or Connect

Posts by PurpleAngel

The FiiO X3 Gen II should offer better audio quality, then the X1 or E10K.
 Better to disable the on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you install the STX II card and it's software.There is a slight chance that having the on-board audio active (in the BIOS), might interfere with the install of the Asus Essence STX II software installation (slight chance). Once the on-board audio is disabled, in the BIOS, the computer will just ignore the Realtek software/drivers and Sound Blaster software, so deleting them is optional.I myself would prefer to...
 Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar D2X?Have you tried the Unified Xonar Drivers?http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/ When you say you crave more quality (audio quality), is this for both headphones or just referring to the DT990? If you get a DAC with a S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) input, you can connect it to the D2X's S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) output portThe Xonar D2X can send it's Dolby Headphone...
 My ATH-ESW9 headphones are my preferred portables.Otherwise I use my Beyerdynamic T90 headphones for everything else :)
 For a good bang for the buck and for FPS Gaming, Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card.Nice CS4398 DAC chip and can fairly easily drive 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.Used ones sell on eBay starting around $60.
The on-board audio on your motherboard is fairly decent. I would rate the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card (used $50 + $11 shipping) as at least a little better then your on-board audio. Better DAC chip and I'm assuming at least a little better (SBX) Headphone surround sound. Headphone amplifier might even be a little more powerful. http://www.ebay.com/itm/272225162776?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT   You might also read up an ask...
 Just does not seem worth it to get the Magni 2 and just plugging it into the STX's RCA jacks. There are some threads on Head-fi dedicated to the Sennheiser HD600 & HD650.You might want to read up and ask on those thread about what what amplifier would be worth getting that would be a noticeable improvement in audio quality, over the STX's amp.but really the headphone it's self, rather then the amplifier driving them, that makes the difference, and you already have good...
 The guy(s) behind Unified Xonar Drivers usually include C-Media updates sooner and can also do more tweaking with the drivers.Compared to Asus company guys who would be more concerned with stable drivers, so not as free to do the tweaking or experimenting with the drivers. I use to use my O2 head amp ($129) plugged into the STX's RCA jacks and I would assume the O2 is roughly equal to the Magni 2.And did finally replace my STX with an Audio-GD NFB-15 ($306) external...
 Audio devices connected to the Windows PC's USB ports will bypass the sound card and it's features.An external audio device using an optical connection will work with the sound card and it's features.
Do you need the extra features of a sound card or could you just get an external (USB) DAC/amp, for use with your laptop and headphones?   A FiiO K1 (USB) external DAC/amp is only $40.