around calling people "absurd" and talking about "speaking volumes about your technical expertise" when the...
Originally Posted by ventilator  It's not a crude definition at all. It's actually a very sophisticated definition based on the acoustical research of the Canadian National Research Council in the 70s and 80s, which first quantified the elements of good sound related to frequency, dispersion, low distortion, etc.     What?     There's nothing "absurd" in that at all. +4 is an increase in volume over true zero (the "Normal" setting is not true zero, as...
  That's a crude definition of «flat». Flat is related to frequency response and nothing else. The measurements tell that it is flat with the Normal setting. The volume has nothing to do with flatness.     Like I also said earlier, if sansa merely CALIBRATED +4 to actual, true flat, then obviously it *is* truly flat. But it wouldn't really make much sense to make +4 = true zero, because then +3, +2, +1, and 0 would be -1, -2, -3, and -4 respectively, which doesn't really...
The serial resistance modifies the frequency response according to the drivers' impedance curve. Therefore the effect will not be the same with other earphones. .
  Yes, it does! Sound quality is a purely subjective thing – a matter of individual perception. (Whereas signal accuracy would be a quantifiable/measurable issue.)   That said, to my ears and in my experience cables, particularly headphone cables, alter the sound in a reliable manner, that's why I consider the differences real, not imagined.   Please let's not dicuss testing methods here (see forum rules!); this sub-forum serves for exchanging experiences. For the former...
  I guess you meant membrane/diaphragm instead of «diffusor». It would be interesting to see the measuring results your're mentioning. It takes laser interferometry for that purpose. (I couldn't found corresponding data on the net.) In the end the cause for the inaccuracies doesn't really matter when it comes to judge accuracy.   For the frontal grid - I do not argue the effect, it's there. I just think that it is caused primaily by secondary emission and not...
  It's from here – where you'll find a lot of other graphs for comparison.   Not necessarily. All graphs show massive decay delay at low frequencies. But the rest of the spectrum isn't much more laudable in the case of the SR-007 (or the SRS-4040 linked in an earlier post). I'd say typically electrostatic. Note that I'm not saying it sounds as bad as it looks. It's just for demonstrating that a general superiority of electrostats is wishful thinking (= declaring the...
  You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. It's not mass inertia which causes the problem, but standing waves within the membrane, exactly due to the border fixation. This is no issue with small membranes as in microphones, but the larger the surface, the more pronounced the effect becomes.     But, there is a problem with large size of the diaphragm. Sound has to travel noticeably longer distance from driver's edge than from the center, look on it from geometrical point...
    John Willett is not really a Sennheiser representative, but a recording engineer using Sennheiser microphones. And when it comes to microphones, he's obviously right. No conventional dynamic microphone reaches up to 50 kHz like some condenser microphones manage. When it comes to headphones and speakers, he's obviously wrong. «There is not only how fast it starts, there is also how fast it stops – and no dynamic can ever come close to an electrostatic.» Especially with...
  In other words: You consider yourself the benchmark when it comes to technical performance, whereas in my case it's just sonic preference? I strongly dispute your claim. For me my modified HD 800 (and even the stock HD 800) has audibly the better technical performance than any electrostat known to me. I could easily demonstrate it by means of measurements. And some more evidence...   I'm not saying it is better in every criterion, but in some essential criteria, such as...