Posts by Throdd

This is true--I often forget that I have an employee discount ;) My mistake. At least you can probably demo them there if they have a Magnolia Home Theater section.
My local Best Buy carries both the AKG K550 and A-T A900X, and I'd recommend either one, although they sound quite different.  I own a pair of SRH840's that I would consider analytical and I very nearly stepped up into SRH940's but went for a more fun (i.e. not analytical/cold) sounding headphone instead. So from my somewhat limited experience, I'd like to echo the thoughts of many people before me:  A900X, K550, SRH940, in that order of preference :)   The former...
He helped me with two headphone purchases (including my first) and which DAC/amp to buy as well.  I now have (and love) my Denon D5000's and FiiO E10.  Great guy, kept up in PMs with my nitpicky questions as well.  Always happy to see his posts... wonder what he does to get all that headphone money though.  What a massive inventory. 
I personally just switched from the SRH840 to Denon D5000.  The comfort is a huge improvement, and so is the sound.   I think my ears are a little warmer (thus, potentially sweatier) than they were in the SRH840's, so this may (?) increase your itching problem.  YMMV of course. Bass is definitely heavier, but you don't lose anything else for it.  In fact, everything else improved too.  You can EQ down the lower range of the bass if you don't like the tactile...
Thanks very much everyone.  Denon D5000 it is! :)
For the large majority of what I listen to, I don't perceive bass being a requirement.  The "metal" I listen to is 98% symphonic/melodic power metal (primarily Scandinavian) which isn't very bass-focused.  Granted, my headphones up to this point have been bassy/warm (QC15's and SRH840's) with a good boom/thump (respectively) whether I want it or not.  I guess I don't know what a headphone truly "without bass" would sound like.   Is $260 really overpriced for what you...
Hey MalVeauX!  You're super helpful :) I know you have the SRH940's and the D5000's.  I read your review on the SRH940's.  Based on that, I was wondering if that might be a very good option for me as well, considering that I want to have the intimate vocals you described in your review and a high level of detail/clarity in the high end. Would you mind comparing the two options for me?  Is there even a comparison worth making, or are the D5000's really that much...
Yup, my onboard audio was pretty noisy, so I needed the DAC to clean it up.  Even so, I get an improvement on that same DAC from my desktop PC, which has a decent dedicated sound card to compare to. This could be sampling bias, however, because my DAC (FiiO e7) is also an amp.  Then again, sound cards have built-in amps as far as I'm aware, so it should, theoretically, still be comparing apples to apples. I dunno, like you said, it's all pretty confusing :)
I'll be watching this thread closely as I'm very interested in the results.  I'm pretty much at your level of knowledge, so I don't have much to contribute, although my impression from browsing these forums for a while now is that you will, unfortunately, probably have to buy multiple headphones for your different genre tastes. Also, I can say from experience that upgrading to a USB DAC vastly improved the audio on my laptop.  YMMV, of course, as it largely depends on...
As an owner of the SRH840's, I'm very pleased with them, but my musical spectrum is fairly focused.  They have good bass impact when amplified, but they're supposed to be driven easily regardless.  I don't feel like bass is their strong point.