or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

I'd still say it's the best for gaming overall, maybe save for the Onkyo SE-300PCIE or the Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD (the latter only if you need HDMI output).   For Valve games, you generally want to point ALchemy to the game's root directory, and enter "snd_legacy_surround 1" in the console.   It'll affect Skype or anything else that produces sound, but neither CMSS-3D Headphone nor Dolby Headphone utterly ruins Skype or other VoIP apps for me while I'm...
  One of the reasons I don't like composite and even S-Video is that it significantly dulls the colors, along with introducing rainbow artifacts on white text and whatnot.   RGB and component allow for very vibrant colors by comparison.   However, there is a very good chance that the way your TV's set up, it's oversaturating the colors beyond what was intended. HDTVs are rarely calibrated to Rec. 709 spec, as more colored settings like oversaturated colors tend to jump...
I don't have that problem.   That said, part of it is because I don't use the AutoMode Switcher at all, just the Volume Panel, and that's just because it's a convenient way to switch CMSS-3D Headphone on or off as needed.   Having the AutoMode Switcher became kind of pointless when I realized that I spent the majority of my time in Game Mode anyway. Even switching to Audio Creation Mode for ASIO support while playing music just wasn't really worth it to me.
  EAX, CMSS-3D Headphone, hardware sound acceleration in general, etc.   Note that I'm more of an FPS gamer with a competitive bent, so I demand the positioning that only CMSS-3D Headphone (or Aureal A3D, if I fire up my retrogaming rig) can bring me.   Fortunately, the X-Fi Titanium HD is no slouch DAC-wise. Compared to the JDS Labs-built ObjectiveDAC, I didn't hear enough of a difference to warrant using a dedicated DAC, by which I mean I really had to nitpick to try...
The EMU20k2 is just the PCI-Express version of the X-Fi DSP/APU, while the EMU20k1 is the original PCI interface version. Can't go wrong with either one.   Also note that "EMU20k*" and "CA20k*" are used interchangeably.   While the card you were looking at got sold, it wouldn't hurt to look around eBay or other places if you're still in the market for one. If the sellers put up pictures, a dead giveaway for a proper PCI X-Fi card is that the DSP will be covered...
  That depends on whether or not you're gaming.   If gaming is a concern, go for the sound card, no contest. Audiophile DACs lack the gaming DSP features.     ASIO requires Audio Creation Mode, making it more unsuitable for gaming. You obviously want to be in Game Mode for that.   Personally, I just stay in Game Mode all the time and play my music through Winamp with an OpenAL plugin. Didn't hear enough difference between that and foobar2000's ASIO plugin to warrant...
  There's a reason Mad Lust Envy highly recommends the HE-400 as a gaming headphone. It was quite apparent the moment I started testing out some games with it: the positioning needed for competitive play, and the bass response for a cinematic experience.
  Yes, it's completely symmetrical. That's why the headphone itself isn't labeled with any left or right indications. This means that you have to take a good look at the cable connectors to be sure you have them on the right way.   However, I do wish that they at least angled the cable connectors outwards a bit, as they do sometimes hit my shoulders when pointed straight down as they are.
  I doubt it does, given that it doesn't need an extra power cable attached. 75W max from the PCIe slot itself, and that's probably being quite generous when we're talking about sound cards.   Granted, there are clearly traces for a 4-pin Molex connector on the Titanium HD's PCB that were unused in the end, and other cards like the Xonar Essence line do use power connections direct from the PSU, but I believe it's less about wattage demands in those cases and more about...
XtremeAudio cards are a waste of money, as they're not true X-Fi cards due to not having the actual DSP. Thus, no EAX 5, no actual hardware sound acceleration, etc.   XtremeMusic and XtremeGamer variants, on the other hand, are decent cards for gaming, though the sound quality's a bit behind the likes of the Auzentech X-Fi cards and the Titanium HD. You could circumvent that with an S/PDIF DAC if you wanted to, though.   Linux support is pretty bare-bones, but at...