Posts by Duncan

Yup, just ordered a pair on a whim... will be delivered tomorrow...I'm going to look at them as being £400 / €500 cans, rather than the MSRP value - and if they can come up close to the LCD2, then - they'll be a winner in my opinion (especially as arguably they're portable!)Watch this space
That was the point I was alluding to in my post, which Rob confirmed - the Hugo does a better job in itself than upsampling at source...
Hi Rob, Indeed, I get it completely (had to do it to find out for myself ) - Anyhow off-board upsampling isn't the same... A good experiment nonetheless...
After seeing / lusting after the Red Reference in @OK-Guy's post above, it made me think - that is upscaled to 176.4khz - now, would the Hugo benefit from me upscaling my music... I know @Rob Watts says PCM (44.1khz) is best for Hugo, but if they share the same blood-line... Hmm... might have to have a play around with dbpoweramp....
Once more conspicuous by my absence, been toying with getting new IEMs to partner the IE800... Considering Westone UM50 Pro and W50 alongside Inear StageDiver SD3s, but that led me on a tour of my other BA IEMs, Sony XBA4 / HA3, and the surprise of the show, the Heir Tzar 350... I swear that the Hugo pushes the Tzar (with its crazy 350ohm impedance) to levels I've not yet heard, the normally timid Tzars have a really tight (and relatively volumous) bottom end via Hugo...
Looking at the UM50 as a stablemate to the IE800, strong bass sounds promising, rich mids will be a nice contrast to the IE800s clean mids, but - the treble - just how rolled off is it on the UM50? - would it be like listening to music through cotton wool after the IE800? If the treble is not more muted than that of the Sony XBA4 / HA3 (the only BA treble I can relate to ATM) then I think I'm sold... If not, I suppose I'll have to weigh up if the W50 treble would be...
Question is what is described as decent... PCDPs are basically compromised, potentially decent sound quality, but with zero anti-shock, or - great anti-shock, but poor sound quality... The heyday Sony PCDPs were probably the D777 / D-E905, which have moderate anti-shock, and still pretty decent SQ... As was mentioned further up in this thread, it does need to be considered that a lot of these older players are now dying due to capacitor leaking / laser failure etc. -...
...compared to the IE800?Toying with the idea of getting the RE600, so your opinion would be highly valued by me
Holy Moly! ...Unsure as to why I did this, however - listened to some Prodigy at almost full volume on the Hugo, I really didn't realise that the H3 can kick as hard as it does! ...Interesting...
Hmmph... Amazon.com does not ship these to the UK - Take a look at the Amazon UK price