Posts by JaZZ

There's a time for everything. (Jethro Tull?)
I would, if I had a Hugo TT. Maybe later this year with Hugo vs. Dave. But you won't be invited.
 Yes, they work. I have three of them: two in the X5 II, one in the X3 II. I'm not sure if going for 64 GB cards now and buying 128 GB cards later will be any cheaper than buying 128 GB cards from the start. Unless you have any reasonable use for the 64 GB cards then.
 Quite some hair splitting in your first sentence. You said it increase clarity. For me that's about the same as transparency. I'm not interested in the noise floor in the context of the Hugo: I can't hear any. It's nothing to worry about, as it's definitely below the level of the recordings. And it's nothing worth sacrificing transparency and accuracy in the form of signal-degrading (let's stay friendly: signal-altering) electronics components in the signal path. «Power...
I can easily accept that the TT sounds better, so I have no problem with your test result. But I can't concur with your assertion (yes, actually perception) that the preamp has made it more transparent. It may have made it more pleasing, pseudo-transparent – that's what I halfways experience myself when I use my Corda Symphony to drive my HD 800 instead of the Hugo alone. But each time I switch back to the direct connection it becomes clear to me that nothing is more...
Come on!  But to each his own.  BTW, let's not forget that I equalize all my headphones to get the maximum out ot them (in terms of neutrality and listening comfort/pleasure), which means the X3 II has been set differently from the start. I'm quite confident that you haven't done this. It's very well possible that soundstage and imaging benefit from such an optimization of sonic balance to the degree I'm subjectively noticing. In my (hobbyist) speaker-builder career I have...
 Now does it matter? It's a mystery just like amplifier and cable sound generally – so far it can't be measured. Mysteries are fun!
 I like it a lot for classical (and all other genres), but only when equalized. Only that way it has the necessary smoothness and resolution – and may even resemble the HD 800. Without equalization it is much too coloring for me. But it has great potential, and even the bass – overwhelming and boomy by default – shows great accuracy and detail and an enormous depth. – I haven't auditioned the K 3003 so far.
 The coordinates define 2 dB, so yes, 0.2 dB is 1/10 of that. Out of curiosity I have done a serious comparison to determine the curve of the X3 II which creates an almost identical sonic balance as the X5 II (to my ears). It's not entirely identical for different earphones, but the curves are very close: IE 800:      +0.4    –0.2    ––     ––     ––     –0.2    –0.2     ––      +0.4    +0.4 SE846       +0.6    –0.2    ––    +0.2    ––    –0.2    –0.2    +0.2    +0.2   ...
 Generally it's beneficial to add 0.4-0.6 dB at 31 Hz, 0.2-0.4 dB at 62 Hz and 0.4-0.6 dB at 16 kHz – to get a passable approach to the X5 II's sonic balance. But you can do a lot more for perfectioning the over-all neutrality of your head-/earphones. It's best to look for frequency-response graphs (not entirely reliable, though, especially in the upper treble) as a rough guideline and to try to get a good feeling for the sound changes you make with the EQ. Better do...