or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

No, apparently the Hugo can't process a DSD signal. It needs to be converted to PCM. At least I haven't figured out how to make it playable via foobar2000, since the Hugo driver doesn't accept the foo_dsd_asio component.
 With foobar2000 (in Windows 7) and the same configuration as for DAVE, my Mojo doesn't play native DSD, just DOP – this without dropouts. In other words: While the Mojo fails, DAVE plays native DSD256 without problems – after a bit of fiddling and help from a fellow Head-Fier.
 Of course there are other qualities than a specific frequency curve necessary to make a DAC sound like DAVE. But the point is: No amp is able to do that either. After all equalizing instead of coloring by re-amplifying lets you get the best out of your existing DAC by avoiding added distortion from added electronics and moreover a linearised sonic balance adapted to your headphone(s) – instead of an arbitrarily coloring amp thus (passably) synergizing with one specific...
 «Those outputs» are meant to feed a power amp in a two-channel speaker system. I can tell you that you can't «improve» the signal from DAVE – as little as you can «improve» any signal. Don't forget that with these Chord DACs/headphone amps you don't replace/bypass the built-in (line-stage!) amp when you add a headphone amp, instead you re-amplify the given signal that's meant to drive headphones directly and has more than enough power to do so in 99% of the cases. I'm not...
 Usually not a reference for high fidelity, but I also fell in love with DAVE's reproduction of electric guitars.
 Thank you for the explanations! I'm aware that measuring «ringing» effects reaching down into the audio band is problematic due to the fact that any low-pass filtering of the test signal logically prevents sharp start and end points in any event, so to discover particularly strong or audibly relevant delay of decay from a specific low-pass filter is difficult or impossible. Maybe it can be mathematically deduced? Or talking of ringing effects in this context sounds a bit...
 Does this apply to any implementation? In my understanding a low-pass filter with a quite round fall-off characteristic (thus with a low Q factor) will produce a rather large-band ringing, far from the ideal of a filter with infinite sharpness, which exclusively rings exactly at the filter frequency (in return infinitely). How much, in your view, is the audio band affected by delayed decay from the finite filter sharpness in common DACs and CD players? Isn't exactly this...
 Paul, mine are no-name products, bought in a Zurich store for cheap. Just take any adapter for that purpose! I'm sure it will offer the same result. Or maybe not, since you have a completely different setup. If you're not satisfied with the result, we could make an arrangement via PM. But I'm convinced the make doesn't matter.
 Yeah, looks like it. You could also get three of them for not much more.
 Paul, these are no-name products – just use something like this and that.