Posts by nikp

Hello.    You might want to try the HD600 to gain those edges, but DT880's soundstage is noticeably bigger so it's a trade off.
  I agree. The Ed 8 isn't as good as the HD800, T1 or even its younger siblings. It's probably why they are not mentioned a lot here at Head-Fi.
Portability: IEM > Headphones. Smaller, easier to carry. Build Quality: Generally, headphones, especially monitoring headphones, have a much tougher build. IEMs are fragile. Comfort: Headphones can often be used for an extended period of time. Having something in the ear canal isn't comforting for some/most. Life: Headphones last longer than IEMs in my experience. IEMs tend to break within 3 - 4 years (detachable cables extend its life though). Modding:...
Here's an article/review of the HD600 in 2002, the time when it's Sennheiser's very own flagship. Oh how times have gone by.    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun02/articles/sennheiserhd600.asp
  The IE8 have smooth gently rolled off treble like the HD650. OP wants "an IEM that has the clarity and balance of the westone 4 but the bass and sound stage of the Sennheisers and from what iv read the IE8/80 and ex1000 are my best options." W4 is the one that should be eliminated given his requirements - bass and soundstage is not a strong point of the W4.   Haven't heard the EX1000 but looking at reviews, the EX1000 may sound better than the IE8/x. The EX1000 is a...
Without an amp and plugged into an ipod, I say that the M50 still sounds better than the HD25. Something that hasn't been mentioned here is that the HD25 has recessed mids and soundstage is awfully small.
Why not convert them to ALAC? It's the same thing as FLAC but more convenient if you're an iDevice user.
Funny thread! But anyway, the HD600 is probably lower hi-end. Saying it's mid-fi sounds like it is similar to the M50, SRH840 which the HD6x0/DT880 clearly isn't.   @OP Go for the HD800 if you don't mind the $$$. It's a good upgrade in terms of soundstage, clarity and resolution but don't expect unicorns to sing. 
  Here we go again.    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how "diverse" his experience is. Recessed midrange isn't a bad thing at all. The TripleFi 10's mids sounds a bit recessed but I still like them. Imho, the HTF600's mids are recessed and muddy. Getting rid most of the bass will make this headphone so much better. Really, these cans deserve more detailed reviews. I will write a review on this in my free time but will have no comparison of other...
  My HTF600 has well gone through hundreds of hours. I wanted to believe in burn in, I really do, but sound doesn't change much. Honestly, I myself agreed with Joker only on his high end universal IEM reviews. By the way, his rating system doesn't include high end or even mid level headphones. If the HD800 is in the rating system, it is likely over 10 because the difference with the HD25 is too massive. I agree with most of his points on the HTF600 aside from the "well...