or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

Hi Peter You have tought me that the LCD-4 needs more power to shine than a Hugo is capable of delivering. I will accept it for now, since I can't try the LCD-4 in my setup and explore the benefit from amping against equalizing as a means of creating an ideal synergy. I'm sure the GS-X Mk2 is a great amp, and if I needed one, it would certainly get on my list. Also, I will concede that I accept a high likelyhood that the Abyss* could benefit from an amp with higher power...
I have my own limitations built in my system in that I insist in using a FiiO X5 II as transport for the DAVE, despite theoretical downsides in terms of galvanic connection. (So no need for excuses, just in case!)
Hi WhazzupI knew that you weren't being completely serious, but the two comments went so well together...
I'm curious about Rob Watts' reaction to this – hope he will chime in. Actually he has already expressed his opinion.
It has been explained by Rob Watts why you may like the sound with an amp better (and I have some corresponding experience myself) – but it has nothing to do with higher accuracy. You have to explore the alternative approach mentioned above to experience how you can improve the sound without re-amplifying and with even greater transparency (which means better imaging and soundstage).
Since I changed the cable to a Black Dragon, my (modified and equalized) HD 800 is getting more use again. The sound is not clearly better in the sense of more accurate, but definitely smoother and easier to listen to, also more coherent. I had to adjust the EQ settings quite a bit (in favor of the upper treble) and after a while had to adjust it half the way down again, which I attribute to some sort of «cable burn-in». Double blue is nothing special, even double dark...
Hey Roy... now you're throwing out the baby with the bathing water. Haven't I explicitly acknowledged the merit of vibration damping? My skepticism is limited to a case like headphone listening, where external excitement is unlikely. So it is absolutely based on scientific knowledge.That's even something I've brought up myself (if you look back) and later picked up again in the context of cables. It's absolutely imaginable and passably plausible. But think about it: How...
 Hi Sonic Defender Don't worry, it's just a slightly spirited discussion – and I happen to lose my stoicism at certain occasions with certain topics. BTW, some off-topic post are what makes a thread alive (as long as they don't go overboard). Well, what do you consider responsible for amplifier characteristics other than harmonic distortion? Frequency response is roughly perfect with all amps, and noise is ignorable in this context. I absolutely believe Rob Watts and his...
 We can absolutely hear it – that's the reason why amps are so often recommended and considered a remedy for HD 800's bass weakness or dryness. Why else would you recommend an amp for the Mojo at all? To make the sound more colorful and more «authoritative». But in fact an amp is a very limited effect device with just one preset. An equalizer is much more universal and flexible and can do better – and in a cleaner way, preserving transparency. The Mojo itself is very...
 You don't have to express it in harmonic distortion figures. It suffices to know that every amp colors the sound and degrades the signal. So if you re-amplify the signal from the Mojo's headphone output, you can't avoid any (alleged) flaws in it that you intend to correct, you can only degrade and color the signal further.