or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

I have four desktop amplifiers at my disposal, and you would have a hard time calling them weak. The Hugo alone driving my headphones sounds better in almost every respect, except for euphony. Fortunately euphony isn't my main concern, nevertheless I wish a bit more refinement from the HE1000's treble. I'm well aware of the potential of amplifiers to make the sound more pleasing to the ears, actually the vast majority of them do. It belongs to the strive for synergy to...
 It's not a myth – it's just a theoretical ideal.
 My answer is no. The best amp is a wire with gain – or a wire without gain in the case of the Hugo. I don't want a beefier sound, I want it as accurate as possible. All configurations I've tried lead to the awareness that the direct connection to the Hugo provides exactly that, and everything «beefier» is a self-deception. It may sound more pleasing and/or more spectacular, though. I want accuracy instead. Maybe the Hugo TT or the upcoming Dave are worth considering....
 Actually I do that – I try to equalize my headphones for a passably flat response and extension to both frequency extremes. By doing so my modified HD 800 delivers excellent bass down to the lowest octave, with impressive impact and clean tone. The HE1000 offers even better texture and definition – and this on the whole frequency spectrum. In exchange drum beats hit a bit harder on the HD 800 (despite the 2 and 4 kHz increase for the HE1000 making up for this deficit to...
It happened twice within the last two days: After being switched on, my X5 II refused to play the displayed song with coaxial cable inserted (and «coaxial» selected). Also, the elapsed time display was missing (which would have been «0 s»). As soon as the cable was removed, the song was playable. The same with attached coaxial cable and «line out» selected. To fix the issue, I reinstalled the firmware.   The second time this happened (today) I got this kind of screen...
[wrong thread]
 The measuring graphs are those for the Dunu Titan 1 (so form your own opinion). They look quite impressive, though.
 You got it wrong. The equalizer forces the processor to work harder. (Admittedly that's a rather academic objection.)
Since X3 II, X5 and X5 II (seem to) use exactly the same 10-band octave equalizer, one single thread may be adequate for my concern: Could the FiiO responsibles (Joe Bloggs?) please post the frequency-response curves of the equalizers? I'm highly interested to finally see them, since I use the EQ on all three players on a daily basis, and they are of great use to me. Maybe an optical reproduction of the effects would help me to improve my settings...
 Well, yes, but then again, putting all sliders to the top means a greater effort than adjusting the volume once. And then there's the nagging uncertainty if it really is free of adverse effects. I doubt it. It actually wasn't measured at length, moreover in a rather rudimentary, not overly trustworthy way, let alone with ultimate precision. And BTW, it means higher current consumption (higher processor activity). So what is it that speaks for it?