Posts by firev1

Timing is externally provided, see U8. Them lytics look like the good kind. I would love to see the sort of improvements it makes on FFT, I have seen some good with USB isolators, I expect this to be somewhat similar or with high hopes, better.
My meet impressions:   Schiit amps with the Uber Bifrost : This time I really like their line up, I tested the Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 with the HD800s. The Valhalla 2 for its price has no major flaws and is one of the few amps that I really enjoyed with the HD800, the Lyr though was slightly aggressive sounding but resolves bass tighter than the Valhalla, I could imagine these characteristics would go really well with Ortho bass. Really had fun and took up a bunch of time...
Nice to see progress coming along! I posted on the ODAC thread about the possible benefits of USB isolation so I believe in their usage. As for testing, single laptops in my experience are really not idea for RMAA testing of these devices. What you really want ideally separate laptops for testing or in some others case, separating the interfaces(soundcard PCI and generator/DAC on USB). This is to avoid ground loop issues. I usually have 2 laptops on battery for testing. 
Having lived with the UD110mk2 for some time(and recently with an USB isolator) I compared it with the ODAC and I have to say that with the isolator, the ODAC really pulls ahead of the UD110mk2 and not by a small margin. Without isolation though, I would prefer the UD110mk2, just less troublesome then the ODAC. Some tips for the designer to improve on would be better clocking, despite Async operation, the UD110mk2 tends to have little jitter rejection at the low...
On Jriver 19, WASAPI of course, Directsound royally screws you over with the sample rate converter, it will convert everything to whatever you set on control panel, not exactly the idea of bit-perfect playback. Yes check them buffer settings, change from Wasapi Event to Push or whatever neccessary. Also what is the computer/laptop like?   Yeah but most designers do not take into account common mode noise because of it is there sometimes and other times it just isn't....
The results of course are repeatable with not just the ODAC but other usb DACs I have on hand like the measurement interface and the UD110mk2. Its just that the O2 has the most gain in supply isolation. Also the point of this exercise was to show that isolation can help out those whose chain may be susceptible to these faults but are unable to change out whole components to get a cleaner supply. The Lifebook without the VGA connected monitor is pretty clean and gets me the...
For me subjectively, its always a blacker background ,less "thickness" from distortion in the sound and more importantly, I get less listening fatigue. For example comparing this the UD110mk2, the ODAC to me sounded more similar then different from the UD110mk2 before placing in the isolator. Also it does not help that I have more experience with the ODAC losing lock easily over time or from changing sampling rates. All my relevant data cables tend to have ferrite beads...
I'm at least half sure that a battery may be overkill but hey :P have fun! I would love to do battery power electronics as well. Here is ground pollution from my VGA monitor, not sure about how newer monitors would work. Rig this time is Monitor >Fujitsu Lifebook-> ODAC->ADC-> Adum4160 isolator-> Lifebook. Taking out the monitor gives me a clean spectrum.   Maybe the rigs you have been using are cleaner then most but I find that its not the case with some of us which may...
This http://www.head-fi.org/t/703334/doodlebug-usb-isolator Yes I have tried without AC power and and rigs I'm using have sufficiently clean usb power which measures roughly the same(or a little worse at most) as the below graph. (take note that the graphs are not indicative of the ODAC's true performance as it exceeds the ADC). The signal to noise on rough calculation is approximately -87dbFS  which would be pretty audible. Edit: Tested with my Fujitsu laptop(AC in...
I remembered seeing stuff like "digital signals don't distort" yada yada. Fact: ODAC is not completely immune to noisy power supplies. I can get hold of more rigs to demonstrate it but I believe the fact that ODAC has poorish PSRR to be pretty conclusive regardless of setup. Something like the Doodlebug would be a great product with the ODAC. What happened on the blog was the lack of detailing in the test chain he used for the ODAC, if you are on battery all the time, its...