Posts by Duncan

Haha, you're not wrong!...I remember the bitter irony that I put, on my epic review of all those players, a footnote that I would not be seen kicking, or screaming into the MP3 era, but - here I am, with only a couple of Discman's still in the 'collection' (D50, and a D88, most others have bitten the dust due to electronics failure), and - more 'MP3' players than I can shake a stick at...It is truly scary how much the portable scene has changed in the past ten to fifteen...
Necro post, however - cannot believe the Sennheiser IE800 isn't in this role-call... Dominates over several others on this thread!
I have to say, this thread is a bit like a highschool reunion... Good to know so many founding fathers of the site are still around
The real reason for me asking is that the higher end IEMs have traits such as [for my ongoing example] incredibly clear treble, that S5 reviewers / owners are, in some cases moaning about (V-Shaped EQ) whereby higher end gear, whilst not exhibiting this 'V' have a much brighter / cleaner treble...Am unsure of exactly what people want from their IEMs / gear - is it because I'm reviewing a much lower end device than I'm used to listening to, or is it that most users at this...
For me, it is where I can forget that I'm listening to electronics to hear the music (it washes over me if you like) which - my full size rig cannot do, but ironically my portable rig (listed in signature - albeit not including the HA3 in this) can...I'm looking forward to the Hugo, when it comes later in the week expanding what the Vorzuge Duo has added to my listening pleasure - already, the former owner of the Duo @FortisFlyer75 was convinced enough in the benefit of...
that's fine Just seems strange to want to compare a $100 IEM to a $1000 IEM / CIEM, but I think I sort of get you now...
I could compare to the IE800, but what would be the point?Please elaborate (bearing in mind my pair is a review sample) as to the merit of this...FWIW I've already intimated re treble differences...
If you don't need analogue input, the DAC2D is the same cost as the Hugo...Would be a battle of the giants for sure Have to ask though, why would you use a portable DAP with a deskbound DAC?Okay, took me a moment to get that
...When I put it in my ears, it muffled the treble, but boosted the bass!Definitely worth a look though, for those with stiffened cables
Re point one, not sure how analogue it is, but try Poweramp, that has a rotary volume dial...Re point two, no - I think you'll find that that is just the phone reaching it's natural limits (only so much you can squeeze out of it, and don't forget at this point you're comparing in effect a deskbound rig versus a portable one!)Re point three, yes - I agree that changing output impedance can improve (or, obviously degrade) the sound - mostly - in my mind, damping of bass...