Posts by Shike

Without knowing speakers, listening habits, and distance that seems like a pretty big statement to make . . .
Greetings,   My X-Head seems to have kicked the bucket recently, so I'm looking for a replacement.  If anyone has one they're wanting to part with send me PM.  Thanks.
  True enough.  Still, the majority of people I've had try DH have freaked out.  I took it to a LAN party and a few "special" tracks with things mixed into the back channels.  Running them from DDL into the SU-DH1 produced interesting reactions from everyone that tried it.  Shame I lost my tracks though before I made a full backup :(
  There's no such thing as a "great" Yamaha silent cinema receiver IMO.  As for their headphone technology, I haven't heard it but in discussions it tends to get bagged a lot compared to DH.  And both of them are no where near the quality of a Smyth Realizer - which is why I only use DH for games/movies.  Of course, I have other computer based stuff for simple stereo HRTF like various VST's from Toneboosters.   If Yamaha's solution is the most recent that comes to mind...
  Headphones definitely play a role.  From what I understand Dolby depends on headphones to be as flat as possible in relation to a DF based FR - not sure what Yamaha's DSP expects.  This is another advantage of the Realizer I guess, in that it can calibrate to the ear and headphones as a system.   I've had great luck with:   ATH-AD700 AKG K601/K702 ATH-M40FS   I've had bad luck with:   Pioneer Monitor 10's Various IEMs (seems obvious why)   Haven't tried:   Senny...
  This isn't going to work with what we're discussing for all intents and purposes.  You're not going to get surround sound just based on picking a headphone, equally sound stage in regards to headphones is laughable at best (coming from a K702 owner).       I doubt it, vinyl has substantially higher crosstalk which will crush L/R imaging.       And snake oil.
  In all fairness, if someone is close to the generic HRTF that Dolby uses DH can offer a relatively impressive option for the price.  With DH it sounds like my headphones are actually 5.1 speakers themselves.  It's not of Realizer quality in that it is not a perfect match for my HRTF, can't mimic listening rooms/systems, and can't track my head.  However, for gaming and movie purposes with my HRTF, it's a stretch calling it "crapola".  Of course, I think the hardware...
  I can only imagine myself.  I have a Dolby Headphone solution which does imitate 5.1 well enough, but the Smyth is another ball game entirely.
Greetings, I have a Carver C-1 preamplifier with sonic holography imaging. This is rated as one of, if not the, best Carver Preamps still available today. It presents an effect that can be turned on and off that can feel as if you're surrounded by the band that is hard to imitate. It also features a very capable headphone amplifier with plenty of power which the sonic holography can work with also, giving an out of head sound similar to better quality crossfeed...
  Comparing the HE-400 to the K702, the HE-400 is more ragged with higher peaks and dips and a fairly similar curve.  The D2K have a bit less treble, but still rather close save a bump in the midrange.  The DT880 have less of a bump at 2K, but a larger peak at 10K.  The 598 removes the 2K bump while retaining a similar FR again.   I don't see how you can find the Q701 "bright" compared to these honestly - it's a pretty flat phone overall.