or Connect

Posts by JaZZ

Even with your «electrical engineering background» you should take the time to care for the actual design of the Hugo TT. Since it doesn't have a dedicated headphone amp (like the Hugo), any amp you attach to it has to deal with the same signal meant to drive headphones – as headphone out and line out share the same path and there's no way to bypass the internal «amp». So there's nothing to gain with amps, except for increased distortion and maybe power – if you really...
Thank you, Frank, for this vivid and enthusiastic review! But not a single point of criticism? Maybe you were a bit uncritical?   However, actually I agree with everything. I can't find a single sonic flaw with DAVE myself, it's simply perfect by today's standards. And so musical!
Congrats, Isquirrel, and welcome to the club!     Interesting and confusing reports about the power-supply issues in the last couple of posts.   I have used a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet for power cleaning in the past, which began to rattle half a year ago, so I removed it from the chain. I don't miss it a bit – the sound of my setup hasn't changed.   Also, when I have the Hugo connected to the mains during listening to music, it sounds absolutely the same as when it's...
 I've had the same hotspot issue with my HE1000 (with the short headband). Fixed it by attaching two flat foam pieces right beside said hotspot in the middle.
 Does it sound like that? 
At least with my pair it's even rather at 4 kHz than at 5 kHz. No peak at 7 kHz. (Not measured, though, «just» deduced from the EQ curve necessary for a perceivedly flat response.)
  You're both right. There is a peak between 4 and 5 kHz or on both frequencies. It doesn't magically disappear with a different amp or cable, but a treble-friendlier and -refined cable will mellow the masking effect the peak(s) has/have for the treble region. And a tube amp will make the sound more forgiving and flowing, hence make it less of a problem in the form of graininess. In my experience the best you can do is equalize the peak down by 3-4 dB, so you won't even...
 An incredibly thorough review! I have one question (pardon my ignorance): What's a «digital power cable/cord»? Is there simply meant a power cord for a digital source?
 But it wasn't meant to serve for misinterpretations. It's convenient for you to declare the Inner Fidelity graphs to be accurate, while in fact they're not. They're as (in)accurate as the Sennheiser graphs, apart from the latter's poor resolution. From my own equalizer settings I take it that the deviation from a straight line is –1.8 dB at 2 kHz, –2.4 dB at 62.5 Hz and –7 dB at 31 Hz – this with a modified classic HD 800.  To my ears the HD 800, the more so in modified...
                    HD 800 S                                                                     HP-1   [Graphs from Inner Fidelity]