Posts by NamelessPFG

I thought I explained the Wacom thing clearly enough. Perhaps it would be easier to demonstrate it first-hand.   OLED is a promising display tech for sure, but as I said, the native resolutions mean that everything has to be scaled or processed to that resolution, which adds a bit of input lag and forces you to choose between 1:1 (or 2:1 for really low resolutions) pixel mapping that leaves a lot of unused screen space, or a stretched image that has scaling artifacts...
  Wacom, as you may know, is the dominant brand of standalone drawing tablets, commonly used in the digital art industry. The EMR (electro-magnetic resonance) digitizer technology that their standalone drawing tablets and Cintiq monitors are based on is also sold to third parties.   The "S-Pen" feature that Samsung keeps touting in their Galaxy Note products? It's a Wacom Penabled digitizer, the exact same sort that Windows Tablet PCs made over the last decade and the...
  The Auzentech drivers are provided by Creative, so there isn't much difference.   However, Creative's largely gotten their driver act together over the past few years; most of the infamy dates back to the early Vista days. The Titanium HD in particular has a solid driver set.   For the other cards, though, you have Daniel_K's X-Fi Support Pack. That driver set will work well on all proper X-Fi cards, even the Auzentech-branded ones. (Except the Titanium HD, but it...
  Consider me extremely skeptical of their gaming capabilities since they're based on Sound Core3D like the Recon3D products.   If someone gives me one of those cards to review, though, I'll do it. Just don't expect me to go out and spend my own money on one.
  I've gotta admit, I'm impressed that you'd type up so much on these forums using a virtual keyboard of any sort. Don't your fingers ache from mashing them against an unmoving, solid surface like that?     Lucky you...I wanted one of those so badly, but for whatever reason, nobody bothers putting them on sale. Especially not Sprint.   Large screens make touchscreens more tolerable to use, at least. The GS3's keyboard is usable in portrait mode, while a typical iPhone's...
  Oh, if that's what you want to know, they perform about equally for most games in terms of positional cues...until you throw DS3D or OAL into the equation, then CMSS-3D wins by miles. Virtual 7.1, as good as it is, can't touch a proper binaural HRTF mix.   That's why I stick with X-Fi cards more than anything-because CMSS-3D Headphone sounds the best to my ears. Only Aureal A3D on Vortex-chipset cards really compares, but Creative bought out and buried Aureal over a...
  For electrostatic drivers, pretty much, unless you don't mind buying the other discontinued setups or the Koss ESP/950.   While this seems like rocket science, it's really not that different from choosing dynamic/moving-coil/cone or orthodynamic/planar-magnetic designs, just another driver technology to throw into the mix. (And I didn't even bring up Heil AMT, piezoelectric, or plasma drivers yet!)   The important thing that I have to drive home is that if you're going...
  The thing that separates Stax from the rest is that they're the only headphone manufacturer that primarily utilizes electrostatic drivers.   Other brands like Koss (ESP series), Sennheiser (Orpheus), Beyerdynamic (ET-1000), Audio-Technica (various electrets), Sony (ECR series), and others have dabbled with electrostatic drivers of various sorts now and then, but those were always a side offering to their dynamic driver-based products. Stax only makes electrostatics, and...
  Oh god, FTL was digital crack for a while when I started playing it.   Same thing happened when I started playing Dungeons of Dredmor, too. Maybe Roguelike games just have a habit of doing that to me, even though I'm usually not that much into the genre.
  OpenAL is rather underutilized, and I don't know why. It's quite a shame. However, the advantages are also there with DirectSound3D, which is especially common in games from the 9x/XP era of Windows, at least until Microsoft stupidly killed that API with Vista's rewritten sound stack. Fortunately, that's where ALchemy comes in to restore hardware DS3D acceleration, thanks to OpenAL being completely unaffected.   Asus, HT Omega, and other vendors that use C-Media...