Posts by PurpleAngel

The Titanium-HD used with the O2 headphone amplifier offers something the SB-ZxR can't.When the O2 is connected to the Ti-HD's RCA jacks, the Ti-HD runs audio thru the buffer op-amp (as well as the two I/V op-amps), so the dual LME49710 single channel op-amps come into play :)Where as connecting headphones to the SB-ZxR dedicated headphone amplifier, bypasses the dual buffer single channel op-amps :( The Ti-HD and SB-ZxR use the same PCM1794 DAC chip, at least for the...
 The Creative Labs Recon3D and Z (& Zx, ZxR) series all use the same SoundCore3D audio processor, like the one mounted on your motherboard.The SoundCore3D comes with a built in DAC features, so your motherboard and the Recon3D use that DAC feature.(the Recon3D's where never though of as having award winning audio quality)The Z series come with a added DAC chip (or chips), which provides better audio quality, over just using the SoundCore3D's DAC features.So a Sound Blaster...
Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the add-on sound card.   I would say to replace the XtremeGamer with the Creative Ti-HD (Titanium-HD) sound card. I'm guessing you can find one used, on eBay for around $100 (maybe less). I would say the Ti-HD has the latest revision from the audio processors used in the Creative Titanium series sound cards. The Z, Zx, ZxR series uses the newer SoundCore3D audio processor. Better...
 Apple products usually come with decent built in audio hardwareAnd the Teac might not be that much better then a good iPod A FiiO X1 or X3 digital audio player might be a better investment.
Audio-GD NFB-15 external DAC/amp, $270+shipping ($45?). http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm
Any reason the DAC needs to support 24-bit/192K Music CDs are 16-bit/44.1K, so any FLAC audio files made from music CDs would be fine if they are made at 16-bit/44.1K The last Blu-ray disk I watched was 16-bit/48K audio. I would assume a 24-bit/96K DAC would work just fine for over 95% of the world population. What is your over all audio setup? might effect the DAC recommendation. Budget for your DAC purchase?
For some reason currently the Sennheiser webpage will not display the specs on the HD598 (Sennheiser might not even know about the issue).   Boring can be one of the words someone would use to describe the sound of the 50-Ohm HD598 (I own the HD558). The HD598 do work their best when decently amped, so if the amplifier use in the WhatHiFi review was not very powerful, the HD598 might not have been working at it's best. The Sennheiser HD598 sound is more like your at a...
 On the STX (& STX II?) and ZxR, each has two dual channel op-amps used in the I/V slots, which are used by the headphone output.The STX/ZxR also have an op-amp (called the buffer) that's only used for the line-output (the I/V slots are also used for the line-output)While the STX uses one dual channel op-amp for the buffer slot, the ZxR uses two single channel op-amps for the buffer. Not sure what op-amps to recommend for the STX II and SB-ZxR.I had installed AD797BR...
 I've used beyer 250-ohm headphones with a FiiO X1, so a 42-Ohm headphone should not be a problem.FiiO might be coming out with the FiiO X3K soon.
 I own the ATH-A900X (the closed version of the AD900X), so hard for me to judge.But the AD900X will have more bass then the AD700X.