Posts by PurpleAngel

As your only using the E07K as an amplifier, then switching over to the E17 and using it's optical connection with the H140 should improve audio quality.I'm assuming the H140 (10 year old design) did not ship with as good a DAC chip as the WM8740 that is inside the E17. I like the idea you installed an SSD in the H140, way faster speed and I'm assuming the SSD uses less power then the original HDD.
 PCM is the normal uncompressed audio and the Yamaha is not doing any changes to the audio.If the Yamaha was doing changes (or some sort of processing), you would see words like Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby True-HD, DTS Master Audio, etc.
Having on-board audio enabled in the BIOS sometimes has a negative effect with add-on sound cards. I would assume an O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier would do the job, $130Little Dot MKIII tube amplifier, you might find a used one with your budget. Here is a used Audio-GD NFB-11.32 external DAC/amp, $195Better DAC chip then the Xonar DX's CS4398 and can easily drive your Q701s.You can connect it optically to the Xonar DX or even directly to your...
 If your connecting the source to the Yamaha and the input into the Yamaha is digital, like HDMI, optical, coaxial, USB, then the Yamaha would be having to use it's built in DAC.If the connection into the Yamaha was analog (RCA red/white) then the Yamaha's DAC would be bypassed.
 The Xonar DX comes with a nice CS4398 DAC chip :)So the DX is worth keeping, all you really need is an external headphone amplifier to plug into it.(hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar DX) Try reading up and asking on this thread about what would make a good headphone amplifier, for the Q701, with in your budget.Guessing it will be the Schitt Magni (or a used...
 I really doubt your ears would hear any improvement switching from the E07K's USB connection to the E17 optical connection.Also the E07K and E17 use the same WM8740 DAC chip.Installing the Rockbox firmware might(?) make a sound quality improvement.http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IriverInstall(unless you already installed Rockbox) Though about selling of the H140 and E07K and getting a FiiO X3?Everything in one package.
In question number 6, you misspelled quality, in "sound quality".
 Something I think makes a good value combo.Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used $60) which comes with a CS4398 DAC chip :)And a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60).So for $120 you will have some nice sound quality with your current or future headphones and a decent gaming setup. There is also the Hifimediy Sabre U2 USB DAC, $57+shipping ($8?), it comes with an even better DAC chip (ES9023) which should offer better detail, you could plug the E11K into it.And as it's...
 What kind of budget did you have planned for your audio setup? I'm going to guess that a sound card or amplifier has nothing to do with composing music on a computer, on a computer you use software to compose music, so the CPU is the hardware needed to compose.The sound card or external DAC/Amp is what you use to listen to the music, while it's being composed on the computer.Could sound card come with software for composing music, sure.I believe there is also the "Audio...
Any player talked about on this thread can easily work with the 27-Ohm SHure E315. I guess I would recommend the Sony E series and to save a dollars buy it used of eBay.Unless you need more the 8Gb or 16GB of memory storage and prefer to use the Rockbox firmware, then get the Clip+ or Clip Zip. The FiiO X1 ($99) is a nice player, comes with a CS4398 DAC chip :) and uses Micro-SD memory card ($20 for 32GBs)More power for headphones and can do line-output, which makes it...