Posts by NamelessPFG

I still am. $70 shipped, if anyone's interested. You'd be hard-pressed to find it selling that low anywhere else, and it's in complete and working order.   I have to admit, I'm not doing a particularly good job of saving money right now, but I'll eventually sort myself out to the point where I have enough for a whole new desktop computer.
Here are the settings I use:   -Game Mode, obviously. -X-Fi control panel setting on Headphones, Windows speaker setting on 5.1. -Crystalizer off. Decent headphones don't need the compander effect. -EAX enabled and set to 0.0db volume. This ensures it works correctly for games that use EAX effects to begin with, without adding reverb or chorus effects where they don't belong. However, if you ever see any EAX settings that sound like room presets (which only...
I think I'm gonna dive back into Live A Live again real soon.   For those of you who don't know about it already, it's one of Squaresoft's Japan-exclusive SNES JRPGs, and quite unique in its presentation compared to any other JRPG I've seen. There are 7 chapters set in different time periods that you can play in any order, and each has a particularly different gameplay style to it, even if all of them share the same basic combat system. Haven't seen anything like it...
I kind of like where you're going with this thread, sort of an open blog that invites discussion.   I'm pretty sure everyone here knows my stance on the topic of virtual surround, especially you, but I'll re-iterate myself anyway: done right, it's like having an aural wallhack.   I just wish proper 3D implementations instead of virtualized 5.1/7.1 were in more widespread use. It was so common during the late 1990s when Aureal burst onto the scene from the ashes...
So the Marantz SR5001 and SR5002 have DH? Great, that means I can shop for receivers other than the Harmon Kardon AVR 254 and AVR 354 when the time comes!   I actually wouldn't mind seeing an A/V receiver shootout here in this thread. May be a bit overkill for headphone processors, but it's also the only way to get virtual surround out of HDMI sources short of the Smyth Realiser (and that only takes LPCM).
The X-Fi XtremeMusic would be noticeably better for gaming, but you didn't mention that at all for your uses.   If anything, you'd probably benefit more from a better A/V receiver with an improved DAC, seeing as this is an HTPC and you're not gaming. Ever thought about running the audio through HDMI?
  Elevation Filter = On. Having it on makes all the difference in DS3D/OAL games, really highlighting the difference between proper 3D sound where you can distinguish the height of sounds, and virtual 5.1/7.1 where you can't.   MacroFX = Auto. What this does is make sounds that are closer in proximity louder, which nicely reflects real life...but the reason I don't leave it set to On is that very close sounds, especially those you generate like gunshots, are uncomfortably...
  Well, I have heard the AD700...and the HTF600...and the CitiScape Uptown...and a vintage Sansui SS-20. That's about it for "normal" cans. No Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics, AKGs, Denons, or Ultrasones to be found there. You know, the kind of headphones people talk about all the time. Rarely does anyone talk about Stax unless it's the flagship Omega-series models.   I just happened to be in a circumstance where instead of stepping up to AD900s or DT880s like I was originally...
About the only thing you'll find in that price range is the old Sony PFR-V1.   Then again, I don't even know of any "earspeaker" designs aside from that, the AKG K1000, and the Stax SR-Sigma, where they mount the drivers in front of the ears instead of beside them.   I consider open-back headphones just that, not earspeakers, hence why I don't apply the term to non-Sigma Stax models even if that's how they'd prefer me to describe the Lambda and Omega variants,...
    It's not so much the USB audio devices being hindered by the USB interface as it is Windows 7's means of playing back audio from one output device through another. That, when tested with the USB audio devices I have, leads to very audible noise and distortion in the signal of the sort you wouldn't notice from listening to any of the audio devices directly.   S/PDIF just happens to bypass that Windows sound stack muckery, which is why it doesn't have the sound quality...