or Connect

Posts by HybridCore

DANGANRONPA 3: The End of Kibougamine Gakuen - Zetsubou-hen: Is that Nagi in the OP?
My bad, yeah it's GDDR5. Just checked the AnandTech preview/review. Yup Vega confirmed to have HBM2 which gets raises that 4GB limit on HBM1.
I honestly think that ends up boiling down to the fact that the Fury X, Fury, and Nano all use HBM1 where as the 8GB RX 480 is stuck with 8Gbps GDDR5X and honestly it seems quite unreasonable to expect HBM on a $230 or less GPU. Theoretically for AMD it would also be difficult. IIRC AMD's Fury and Nano cards were maxed out at 4GB HBM1 because 4GB was the maximum they could use per stack. If we had HBM1 on the RX 480 we would get better performance in lower resolutions but...
Do realize that Polaris is not meant to be the high end. It was never intended to compete with anything past a 970/980. You're trying to compare a midrange to a flagship die. Polaris die is 232mm^2 with 14nm FinFET LPP which is supposedly equivalent to about a 464mm^2 28nm die (at least according to WCCF so take that with a grain of salt). GTX 980 and 970 use GM204 which is a 398mm^2 die. 1664 stream processors (CUDA cores for the fancy name) on the 970 (while die size is...
I don't see anything wrong with the core performance right now. AMD's keeping up with NVIDIA and vice versa. AMD just happens to have the lead because they took the early bet on asynchronous computing with GCN so DX12, Vulcan, etc. all align in AMD's favor and also the fact that the console market loves APUs so AMD has control of the wheel regardless of what Pascal looks like right now. Also Apple supposedly will be using Polaris in their next laptops so...yup. AMD drivers...
That $20 premium is for efficiency miles ahead of Polaris and at least following NVIDIA's claims, better performance. The RX 480 is GTX970 territory, GTX 1060 is supposedly GTX 980 territory. Not that surprised. The GTX 1080 draws about the same power as the RX 480 and performs miles better. Speaks about the efficiency of Pascal as an architecture. Personally I would still take a 8GB RX 480 over the GTX 1060 because I have some qualms with Pascal itself as an architecture....
Wait Ram of Rem?I don't see anything wrong with this. It's easier for NVIDIA to take the 1080 and 1070 board and simply not completely populate it for the 1060. The bareness of some spots not meant to be populated also means NVIDIA did a good job of fitting more onto the die. The one part I do have to criticize is power delivery though. That looks kind of...lackluster here. But it is half die so not surprised.6GB is completely usable. Do realize that the 480 and 1060 are...
Rem and Ram are definitely the best characters in the show. Not surprising since the first half of the series was basically spent fleshing them out. It's an interesting choice instead of focusing more of Emilia (technically she got the first few episodes) but it really does shroud her in a bit more mystery. While I'm generally not one to say these things, Rem really is best girl. Meanwhile end of episode 15 does leave some kind of hints as to what's happening.  [[SPOILER]]
Hm I made it a MBR drive b/c I didn't make the VM EFI available to avoid some possible headaches. I also didn't regen mkinitcpio (wiki's install guides said that unless I set up custom hooks I wouldn't have to). Everything I did afterwards was basically the same though. Edit: also used grub instead of syslinux-systemd. Edit: hm read up on the bootloader wars and it looks like I should be using syslinux for BIOS and EFISTUB or systemd-boot/gummiboot for EFI instead for...
Just binged all of Re:Zero, really liking it so far. At first I thought this was going to be another one of "those" shows but it's getting really good. As hard as it was to watch the last few episodes though, I'm kind of expecting a happily ever after kind of ending though,  [[SPOILER]]