or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

I still don't quite get it. Some people are impressed with the positional audio mixing in the Frostbite engine Battlefield games, but I think it's just not good. Explosion effects seem pre-panned, and there's no real distinction in direction regardless of what headphone surround tech you use. Mad Lust Envy agrees, so it seems to affect the PC and console versions alike.   BF1942 through BF2142 had excellent positional audio thanks to the DirectSound3D and OpenAL APIs,...
Which one of you won this Beyerdynamic ET-1000 just now?   It's one of those uncommon vintage electrostatic sets that don't appear all that often, and for some reason, there isn't too much information on the Internet about them. All I know is that they're a 1976 design, roughly when the SR-Sigma was released and three years before the SR-Lambda's debut.   Maybe one of you could chime in as to how it sounds relative to the Stax gear we're all familiar with?   On another...
  For competitive gaming purposes, certain headphones may be more revealing of subtle audio details that others may totally smooth over...though I'd still say it's hard to get much of an upgrade over the AD700 for competitive FPS gaming specifically. While my vintage Stax Lambda beats the AD700 at everything, it's also a much more expensive headphone (especially with the prices they fetch on eBay these days), and one I mainly kept because it excels at music reproduction...
  Yeah, I remember that thread. It's presumably also why Frictional Games decided to only officially support the "Generic Software" OpenAL devices for Amnesia: The Dark Descent, even though it sounds like crap compared to a native OpenAL implementation or Rapture3D.   Someone really just needs to pry OpenAL, EAX, A3D, and all that other stuff out of Creative's iron grasp and use it all to create their own gaming audio middleware with a competent support team, something...
  Compression isn't necessarily a bad thing...if it's lossless, like FLAC, Dolby TrueHD, or DTS Master Audio. All the quality at a fourth of the space!   Problem is, I get the vibe that a lot of game developers don't really care, because a lot of their audience wouldn't notice the difference. Not just in terms of compression, but the actual audio production process/mastering, support for proper 3D audio over headphones, etc.
Great read!   One of these days, I'd like to visit the Stax HQ myself, SR-Lambda in tow. It's this headphone that I bought here over a year ago that still hasn't been dethroned overall. I didn't even like the newer SR-202 as much, due to a combination of some changes in the sound presentation and higher clamping force. (Everything else is way out of my budget, though; it's a fluke that I managed to afford this Lambda in the first place, probably because someone...
  Yep, it's normal if the X-Fi card is configured properly. Rear left/right have no spatialization applied to make them distinct from front left/right if you have CMSS-3D Headphone off, though.     If the Xonar DG is worth its price, it should have a Stereo Mix input under the Recording tab. This is what you need (along with Windows 7/8) to use the SniperCzar trick, normally mentioned for USB audio devices:   -Make sure your sound card's analog output is set as the...
There's a small chance that your personal HRTF is too different from the human average for things like Dolby Headphone, CMSS-3D Headphone, etc. to work properly for you. In that case, only the Smyth Realiser would work.   Anyway, the thing to make sure is that your Windows speaker configuration is set to 5.1 or 7.1, and that Dolby Headphone is enabled in the Xonar drivers. That should get it working as intended.   If echo is a problem, make sure you're not on DH3...
  Well, comparing the prices in this case is a bit difficult, for a number of reasons.   -The SR-Lambda is a vintage 1979 design, out of production for over a decade. The only way to get them now is to buy used. I got mine with an SRD-7/SB here for just $250, but eBay prices have shot as high as $500 for that same combination!   -By comparison, the SR-202 and SR-303 are much more recent designs, only having been recently displaced by the SR-207 and SR-307, which are...
  I can't say that's been the case for me.   I have a Stax SR-Lambda (with rebuilt drivers, admittedly) that I've been fond of, but I wasn't expecting to prefer it outright to the SR-202 and SR-303, which certainly cost more than their Normal bias grandfather does on the used market these days. They sounded different-kind of like the HE-400, in hindsight-but not better. Especially not in the midrange, which I prioritize most.   It could be that I'm just used to that old...