Posts by JaZZ

Yes, it is a (somewhat provocative) assumption, not necessarily addressed at you. But I'm sure many CD users shy away from the effort of ripping, converting, tagging and organizing their music on a computer. And even more EQ abstainers have chosen their approach because they shy away from the effort of learning how to equalize and practicing it, less so due to the lacking faith in its technical merits. Hey, I'm lazy in other areas! I really am!
 Real musical instruments don't have a frequency response, they have a sound. I try to get that sound from my reproduction chain as unaltered as possible. A flat frequency response, especially considering sound transducers, is an indispensable precondition for that. That perceivedly «flat» frequency response may differ from person to person, though, as it also depends on anatomy. In any event, the «normalized» frequency responses available e.g. on Inner Fidelity (although...
Maybe some still use CD players to have this excuse?   In any event it seems to be a matter of effort some don't want to make (which is actually meant to enable a more convenient approach to music listening). I'm guilty myself for avoiding effort. Right now it's jogging weather outside – and I'm sitting on my computer typing Head-Fi posts...
Chris, to shed some light on the subject: Rob's WTA filter tries to emulate the infinitely sharp and steep low-pass filter (for preventing aliasing) necessary to perfectly fulfill the reqirements according to the Nyquist-Shannon theorem. The high «tap» count stands for a high number of filter coefficients enabling the corresponding characteristic. Other DAC designers consider the issue negligible, thus they use filters with rather smooth transitions – with the consequence...
 Of course it's always a YMMV thing, and everyone should feel free to do what they want. However, not owning a computer is a bad excuse. What other sources are there? Apart from a few CD players most non-computer users probably use a DAP as their digital source. Do you know a DAP without built-in equalizer? Head-Fi is indeed a good place to learn how to not get to the source of a problem, but to buy compensating gear instead. I guess it's more fun. That reminds me of a...
 IMO that has more to do with the 6 kHz overemphasis. You can't blame a cable for not masking it. That's why I said it's hard to tell which cable is more neutral. The HD 800 has to be equalized to sound at its best; that's more important than a cable replacement. That's not to say it won't improve it any further.
 Don't let you mislead by the wire gauge: The drivers have an impedance of 480 ohms on average, so the wires have to transport quite low currents and the cable impedance doesn't matter much. In comparison with three aftermarket cables (DHC «Clone», Silver Dragon and Black Dragon) the original cable belongs to the best to my ears. The Dragons are smoother, especially the Black, but the stock cable is slightly more detailed an accurate to my ears. (Who knows which of them...
Sebastian, I'm with twiceboss on this: Equalizing makes a genre master out of the HD 800. I would also say it's hard to get better bass from any headphone. The equalizing approach also largely frees you from the dependency from amp matching – the Mojo is an excellent DAC and a perfect amp in one for a very decent price. If you want to go one step further: Consider this damping modification – should you really decide for a (used) HD 800. My corresponding EQ setting looks...
 What do you mean by «this»? You know, I was just joking. You can preorder a silver or black Hugo² without having to worry. Don't wait for my green light! That said: Maybe you're right, we better skip the first few batches, just in case that there will be some further improvements in hindsight! Maybe you even know something you're not allowed to talk about (?). This Hugo² launch is becoming more and more suspect!
 Sorry, I have no idea. I'm a Chord guy anyway (for good reason).