Posts by captouch

Is there anything in particular you're looking to improve upon?  What speakers are you driving with the CA-800? From my experience, the Yamahas are really nice units (heavy duty, high build quality) and very neutral.  If you just wanted a different flavor (more warmth/color, etc) that's one thing, but just curious about what you're trying to get that you don't get with the CA-800.
I agree on the looks. To a point, I'll take a classy/sexy looking piece that is a step below a pedestrian or ugly piece that sounds somewhat better.
 Well, I'm not familiar with that model, but here are the considerations I would think about: If it's original/unrestored, it will require servicing at some point since the caps are >35yrs old.  If you can do the work yourself and it's a reasonably easy unit to access boards to do the work, that's not a big deal.  But if you say it's  an extremely difficult to service, you either better be good/experienced to undertake the servicing, or willing to pay a fair amount of...
Right, most just have dropping resistors that cut the power down to something that gives you more travel on the volume knob without risking blowing your headphone drivers.I have a pair of HE-5LE's and have run them straight out of the speaker outputs (just using a four wire to XLR adapter). I haven't listened to headphones in quite some time though.Nice thing is that these vintage receivers/integrateds can run speakers well, so you can have the best of both worlds and...
 You really have to take a look at the operating condition and bring your headphones to demo them with the unit.  Because some of these old units may have a relatively higher noise floor than what you'd find with a modern headphone amp, and you need to see whether that's the case and if so, whether that will bother you or not. And there's a pretty wide range of power in the list you have there.  The Marantz is only 15W, but should sound pretty warm and will have that...
 You never know.  I never thought I'd be majorly invested in vintage stuff either, but it can be a little addictive when you get a nice vintage piece that oozes quality and tactile goodness.  But it is smart to start slow and see how it appeals to you.  It's very good that you're good with a soldering iron though - that and a little troubleshooting ability can really save you a lot of money. I have a Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball as well, by the way.  It does go great with...
Really depends upon your budget, but you can start with less expensive units and see how it goes from there.Within the Marantz line, you can try a 2010 or 2015 - lower wattage, so many using speakers may want the higher powered units, but these should be fine for your HD650's. If you don't want or need radio, you can also consider an integrated like a 1060. All should be attainable for $100-200 if you shop around, and the 1060 is pretty easy to recap/restore.Outside of...
 Quite a difference in price between the Leben and Marantz, plus it's tubes vs SS.  Wouldn't be surprised if the 1060/2230 don't quite reach the level of the Leben. Will you have it recapped by someone else?  Already know what kind of caps you're going to use?  There's someone on AK called patfont that has done a lot of experimentation and A/B-ing of different caps in those units.  You may want to look that up.  He has, from time to time, also sold kits of complete sets of...
Matt, did you check out the Heresy's? Thoughts?
 The A25's are special speakers, for sure. Back to the topic of vintage receivers. . . I'm likely going to add a nice Sony STR-6060F to the stable.  I'm planning on having it recapped before I lay hands on it, so it'll be awhile until I have my own pictures.  As posted earlier, I like the STR-6055 a lot (and it's original/not recapped), so looking forward to hearing what a recapped 6060F sounds like.