Posts by NamelessPFG

I'd offer you my Recon3D USB for $70 shipped, which offers voice chat mixing and Dolby Digital decoding for the PS3, along with decent virtual surround. The HDMI output to your monitor isn't a problem since you can set the PS3 to output over the Toslink/optical S/PDIF and ignore the HDMI audio path.   The only thing is that you'd still have to unplug and replug the headphones and mic all the time, depending on what you're using. You'd need an audio input switch of...
  The first thing I'd try with the Titanium HD is to make sure it's running in Game Mode and that it's set to Headphones. That ensures you get CMSS-3D Headphone at its best. (You may also want to go in and set CMSS-3D Headphone's Elevation Filter to "On". MacroFX can be set to taste; it makes close sounds louder in volume, but this can result in having to turn the overall volume down and risk not hearing distant sounds because your own gunfire and other close sounds are...
I had a hunch that's what you meant by that earlier post about the three of us having something to look forward to from you soon, but now I'm sure.   This ought to be an interesting introduction to orthodynamics, and also a way to find out how much planar driver designs are similar-and different-between those that use electromagnetic forces and those that use electrostatic forces to move the diaphragm.   As an aside, why do PS3 game patches take so long to...
  Whenever he gets a speaker amp. Even an old integrated receiver from a thrift store or the local craigslist or something would work.   Otherwise, he won't be able to power the SRD-7/SB or other transformer boxes like that at all, since they're designed to connect to the speaker taps of old integrated receivers. This makes lending my prized SR-Lambda setup to him for a review pointless.     Sorry, I'm not that rich.   Even if I do go through with lending you my Stax...
What I mean by this is that you establish yourself in the community as someone with lots of useful advice in a particular subject, to the point where people come and ask you questions about things similar to the subject, but not quite.   Problem is, while I know almost all things PC sound cards, I get asked for headphone and amp recommendations. A lot. And they're almost always things I have never personally tried and thus do not feel qualified to recommend or not....
It started as a means of gaining a competitive advantage in gaming, then it became more of an "I'm there" immersion tool for gaming and music alike, to be practically enveloped in sound that seemed to be coming from the air around me while effortlessly unveiling every detail and nuance.   And on top of that, having all of that without disturbing everyone else in the house, as loudspeakers would do, was a necessity. The rest of my family doesn't need to be hearing...
  Nice. Everyone should get in on that deal while it lasts!   Guess that's more reason to get the X-Fi setup guide finished soon; you'll probably want it the instant it shows up on your doorstep.
  The Titanium HD is an internal PCI-Express card. No chance of hooking that up to a laptop, unless you're willing to muck around with PE-4L ExpressCard adapters.   The X-Fi HD USB is an entirely different product not just because of the USB interface, but like all "X-Fi" USB devices, it doesn't actually have the EMU20k1/20k2 DSP for hardware sound acceleration and just does everything in software.     For starters, connecting the Mixamp via USB means you're using its own...
  I tested the Recon3D USB on my desktop running through my Stax system. There are noticeable differences in the presentation between THX TruStudio Surround and CMSS-3D Headphone in OpenAL-native games (did the bulk of my testing with Unreal Tournament and Battlefield 2) which I find to be a regression overall, but having the former's still better than just plain stereo.   If you don't mind setting up an EA/Origin account, by all means, get BF1942. I still consider it one...
  It might happen, but I'd have to get rich first!     Just for the record, I use some cheap beige Packard Bell (!)-branded desk mic I found at a thrift store for a dollar on my desktop. It does the job.   I'll eventually replace it with the ModMic once they get the mute-switched versions rolling off the assembly line.