Posts by JaZZ

Not sure if your question is still up to date (since it's dated from 3/20/10). – Does it have to be a cable? Or is it o.k. if the goal is achieved by something else that costs virtually nothing and addresses the issue at the source?   Here's the method which has provided me with all the sonic corrections necessary for the HD 800 to sound as good as I want it to. It even offers some room for frequency-balance fine-tuning, so finding an amp with optimal synergy is much...
  Hi Shahrose   1)  The differences I'm speaking of (with my pair) – although noticeable – were not enough to satisfy my sonic demands after just a few hours of play time: String orchestras still sounded awfully strident. This trait went away not before ~200 hours. Note that this was before the mod came into play. 2)  I'm not sure, but quite confident that it is a break-in issue. As it was about refinement and smoothness, not frequency balance. Moreover, as mentioned, it...
  1)  And how do you know under which condition I have compared the two pairs? I could have reversed my mod or reproduced it on my friend's pair, right? I'm not that naive. In fact the latter applies. For this specific comparison I modded his pair (at his request) exactly according to mine. And of course I've reinstalled the stock cable on my pair beforehand!   2)  I'm aware of the sample variances and have seen them on the published graphs. But from the relatively...
Personally I haven't noticed a widening of the soundstage. It was already wide and deep from the start. But I may not have paid enough attention to the soundstage.       A few days ago I had the opportunity to compare my friend's brand new HD 800 with my used pair. The difference was exactly how I perceived it between out of the box and after ~250 hours. The treble from the new pair was sharp and strident, some recordings with string orchestras were virtually...
Only two days old and already a star:     My new Kawasaki Z1000. .
      I wasn't implying that it always sounds good, I was just replying to the thread title. Which seems to say that there's something special to vinyl which is preserved even after digitization. I think: Yes, there's something special to vinyl, but the components of this specialty which made it to the CD are inaccuracies.   Apart from that, I believe that really good vinyl setups can surpass comparable CD players in some sonic criteria. Logically these advantages don't...
  Originally Posted by Jack-Micca  This is only effective when your headphone amp has a relatively high output impedance.   That's incorrect. The serial resistors in the ER-4S (and the ER-4P as well, BTW) have their effect independent of the amp's output impedance. In the case of an excessively high amp output impedance the total serial resistance (of both amp and resistors added together) may accentuate it to a degree that may be counterproductive,...
Hhmmm......  Yeah, you get me thinking!  .
    As explained, harmonic distortion doesn't exist in the digital domain, so +4 or –4 doesn't matter for signal accuracy. Harmonic distortion is just in your head..
I give up...   As stated in an earlier post: You're a hopeless case. (BTW, the linked articles have nothing to do with our topic.) .