Posts by Fish-Head

Back again and a big thank-you to all for the excellent advice on my previous query! I want to build some speakers for outdoors which will be driven by car stereo(Kenwood, 25watt/ch, poss. add power amp to 100watt/ch). They need to be fairly compact, such as in the range of the ones I am now using (17"H x 8"W x 12"D) although I would be willing to go a bit larger. Main thing, they need to play loud, have plenty of bass response, and play for long periods of time! ...
OK, OK, I suppose I was asking for that....but here's my dilemma: I don't actually have 201's, instead I have an enclosure which I made myself based on specs that don't exist at a time when all I had was a circular saw, hammer and nails....well, maybe that's stretching it a bit, but no joke! I came out of it with some real nifty sounding speakers and the 6 1/2 inchers were part of the componentry. Now, they're not sounding as good any more (after 20+ years) and I'd...
Hello all....I'm trying to find some replacement woofers for my Bose 201's....I believe they're a 6 1/2 inch fairly full range speaker. I'd like to get Bose replacements, can anyone tell me where to look, and where the best price might be? Fish Head
Hirsch - Thanks for your kind explanation.....funny, I was thinking graph paper too! I think by putting a light directly above the cart, I should be able to see if it lines up perfectly as well in terms of the perpendicular measurement to the line which extends from the center of the spindle to the stylus. This is fun. JML - Thanks to you also for your remarks......the answer is, I'm surprised because I am ignorant to large extent - kinda new to this whole TT thing...
Greetings Hirsch! Thanks for your observations....I do question the alignment and have tried to research the site on how to do this with my linear tracking, Yamaha PX-3 turntable. So far, no luck....lots of info on traditional tracking, but none on the linear. I HAVE played with the VTA and find that, as referenced in FAQ's, it can improve the high end by increasing the angle somewhat.....still, the older cart prevails. Again, any leads on how to properly align linear...
Thanks to JML and HIRSH - I will check out those sites and get an idea of what's out there. Any thoughts on why the new Grado Black doesn't sound even as good as the old Yamaha MC-705? I was really disappointed and thought maybe I had not properly installed it.....re-checked all the variables and seems everything is ok....hmmmmm.
Hi all, I need a place to research the info about turntables and cartridges. I'm just getting re-acquainted with the smooth, full sound of vinyl and actually burning some of this onto cd-r from my personal collection. I find the same album sounds 10X better when I do this than the commercially offered audio cd.....probably because of the way I oversample with my pc (44,100) rather than the mass-production route of most of the larger companies like Columbia...
Nobody seems to have responded to the issue of the old Audio Technica ATH-5's I have (not HD414's). They are also very listenable and talk about comfort....WOW! Fish
Thanks, all. I will definitely give the Senns and the Grados the ear.....who knows, I just might BE broke by the time I get my REAL "cans!" Again, what a neat site and so many helpful folks. I'm glad I found you..... Fish
My thanks to you, youngjun, for your kind observations. I will try to give a listen to the Senns. Can you advise where to buy at best price, online? Website? Don't really like the harsh mids either....