Posts by JaZZ

My wish list (in order of priority):   Digital output, preferrably coaxial (for the use as a music box with external DAC and music system at home) Excellent sound quality and enough output power (so there's no need for an extra amp in view of optimal portability) for a wide variety of headphones, no bass roll-off at low impedances At least 2 (micro)SD card slots (onboard memory welcome, but not mandatory) for at least 256 GB A 10-band equalizer is nice, but a...
Since my current portable equipment consists of the Sansa Clip Zip, here's the corresponding EQ curves with my most used earphones:     Shure SE535   0       0      0    +1/+2   +1     Sennheiser IE 8   –8    –4      0      +1   . +5     Etymotic ER-4PT   0       0  °   –4  °  –5     .0
At first glance this looks like a logical objection. But my own approach is more pragmatic. Some Head-Fiers are perfectly happy with their HD 800 as is, some are perfectly happy with other headphones in stock form. And this although none sounds really perfect, not even the most expensive. You have to deal with the least evil according to individual sonic preferences. So some people like or feel the need to adapt the sound of headphones they like (for their...
  Don't worry: at least with the adhesive foil I use there's no glue remaining on the earpiece after removing it.   I see. But as said earlier: covering the steel mesh only serves for increasing the bass, not reducing reflections. In fact they may even increase, although not necessarily at high frequencies.     The reflections, which may be the main cause of the 6-kHz peak – as I see/hear it –, are reduced by covering the pole-piece ring and the rear frame bar with...
Yes, if it's airtight (as it seems), it will provide the desired isolation against phase cancellation, thus the bass increase. Not sure about the sound absoption, though. I guess the upper surface of the strip is rather glossy, i.e. reflective. Any textile fabric on top of it will improve absorption properties – the thicker, the better.   Is your HD 800 already broken in? If not, the sibillance will reduce with play time. Have you really paid attention to proper sound...
To my ears black velvet served the purpose of minimizing reflections and creating a relatively neutral sonic balance best. Melamine also worked, but had a strange side effect in the form of a hinted boominess at mid- and upper bass. I have no experience with Pima cotton, but thanks to Google I know now what it is, and maybe it is also suitable. I tend to think that black materials may have slightly better sound-absorbing properties than white materials, after all they...
    I doubt that such massive deviations are the norm; the posted individual FR graphs just show marginal differences. My friend Kurt's new pair had the same sonic balance as mine when I auditioned it, just showed the initial unrefinement I recall from mine.     Since the main effect of the mod is the reduction of inner reflections, the reduced treble intensity is the result of reduced parasitic transient corruption – the direct sound from the membrane has the same treble...
  I doubt that such massive deviations are the norm; the posted individual FR graphs just show marginal differences. My friend Kurt's new pair had the same sonic balance as mine when I auditioned it, just showed the initial unrefinement I recall from mine.     Since the main effect of the mod is the reduction of inner reflections, the reduced treble intensity is the result of reduced parasitic transient corruption – the direct sound from the membrane has the same treble...
According to my experience the backslide doesn't put the sonic characteristic exactly back to the start, but leaves some of the break-in effect intact (in terms of resonance frequency), and you'll need just a fraction of the initial time for full re-break-in.   Also, if you use the speaker or headphone constantly, the break-in effect won't disappear, thus is permanent. .
  Correct. Just velvet (1-2 mm thick) and double-sided adhesive tape. I have found out that the damping mod sounds better with the velvet than with the Melamine foam. The downside is that it's more laborious and prone to fray, but that's just a cosmetic problem: The double-sided adhesive tape (carpet tape is one with particularly strong adhesive) holds the velvet in shape and prevents it from losing fibers. Additionally I use a double-sided adhesive tape with less strong...