Posts by reginalb

-Headphone(s) / earphone(s) you possess: Sony MDR 1/ABT, Grado PS1000, maybe UM Merlins (1st Gen) - these need to go in for repair, so it will depend on when I might or might not receive it if I would have them at the time of review.  -Any DAP(s) / DAC(s) / amp(s) you may possess: Sony ZX1, Pixel XL, Nexus 6, HiFiMan 801, Schiit Valhalla 2 -Descriptions and links to review(s) you may have posted: Not done a write up in a while,...
What did the mod entail?
 No, it's not just about knowing your habits (nor can you possibly know it off the top of your head if you listen to a variety of music - I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people think that they know their habits and don't.)  Plus, it can give you recommendations, LastFM can help you discover new music based on those listening habits.  It's definitely more valuable if you use a streaming service, but if you sometimes use a streaming service, and sometimes don't, then...
 Alternatively, if treble is what you're worried about, you could save $70 and use EQ.  Get the Vali if you think tubes look $70 cooler (and I'm not making fun, I think tubes are really cool so I took a good deal on a Valhalla 2 for my desk.)
 You will find that a lot of descriptions of sound signatures don't sit with the facts when you measure them. You'll also hear tomes written about the difference between DAC's. Good luck even being able to tell them apart during a proper ABX. And all the hand wringing about the problems with the stress created by blind tests are fine, except that you if you can't even tell them apart, then the difference isn't enough for all the silly flowery descriptors bandied about. 
Where?
 Using an old avatar of his here, so I don't think it's coincidence. But the profile linked only has 91 posts from what I see. 
 Unless the transcoder in use is garbage for the format it's fed from Tidal.
 Let's say that this is all true, just for the fun of it.  What's the point? A female Soprano tops out at like 1,200-1,300 Hz, I think Mariah's whistle register squeals are at like 3Khz.  You've got cymbals and piccolos that can produce some pretty high frequencies, but nowhere near 20Khz. So it might be that there are applications for capturing higher frequencies (and there are - some scientific research), but it's not music. If music isn't produced up there, why would...
 Get another Modi, or better yet, get a Schiit Fulla, if it's just for headphones. I use a Valhalla 2 on my desk, I had planned to play with it and sell it, but it looks really cool, and I got it used at a great price. That's the only reason I use it. I use a $20 DAC with it, and it's great. I use a DAC at all externally, because I switch between two computers a lot, and the DAC is plugged in to a hub that is connected to both via a USB switch so I can swap my audio (both...