Posts by NamelessPFG

From what I can tell, the latest HDFury models do add some neat features, but the older ones are still available if you don't need those features and want to keep the cost down. The first one does have some sort of horizontal image shifting issue, but the GDM-FW900's geometry controls are versatile enough to sort that out, in all likeliness.   The HDFury4/3DFury might be useful if you intend to play PS3 games in 3D. My knowledge of PS3 3D support over HDMI is rather...
  I'd like everyone to elaborate on what they mean on "intimate and engaging mids".   I mean, while I can't speak for the AKG 70* variants, I'm here listening to the SR-Lambda as usual, and I find music quite intimate and engaging already while having the trademark Lambda vast soundstage. Couldn't say the same for the SR-202, though; mids are noticeably recessed, at least with an SRM-212. The general sentiment amongst Stax enthusiasts is that the original Normal bias...
Holy thread bump...   I remember this thread from years ago, come to think of it. It's probably the one that led me to Stax for gaming headphones of choice.   Too bad I hadn't written up my PC gaming audio guide back in 2010 to clear some things up here, like what EAX really is. (Good thing Phos summed it up so nicely.)   CMSS-3D Headphone vs. Dolby Headphone is always going to come down to personal preference, but at least for me, they're either equal (with...
  All this DSLR talk reminds me of how even the more affordable models still cost hundreds, not including lenses. Too rich for my blood right now.   Meanwhile, my stepfather's still got his old Canon AE-1 Program, and I got this Pentax Spotmatic I found at a thrift store for like $15.75. Good thing Fujifilm's still in the 135 film roll business and people will still develop that stuff so these old cameras can continue to be useful without slapping a digital back with a...
The HD598 is, by many accounts, a fine stereo headphone that also does binaural HRTF/ERTF surround pretty well, and for that, you want only two high-quality drivers since such surround signals are inherently two-channel.   You just turn on CMSS-3D Headphone, and you're good to go. Commence aural wallhacking.   My X-Fi Titanium HD works just fine, no noise artifacts in my sound or anything like that, but I should note that the Titanium HD is a different,...
  Isn't it obvious? The GDM-FW900 is my primary PC monitor. Only a PC would really take advantage of its capabilities anyway. (2304x1440 at 80 Hz, and lower resolutions at up to 160 Hz, should give you an idea of why it's so sought-after.)   Getting consoles hooked up to it just happens to be a side bonus. No need to waste money on an HDTV when the FW900 could do the job.     Heh, camera sensor discussion...brings to mind all those Bayer vs. Foveon arguments. Too bad that...
The GDM-FW900 has been rebadged a few times, but the chassis (FD Trinitron G1W) is still the same, so they are practically the same monitor.I don't think the PS3 natively outputs 120 Hz at all unless it's outputting a stereoscopic 3D signal. Even then, the FW900 can't handle 1080p at 120 Hz; 100 Hz is doable at that res, but you'd have to drop to 1600x900 or less to get 120 Hz. (Not like most PS3 games even run at 60 FPS or more these days; it's usually 30 FPS. Only PC...
  I thought I explained the Wacom thing clearly enough. Perhaps it would be easier to demonstrate it first-hand.   OLED is a promising display tech for sure, but as I said, the native resolutions mean that everything has to be scaled or processed to that resolution, which adds a bit of input lag and forces you to choose between 1:1 (or 2:1 for really low resolutions) pixel mapping that leaves a lot of unused screen space, or a stretched image that has scaling artifacts...
  Wacom, as you may know, is the dominant brand of standalone drawing tablets, commonly used in the digital art industry. The EMR (electro-magnetic resonance) digitizer technology that their standalone drawing tablets and Cintiq monitors are based on is also sold to third parties.   The "S-Pen" feature that Samsung keeps touting in their Galaxy Note products? It's a Wacom Penabled digitizer, the exact same sort that Windows Tablet PCs made over the last decade and the...
  The Auzentech drivers are provided by Creative, so there isn't much difference.   However, Creative's largely gotten their driver act together over the past few years; most of the infamy dates back to the early Vista days. The Titanium HD in particular has a solid driver set.   For the other cards, though, you have Daniel_K's X-Fi Support Pack. That driver set will work well on all proper X-Fi cards, even the Auzentech-branded ones. (Except the Titanium HD, but it...