or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

No risk at all with DAVE – I've gone the same route.
Hi Peter   When I'm on the go I can live with the sound from my FiiO X3 II or X5 II, the more so during jogging where adding the Mojo isn't an option. Granted, with the latter I enjoy the music a bit more. My preferred IEM on the go is (what a surprise!) the lowly FiiO EX1 – adequately equalized, it plays on the same level with the Shure SE846 or the IE 800 (which I tend to avoid because of the awful cable – to be replaced soon), it even sounds a bit more spacious and...
Such a difference isn't possible. There would have to be thousands of ohms considering the input impedances. I suspect that the older balanced cable is defective – not really balanced. Or the operator has made some mistake anywhere.
 Thanks, Jawed, for explaining! I have always asked myself what exactly this «Pulse Array» could be. Now it turns out to be based on Pulse Width Modulation (PWM), which I happen to be somewhat familiar with. From above Wikipedia link:             «A simple method to generate the PWM pulse train corresponding to a given signal is the intersective PWM: the signal (here the red sine wave) is compared with a sawtooth waveform (blue). When the latter is less than the former,...
 Yeah, and the same applies to DAVE – which sounds phenomenal with the built-in «amp».   Note that the ampless design of Chord's latest generation DACs is part of Rob Watts' sonic philosophy and stands for as low coloration/harmonic distortion from analogue electronics as it gets. Now some people think they know better... Of course there's nothing wrong with choosing the sound you like (whatever the cause), just be aware that additional headphone amps are not the ultimate...
 ...and that's not true. The headphone output carries the signal from the DAC's line stage, the same as the line output. So if you consider this signal not transparent or clean or whatever enough, you can't improve it by re-amplifying it – that just adds the amp's harmonic distortion/coloration and signal rounding. Which may sound pleasing to some ears or create some sort of system synergy that wasn't there before, but it's definitely less accurate and transparent. That's...
 It depends on your sonic ideal. In my experience any added amp (I'm speaking of Hugo and DAVE, no experience with the TT) reduces transparency and accuracy. In turn its coloration may make for a tonal balance more to your liking, maybe stronger bass, a rounder, more forgiving characteristic. The direct connection is really prone to highlight the weaknesses of the reproduction chain. Fortunately with my equalizing practice I'm much less dependent on artificial synergy...
Dave...   ...of course DAVE is a highly revealing DAC, far from forgiving in terms of recording flaws. What I meant was that ADC imperfections in them would possibly be less of an issue due to the sophisticated filter algorithm based on the 164,000 taps, which tries to reconstruct the original analogue waveform rather than stricty relying on the digital data at hand, as with classic even-numbered oversampling. Rob has once explained that he wasn't trying to preserve the...
Let's not forget that DAVE's «reconstruction» algorithm is made to reconstruct the original signal before analogue/digital conversion. So, as I see it, it shouldn't be as sensitive to ADC imperfections as conventional DACs – hence wouldn't benefit as much from MQA.
 Thanks – I've mixed it up with the X5 II.