Posts by Norway

mutabor's takeaway from the video is very different from mine. I interpret a_recording's video as a message of principles.   The principles I gather are the right to discuss potential structural (unconscious and conscious) biases and how they might color the perception of professional reviewers with the current review model on this platform, as this is the biggest community and where the elimination of such biases might be to the best of the community at large. By not...
 As far as I see it there are two main groups of biases, those one is conscious of and decide to act upon or not, like incentives to get more review samples from company x by only giving a positive review of product y, even though doing so means not being completely truthful. Then there is the large part of biases that are unconsciously implanted and not acted upon consciously. However, the end result is that one's conclusions are distorted by them without one even...
 True capitalism is wonderful, but it requires transparency. Read any textbook on economics and you will see that symmetrical information is essential to a well oiled free market economy. Crony capitalism is based on a select few dictating all encompassing policies of both fiscal and monetary nature, and this often goes on behind the scenes by the gatekeepers. This is information asymmetry and it is not efficient. It does not benefit the market, but select groups which the...
 Yes, each reviewer brings his own biases, but what a_recording brings up is a systemic bias. It is structural by nature and probably works in most if not all professional reviews. Individual biases come in different variations, whereas this structural bias is likely to be extremely strong and will probably dominate the review more so than individual biases. As a reader you can also eliminate a person's individual biases by (1) noting them and interpret their content in...
Sticking my big head in just to say that even though Shure, Stax and other brands mentioned in official editorial content is not always directly sponsoring the site, retailers who sell those brands are. So in that way, skewing the information in favor of those products would still be beneficial to both Head-Fi and (some of) the sponsors.   Also, I think that there can be an incentive to be opportunistic about editorial content. For instance where one gives a glowing...
 I put a super evil spell on him for doing that. Abracadabra, all cans should sound tizzy and harsh to the wonder man that is Tyll Hertsens.
These are extremely funny cans. I think they are a very viable option for those who never got Sony MDR-XB700s before they were discontinued. I think that these lie somewhere in between XB500 and XB700. Also, they look 10x hotter, :)   Yes, they have elevated bass, but that is probably the intention. I don't think they aim for neutrality and resolution here. I enjoy mine a lot, and when they wear out I hope they're still available, because these are now my fun cans over...
Cool! This is very interesting.   But now Violectric should correct the typo in "RISC OF ELECTRICAL SHOCK", which is also printed on the rear of my V200. It's risk, not risc :)
I hope they also incorporate backlit green text in the next D100 as it does not light up the green text like other McIntosh products. Wonder why they didn't use back light on the D100. Look at headphone, input, level etc. And then with another component.     Look at the text around the knobs.   PS: McIntosh is also introducing a pair of headphones and a headamp.   McIntosh has also revealed that it is developing its own headphone range to go with the MHA100....
 Yes, I was stupid enough to buy the cheap Chinese knockoff pads for HD 650/HD 600 on ebay. They are not the same quality at all and they won't even sit snug in the cup because the locking mechanism on them is a bit to big. They come popping out all the time. Will trim the plastic on them to see if it works out. Have also sent the seller a complaint. Bought thinking it would be fun to try something other than stock pads, and it's ok that they don't have the same quality...