or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

Also, the pictures are stolen from Sennheiser.
I just discovered something incredible: Comparing X3 II and X5 II via digital out and Chord Hugo revealed no sonic differences at all! They sound the same. But that's not the point. I also compared the X5 II with the X5 via Hugo and Shure SE846. It's hard to believe, but they sound very different, even in the digital domain. The X5 has its well-know warmth with an analogue touch, sounds quite bassy. The X5 II sounds cleaner and more transparent and a little less...
 I don't do blind tests (have just done it once with a headphone-cable comparison and scored passably well – 9/12). Moreover we don't discuss blind tests in this forum, and the rule exists for a reason. I perceive a difference in favor of hi-res in most cases (more accurate and natural) – this is also the case with the DVD-As that come with a separate CD. It isn't always the case with hybrid SACDs – with those derived from a normal PCM recording the DSD layer usually...
A sonic superiority of sampling rates higher than 48 kHz is absolutely justifiable – without postulating audibility of ultrasonics. It has to do with how DACs process data and the involved low-pass filtering. It's about accuracy in the audible range.
 If you knew how an equalizer works, you would know that you won't get a flat frequency response with all sliders set to the top or any other position than neutral. It's only by chance that the bands of this «octave equalizer» have a bandwidth of roughly one octave – but certainly not exactly.
 What are you talking about? I use the (btw. excellent!) equalizer with great success in X3 II, X5 and X5 II. It just doesn't work with sampling rates above 48 kHz if you haven't noticed.
I like your review.
 I'm puzzled as well (and not only now). It's the same with amps: No one can reliably explain why they sound different or predict the sonic characteristic on the basis of measuring results. Just don't ask these questions in the Sound Science forum!  
 I like and will keep both. The HD 800 will probably get more listening time again after the HE1000's novelty effect has worn off. What I can say, though, is that the HE1000 sounds more musical to me, more involving, particularly with classical and jazz. It seems to take more care to subtleties and to image sonic colors more correctly and with a wider spectrum of shades. (Both equalized.)
I have got used to it since quite a while (also from the X5). Not ideal, but usable.