Posts by captouch

Yeah, I hear the 6060F and 6120 may sound even better. I think people just have an image of Sony based on how mainstream they are today, and don't immediately think of them when they think vintage. But seriously good stuff to be sure.
Here's an update of the receiver/integrated battle I posted that I was going to do a few posts ago.  First a picture of the contestants - the Sony is missing, but it's in the post above.  Again, I used Yamaha NS-690 II's as my test speakers, volume matched as best as I could with a iPhone SPL app, used several music cuts of different genres and styles.     Round I, Match I (SS Integrateds):   Yamaha CA-600 (original) vs Marantz 1060 (restored):   Close match, but...
A pic of my Sony STR-6055 since I took it out of its shelf today.  A friend was kind enough to give me this unit (in exchange for some work I did on his other receivers), and a parts unit where this case and faceplate came from.  So the case and nice faceplate were swapped onto the working unit and I fixed the parts unit (just rerouted around a bad power switch), which is now a garage unit.       There's something special about these Sonys - they sound really good....
It's not the same model, but I sold a QR-6500 on CL for $200.
I've never done a real comparison of my receivers and integrateds, so with the prodding of a friend, I'm going to do some A/B comparisons of five 25-30W SS and tube receivers/integrateds, and throw in a couple of 50-55W receivers and maybe one 12W tube integrated (not sure about the last one - may not be a fair fight, but would even up the numbers).   The lightweight contenders will be: Marantz 1060 Yamaha CA-600 Sony STR-6055 Fisher KX-100 Scott LK-72   The...
 I haven't heard them, but I agree with SpeakerBox that the Pioneers would be a good option to check out - good bang for buck I've heard.  If you want to stay vintage, Dynaco A25's are nice sounding classic large bookshelf-sized speakers that would probably run you $200 or so. No CD player to try and hook up to the Marantz?  If your speakers can't conveniently be hooked up to the receiver, you can also use headphones to see whether you're getting sound out of both channels...
 Welcome to another Bay Area audio guy.  I'm in the South Bay.   Unless your receiver has a serious problem, you may be able to fix it yourself.  As others have said, DeOxit will come in handy for dirty controls (volume, tone controls, push buttons).  Since you're retired, the question is whether you want to get into learning some of this stuff yourself.  Things like checking offset/bias and cleaning your controls all aren't very hard. Post here once you hook it up and let...
Did you adjust bias on the unit? I've come across multiple units that didn't sound right or had outright problems (static, distortion) on one channel or both. After adjusting bias current and offset (where applicable, the last Sherwood I worked on didn't have an offset adjust), they sounded so much better.
 Nice.  I've read there's something special about that particular model, sound wise.  Looks great too.
It's built really well (25lbs or so, solid metal selector knobs with set screws, metal covers over many boards), access to most boards is pretty easy.  Elegant, understated, simple face.  Pre-out/main-in jacks with coupler switch so you don't need the U-shaped metal jumpers, two phono inputs (one with adjustable R settings), two AUX inputs, defeatable tone controls, variable loudness. Bias and DC offset easy to set with test posts for bias test locations. I was expecting...