Posts by JaZZ

Since I'm quite familiar with speaker technology: Above connections between sound quality and low efficiency are purely speaker-related. The main reason is that low-frequency extension calls for high Q factors, thus relatively low driving force / moving mass ratios – due to the damping factor. The whole problem is caused by the fundamental resonance of dynamic low-frequency drivers inevitably located within the reproduced frequency band.   Actually I was rather thinking...
 Yes, that's of course an amp, too, and as such suffers from some signal degradation. After all it seems to behave rather well in this respect, as it shows exteremely low harmonic distortion, far below the level of headphone amps. However, the crucial point is that you can't bypass it, so adding an amp doesn't mean replacing it with a better one (in contrast to conventional DACs with integrated headphone amps), but degrading the signal further.
 You should once try to switch the DAVE off while music is playing! Quite an experience!
 There's no DAC chip in the Hugo and Mojo, it's a pulse array, an FPGA and a discrete class A output stage, identical for line out and headphone out. The intention behind this design is renouncing a further amplification stage in the interest of transparency and accuracy – since every electronics component degrades the signal to some degree. So there's no internal amp to be bypassed and replaced by a «better» one. Every added amp will just degrade the signal, primarily by...
 If your question is directed at me: Moon Audio Silver Dragon. A huge improvement in terms of clarity and impulsivity compared to the stock cable to my ears. That's the only one I've compared it to, though.
 You don't seem to be aware that you can't use the Hugo just as a DAC with headphones, you always use its built-in «headphone amp» as well. The RCA outputs use the same signal path as the headphone output, so the Hugo's «amp» section will always be in the signal path, too. Hence «another amp» does not apply. That means, if you think the Hugo's output signal be not good enough for your needs, there's no way to «improve» it, the added amp will just alter it, degrade it...
 Yeah, I got that. It's just still a mystery what the lower sensitivity has to do with sound quality, i.e. what design features necessary for the higher sound quality lead to the lower sensitivity. I can imagine that it's the larger gaps between the magnet bars in favor of greater acoustic openness / lower reflectivity. On the other hand, the graph showing the rounded (fazored) magnet backs don't look like there are particularly large gaps.
 The Hugo actually follows a different sonic ideal where tubes have no place (according to Rob), so you're certainly right about this. While I like the sound of tubes, meanwhile am striving for ultimate transparency and accuracy instead, with as little (electronics) in the way as possible. DAVE driving a modified, recabled and equalized HE1000 is my current dream combo. The Hugo was fine as well.
 That may explain the new direction with the Susvara, but not what the benefit from the low sensitivity is – or the compromize a higher sensitivity has to deal with. I'm seriously interested to know.
 My Hugo¹ could drive it very well at rather high volumes when I auditioned it and still had a lot of reserve left. Just saying.