Posts by JaZZ

Group delay is phase distortion (see also Wikipedia). Best is none. So the silver cable in the graph is less accurate in this area and in this respect than the copper cable. I'm puzzled that there can be such a strong measurable effect in cables. Have you also measured other (copper, silver...) cables? Group delay at low frequencies isn't necessarily a hint to accentuated bass or attenuated treble, it's just phase distortion.
 Group delay is phase distortion (see also Wikipedia). Best is none. So the silver cable in the graph is less accurate in this area and in this respect than the copper cable. I'm puzzled that there can be such a strong measurable effect in cables. Is it repeatable? Have you also measured other (copper, silver...) cables?
 Well, above scenario just applies to Theo's example anyway, not an everyday equalization. You could even get an increase below 60 Hz and above 8 kHz if you happen to have headphones with e.g. a 31 Hz and a 16 kHz hump which need to be equalized by shifting the corresponding sliders downward. Personally I use the X5 almost exclusively as data provider for the Chord Hugo. Otherwise I'd probably care for the possibly useless and sonically harmfull output capacitors –...
 I'm just guessing: The ten EQ bands have no hard boundaries, but permeate and thus add to each other. So if you care for a flat response between as large as possible an aera, you necessarily end up with dropping-off extremes, since outside of them there are no frequency bands anymore which would add to the curve, compensating for the individual drop-offs outside of their center frequencies.
 No, you're screwing it up. Here's Theo's initial statement: If you select the custom EQ or one of the preset EQs and set the sliders to flat (as a starting point), you get a flat curve identical to EQ off, but have to live with a 6 dB volume decrease. The drop-off at the extremes in Theo's example is the result of the outer bands being 31 Hz and 16 kHz instead of say 12 Hz and 36 kHz. This while trying to compensate for the 6 dB volume drop-off by increasing all frequency...
 But keep in mind that that's a rather unrealistic EQ setting. With more realistic scenarios you wouldn't get (such) a drop-off at the frequency extremes.
Thanks for this reissue – very informative! So the single bands seem to fit perfectly to each other, which means they have a bandwidth of exactly one octave. That's a good thing, as it prevents the creation of unwanted ripples in the frequency response.   Of course it would be rather strange to use the above settings just for mimicking the louder no-EQ setting. It would offer no sonic benefit.
 Why this? That's entirely my business. Moreover, I'm always interested in data and graphs to compare them with what I hear.
 You seem to think EQs don't matter. Well, to me they do.
Theo, why isn't your reference curve a straight line – since it's presented as X5 frequency response with EQ off? Instead it has a massive bass boost and a slight midrange dip. And how come that nobody cares? BTW: How exactly were the slider positions to reach this quasi-congruence?