Posts by JaZZ

It will send the DSD data as DoP throught the S/PDIF output, so no, there will be no actual conversion, as it seems. However, as I see it, with the conversion you have to do beforehand (DSD 128 to DSD 64) you'll lose more relevant data than with a conversion from DSD 128 to PCM 176.4 kHz, maybe even 88.2 kHz (24 or 16 bit).
 I would convert DSD 128 files to PCM files, either 88 or 176 kHz – otherwise your X3 II would have to do the conversion to PCM (88 kHz) anyway. foobar2000 can do it.
 I've already found the confirmation elsewhere before (posted in this thread), but here's another, more recent one: 
 John Franks said no – not in the near future.
 I would also have recommended to go with the Hugo² and a TOTL headphone, but if you insist in the DAVE: The HD 800 (modified and/or equalized) would make an excellent combo and wouldn't add much to the expense.
I disagree on the SE846. It needs some tweaking to sound at its best (equalizing anyway) and may not be the best match with the Mojo (which is prone to react somewhat problematic to low impedances in the treble, which the SE846 has).   There's a huge SE846 thread full of enthusiastic users, BTW, so it's effectively a matter of sonic preferences. I happen to appreciate its technical and musical performance, particularly with Hugo and DAVE, but even the FiiO X3 II makes it...
I know nothing. I'm still extrapolating from the 1 million taps experience, which was a surprise after all. So I wouldn't be surprised if doubling the tap count would surprise us again.
 There are a few exceptions among ultra-expensive DACs (can't remember the brands), but they're very rare. Apart from those, all DACs do have a line-out amplification stage, but very few of them can drive headphones. Chord's line-out amps even have extremely low output impedances and harmonic-distortion figures. Add to this that they don't need additional amping which would introduce further harmonic distortion. It would be a shame not to make use of this unique design...
   We've already been there. Fact is: The Hugo², just like Mojo, Hugo¹, TT and DAVE, doesn't have an explicit amplification stage built in (and certainly no op-amp!); the discrete class A line-stage amp is able to drive headphones directly in all five devices. The Hugo² output stage is slightly stronger than that of its predecessor, but shares the same design. So adding an amp to the Hugo won't bypass the internal «amp» (line out and headphone out are identical), but...
Its relatively small soundstage is a small weakness of the Mojo also to my ears, but I have no such complaints about the original Hugo. Now the DAVE's soundstage is huge, particularly deep. And since the Hugo² is reported to have a sound characteristic approaching the DAVE's, it's not too adventurous to deduce that its soundstage be considerably larger than the Mojo's. So I'm quite optimistic that it will satisfy your needs (and mine).