Posts by Shike

When you get a second to reply to this, just one last question.  What was the higher priced DAC you used and how was it connected?  Equally, were both using WASAPI?   I find it somewhat hard to believe you heard a night and day difference, but then again the DACs I've tested consisted of a Benchmark, a DacMagic, Steamer, and a Cary Xciter.  The two I own(ed) was the Xciter and still have the DacMagic.
  Since you ran measurements, could you actually provide them?  What testing gear and software did you use for the measurements (if it applies)?  Can you also supply more information about the testing methodology you used?   I suspect that the sync between the two would be the largest issue before measurements though, Nick found it extremely difficult to have things sync properly for testing beyond audibility.  How did you ensure that the sources were synced properly?
  The problem with this example is when the audible experience is identical.  When they both sound the same, arguments for practicality and objective analysis become abundant.  In terms of performance or ride, they're the same.  In terms of features and the items I listed before, they're not.  And if they aren't the same in terms of sound when properly tested, then one or both are not meeting the performance criterion.   In this case, the "experience" could be having a...
  No, but ignoring the facts as they stand helps absolutely no-one.  Is there evidence of an audible difference using proper testing methodology?   If the answer is "no", then I would hope someone would at least raise an eyebrow regarding the price of a product and various claims.  If the answer is "yes" then one should do their best to figure out why.  Some NOS DACs I've heard sounded different.  Why?  They did a very steep and early roll-off which was audible.   This...
  I can't tell if this is a sarcastic quip (because internet), but either way they're hardly the first guys that have tried to re-invent the wheel so to speak.  Unfortunately we found out what makes a good wheel quite a while ago.  Some aim towards making the best wheel possible considering that, and others . . . not so much.
  Having had a Cary Audio Xciter ($1600), I moved down to a DacMagic ($375 new when I got it).  I couldn't tell the difference in sound and was better off for it.     Why to buy a more expensive DAC?  Some of following maybe:   Switching Input Types Build Quality Aesthetics Origin of manufacturing Warranty/Support   The ODAC does get a nod if you're looking for a no nonsense USB DAC that performs very well for the cost.  However, the first things listed present an issue...
  Having heard many entry stat rigs which are considered the entry into "high-end" summit stuff . . . you're better putting the income towards the speaker rig.  Law of diminishing returns, many sounded like my K601's.  ESL and planar is IME redundant for headphones, and one hardly needs to spend the HD800 ransom for good performance.   My two cents of course . . .
ODAC - $150 O2 - $150 V-Moda M80 $230   I think this setup not only falls well within your budget, but would fit your tastes quite well . . .
Greetings,   Up for trade is a very good condition Pioneer Monitor 10 (original, non-R).  I'm out to try yet another pair of different headphone, just because as usual     As for what I'm looking to try, not sure.  I'm not really interested in AKG as I already have the two cans from them I'm interested in.  Equally, not interested in Grado, and I have enough IEMs.   So, I guess those that are interested in these shoot me a PM with what you want to trade (only...
I'd be concerned of poor layout and implementation for the new opamps.  Implementation is everything, and what works well for one opamp may throw the others into oscillation.