Posts by PurpleAngel

Each year on-board audio improves and it appear the VII Hero is a fairly new model.So unless someone on Head-fi has already compared a Phoebus to the Maximus Z97.I guess you own ears are going to be the best judge if the Phoebus is better sounding then the VII Hero.
The Maximus VII Hero (Z97) does not use the all (maybe some) of same audio hardware as the Xonar Phoebus/Essence STX sound cards.   The sound cards use the TI 6120A2 headphone amplifier chip, the Hero uses something called the Sonic SenseAmp (no idea on it's details) Not sure if the Maximus VII Hero is also using the TI 6120A2, the Maximus VI used the TGP6120.   The sound cards use the PCM1792A DAC chip :) and the C-media CMI8788/888 audio chip-set. The Hero uses a...
 Really only need to use two banana plugs for each speaker, as the metal clips already connect two terminals to each other.Unless your bi-wiring the amp to the speakers, which I doubt would make a noticeable difference. 
 Maybe some used Sennheiser HD558s or used AKG K612 Pro?
 Amplifier outputs do not use RCA jacks (normally) for connection to the speakers.The RCA jacks on the back of the PM6004 are for line-in or line-output connections (Analog audio signal)For the speakers connections either you use the bare ends of the speaker wires or use Banana clips (connected to the ends of the speaker wire). When connection the Essence STX to the PM6004, you would use an RCA to RCA cable, one for each of the two channels (stereo audio).
 The Yamaha outputs twice the watts of the Marantz, but watts does not tell the whole story.Here in the USA the 6004 ($450) sells for about $50 more then the A-S500 ($400)I think the PM6004 is being closed out for the PM6005 ($700).So the PM6004 might be selling for less then it's real value. They both PM6004 & A-S500 weight 22.7 pounds (weird).As the A-S500 outputs twice the watts (bigger amps?), you would think it would weight more then the PM6004. Yea, I think the...
 Here in the USA, the best price I could find on the A-S500 is $325 (190 GBP).Check out the website forum AVforum (UK), they might know of something that is a better deal (brand or price wise).I like Yamaha, but you might as well check out for the best deal.
 Dolby Headphone Vs Creative Labs SBX (very loaded question).For FPS gaming, I believe the SBX seems to be more preferred, but a few do like DH better.There are two thread dedicated to headphone gaming, good place to ask DH vs SBX.http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-7-9-2014-ultrasone-hfi-15g-addedhttp://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound You might want to ask on...
 Do you know the make and model of your motherboard?Get a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card (Walmart $85)Comes with a built headphone amplifier, easily drive the K612 or DT880 250-Ohm.The DT880s offer a decently balanced sound, maybe a little on the "bright" side.The K612 Pro mostly get positive reviews. The DT880 and K612 are both open headphones, so the "audio leak" should be about the same. The Audio Technica ATH-AD900Xs are open headphones, they are only...
 I would make a guess(?) that a tube amplifier like the MKIII would improve (maybe slightly) the audio of the HD598s, over the E9 (or E09K?).The HD558/HD598 do respond when a lot of juice is thrown at them.(My HD558 do sound nice plugged into my Yamaha RX-V671 A/V receiver)But I'm not sure if the difference is worth it for the price paid for the MKIII.And you might end up swapping tubes to find what works best with the HD598. You might try reading up and asking on this...