Posts by NamelessPFG

So the Marantz SR5001 and SR5002 have DH? Great, that means I can shop for receivers other than the Harmon Kardon AVR 254 and AVR 354 when the time comes!   I actually wouldn't mind seeing an A/V receiver shootout here in this thread. May be a bit overkill for headphone processors, but it's also the only way to get virtual surround out of HDMI sources short of the Smyth Realiser (and that only takes LPCM).
The X-Fi XtremeMusic would be noticeably better for gaming, but you didn't mention that at all for your uses.   If anything, you'd probably benefit more from a better A/V receiver with an improved DAC, seeing as this is an HTPC and you're not gaming. Ever thought about running the audio through HDMI?
  Elevation Filter = On. Having it on makes all the difference in DS3D/OAL games, really highlighting the difference between proper 3D sound where you can distinguish the height of sounds, and virtual 5.1/7.1 where you can't.   MacroFX = Auto. What this does is make sounds that are closer in proximity louder, which nicely reflects real life...but the reason I don't leave it set to On is that very close sounds, especially those you generate like gunshots, are uncomfortably...
  Well, I have heard the AD700...and the HTF600...and the CitiScape Uptown...and a vintage Sansui SS-20. That's about it for "normal" cans. No Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics, AKGs, Denons, or Ultrasones to be found there. You know, the kind of headphones people talk about all the time. Rarely does anyone talk about Stax unless it's the flagship Omega-series models.   I just happened to be in a circumstance where instead of stepping up to AD900s or DT880s like I was originally...
About the only thing you'll find in that price range is the old Sony PFR-V1.   Then again, I don't even know of any "earspeaker" designs aside from that, the AKG K1000, and the Stax SR-Sigma, where they mount the drivers in front of the ears instead of beside them.   I consider open-back headphones just that, not earspeakers, hence why I don't apply the term to non-Sigma Stax models even if that's how they'd prefer me to describe the Lambda and Omega variants,...
    It's not so much the USB audio devices being hindered by the USB interface as it is Windows 7's means of playing back audio from one output device through another. That, when tested with the USB audio devices I have, leads to very audible noise and distortion in the signal of the sort you wouldn't notice from listening to any of the audio devices directly.   S/PDIF just happens to bypass that Windows sound stack muckery, which is why it doesn't have the sound quality...
I still think it's important to note what interfaces are being used not necessarily for performance reasons, but because everyone's desktop configuration is different, often leading to cases where only one particular type of slot is free on the motherboard. Especially SLI/CrossFire setups where most of the slots are blocked off by graphics cards with double-slot (sometimes even triple-slot) HSFs.   A small note: CEREBRAL BORE!
  I see I'm not the only one with that issue!   People PM me with questions about what headphone and amp to get all the time. I mean, I can advise people when it comes to PC sound cards and stuff like that, but it's just not right for me to talk about all these popular headphones and amps that I've never had ears-on experience with, you know? That's why I'm especially grateful for the HE-400 and K702 65th audition opportunities.     Except I don't want an M-Stage, and I'm...
For gaming, you'd probably benefit from a sound card's DSP features.   The good news is that your receiver should have a respectable DAC in it, so even affordable sound cards like the X-Fi Titanium ($50 shipped or less on Newegg) will do the job if you connect via S/PDIF.
For me, it's headphones all the way. I don't even have any speaker systems connected to my computers.   The reasons?   -I don't want to disturb everyone else in the house with my music preferences or loud game noises. Even open-back headphones generally won't leak sound outside of the room they're in.   -Binaural HRTF-based mixing is so superior to a typical 5.1/7.1 speaker setup for positioning it's almost unbelievable. Better yet, I don't have to sit in a...