Posts by bassgroove

I have been away for a while, but am back.   I ended up sending the C4s back for a remould and it took over 3 months for them to be returned, a problem with the manufacturer.  This was disappointing and I did get to a stage where I feared they would never be returned.  I do not think in any way reflects on David Annez or Frogbeats as a company, but they do seem to have some supplier side issues.  I would advise contacting David Annez prior to ordering with them.  I would...
bunchi99, an alternative choice, I have a pair and highly recommend them.   Frogbeats C4s.  They are full spectrum from deep bass to excellent mids and trebles and despite having a different sound signature are, I would suggest about 80-90% the quality of my Ultrasone Edition 8s.   http://customs.frogbeats.com/frogbeats-c4   The logo is ugly, I agree, but you can get them without the logo.
Response to Cameron NYC re: AK120 + Intruder.   I don't know about the Intruder, but with the RSA SR-71a and the AK120 I find the SQ to be perfect.  It is tonally rich, excellent soundstage, great dynamics, virtually no noise, pitch black background and if I close my eyes I can see myself in the studio listening as the album is being recorded.  The bass is open, extended, transparent but still powerful; the midtones are rich, relaxed but complete and not at all...
P.s. Someone was asking about the quality of the DAC stage in the AK120.   It is awesome.  There is absolutely no detectable jitter to my ears.  I would say it is better than the CLAS -dB which to my ears was better than the Schiit Bifrost.  The bottom line is that unless you start timestamping the audio data and use a GNSS or atomic clock with corrections I don't see how it can get better, even then that would probably just add some more lag to the processing,...
I am still in shock.   One of my best and oldest friends is a music producer in London, he does a fair amount of work at Abbey Road and in his own studio.  I have spent countless days in his own studio where he has tens of thousands of pounds worth of equipment.  I have heard him record, sample, mix, sequence, master and do just about everything else.   If I close my eyes and simply listen I am there.   It sounds and feels exactly like being in his...
You are looking at a Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo -dB (black) with full packaging and two additional custom silver cable mini USB to Apple 30-pin iDevice ends.   This DAC is mindblowingly good.  If you know what DACs are for and you are an audiophile you will not find this disappointing at all.  This beats my desktop DAC (Schiit Bifrost) hands down.  It also has Apple's proprietary chip to extract the raw digital data direct from the iPod, iPad and iPhone which is...
I am also looking at pairing something with the AK120.  I am concerned about battery life on the Continental, but am wondering whether running CIEMs with it at lower volumes will produce a better battery life.  7 or 8 hours for a new battery is not great.  If it was designed so you could replace or swap the battery out on the go it would make life a lot easier for long haul flights and the like.
So, as someone who has a range of equipment: Icon Audio HP8 Mk II, Schiit Bifrost, Ultrasone Edition 8 Limited, Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo -dB, RX Headphone amp, various other headphones, etc. I had been investigating CIEMs for a while, but you just can't know until you buy them and have them built and hopefully they arrive with a good fit.   I looked at Heir Audios, JH Audio, Etymotics, Shure, Frogbeats, etc.   I wanted the compact size, the sound isolation and...
I work offshore.  By offshore, I mean away from any shore, not on land.  Normally around 200NM+ (nautical miles) from land and go back to land perhaps one day a month for the vessel's regular crew change.  I don't think they can deliver to these kinds of locations.   Sometimes I am on land, but then it is often in places you don't want to go to, let alone having custom hifi equipment delivered to: Angola, Nigeria, etc.
I appreciate your input.   In the end I have gone with Frogbeats C4 for the previously mentioned reasons:   1- Local (UK) startup company and I reckon it's good to support new enterprises in this time of economic stagnancy.   2- Glowing reviews (although limited and is pretty much a dark horse) and they source their components from the same places as Heir and JH Audio from what I have read, so they may have a similar quality of sound, although probably a...