Posts by iamsmrt

Have a work-related obligation all weekend, but hopefully will pop by for the end of the event if I can get out a bit early on Sunday.  Possibly bring ATH-W3000ANV, but that's likely it, I'll already be lugging a work laptop coming directly from my work event.   I personally find the idea of headphone meets hilarious because it's a social gathering for an antisocial hobby, but they can also be lots of fun :)
Interest too if I don't have to work.  I've got the Audio-Technica W3000ANV, W2002, ESW9 & EW9 clipons.  Normally use laptop, benchmark dac-1 & old school dynahi amp with oritek x-1 rca cables.
I followed this thread from the beginning for a while and even posted a mini-review along the way, but it's grown to 112 pages!  Is there an actual full review, or any longer-ish mini reviews posted in this thread anywhere?  Apologies, I tried search on google and head-fi and nothing jumped out at me.   Cheers :)
Forgot to mention another interesting article I read, although it's just to inform people and hopefully nobody wets their pants.  It's probably also why the w2002's originally came in a case.  This forum link (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110871-urushi-and-light/) summarized the findings of a published scientific study done (http://www.springerlink.com/content/n702360v8774m06x/) on the effect of natural and UV light on urushi lacquerware (ie....
Interesting info in the W3000ANV instructions about the urushi lacquer.   "The housing has a rich gloss produced by layer upon layer applied by the skilled hands of artisans, and its supple texture is unique to this special kind of lacquer.  The wood grain, which is barely visible when the lacquer is initially applied, starts to show after 5 to 10 years."   5 to 10 years?!?  Guess I"ll have to look more closely at my w2002's back home!   Wanted to drop a lil...
Yeah, I think the FR is less "n-shaped" than the w2002 and actually sound OK with rock unlike the w2002.  I found the same thing Wind, that at first there was little bass and hyper-treble-y, but then warmed up with burn-in to the point where the midrange was strong so that the treble felt less emphasized.  Out in the countryside now (should have left the phones burning in at home!  doh!) but hopefully the bass slam shows up over time because although the extension was...
Thanks for your impressions MuppetFace!  Nice to hear comparisons to other AT woody cans as well 
Stupid as it sounds, I didn't even realize they both have the "3000" in common!  Thanks for pointing that out, feel kinda silly not noticing that.   Thanks for the thanks!  I just wanted to make a contribution as my appreciation for music has benefited so greatly from this website as I get to hear it delivered in a sound signature I love.  Really looking forward to hearing impressions from more senior members of the head-fi crew as well, especially Skylab.  Hell,...
Yeah, I'd say so, mostly to me because the attack seems so much better and the sound has more texture.  When I listen to songs I know extremely well though, they don't quite "pop", like the sound detail doesn't blow me away liked I'm used to, but I think this has WAY more to do with me running this straight out of a laptop and not having my DAC & amp.  I think with a real DAC and amp, my guess would be that the detail would be improved relative to the w2002.     From...
Unfortunately, I can't comment on the w1000X as I've only heard them for 1 minute in the Nagoya equivalent of Tokyo's Akihabara.     The isolation is pretty much just like the w2002's if I had to guess, pretty bad but maybe a smidge better?  I'm listening at elevated sound levels right now to test these guys out, but my girlfriend can hear the song pretty clearly it seems sitting next to me in a perfectly quiet room.  So not too isolate-y :(