Posts by PurpleAngel

Takstar Pro 80.
 With the K550, you would not need a very powerful amplifier, so the NFB-15 would be overkill.But the AKG K712 Pro would need some juice to sound it's best, like the headphone amplifier on the NFB-15.
 There is the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card,$84, comes with SBX headphone surround soundand a decent built in headphone amplifier (maybe not as good as the Vali). Otherwise I think the Xonar DX sound card (used $60) with an external headphone amplifier (Vali) makes a good combo
For getting Dolby Headphone with the Vali amplifier. Get an Asus Xonar DG, DGX, DX, D1 sound card, they all come with Dolby Headphone and a DAC chip. Personally, I would get the Xonar DX, it's PCI-E and comes with a CS4398 DAC chip :)  Plug the Vali into the line-output/headphone jack on one of those cards, plug DT990s into the Vali. You will then get Dolby Headphone from the DT990s.
You could buy a FiiO E11K headphone amplifier, $60, plug it into the Xonar DX's line-output/headphone jack and plug the HD558 into the E11K. The E11K's headphone output impedance is less 1-Ohm :( You could also use the E11K with a smart phone or portable audio player.   Replace the Xonar DX with a Sound Blaster Z sound card, $84, it's headphone output jack has a 22-Ohm impedance, not perfect, but a fair bit better the DX's 100-Ohm.
 I own the Gemini HSR-1000, which appears to be a relabeled Pro 80.The Pro 80/HSR-1000 is a closed headphone and the Hi2050 is an open (semi-open?) headphoneSo yea the Pro 80 offers better isolation.I think the Gemini sounds a little better then my Hi2050.
 Are you currently going to be plugging the headphones straight into the motherboard?Do you know the make and model of the motherboard?
My "guess" is the AKG Q701 is going to be the better choice.
 So the ATH-M50 is not the right kind of bass you want?
 I'm guessing a lot of A/V receivers do not publish the headphone output impedance because it would not be a flattering feature to brag about.250-Ohm headphone like the Beyerdynamics would be a good headphone for use with receivers You could try an Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card, they are low cost, come with a basic head amp and Dolby Headphone.Can't be sure if it will not have the same issue as the on-board, or maybe not as much of a noise issue, or may have no noise...