Posts by NamelessPFG

USB audio devices can theoretically play back any sound card's audio if you're running Windows 7 or later, but the audio quality takes a big hit. Thus, I wouldn't recommend it if you can use an S/PDIF DAC instead. (I really should edit that into my guide...)   For a laptop, I would have advised something like the X-Fi Surround 5.1 (older revision with CMSS-3D Headphone instead of THX TruStudio Surround) or the Xonar U3, as you still have some gaming audio support that...
For movies, you can just pay up for PowerDVD or WinDVD and get Dolby Headphone that way. Won't help you at all with games, though.   Do you at least have a PCI slot free in your desktop? There are plenty of proper X-Fi cards with the PCI interface that are pretty cheap these days, and if the stock analog output quality isn't enough for you, you can use S/PDIF output to a DAC and keep all the gaming audio benefits.   That just leaves your laptop, for which you...
  Replace BF3 with BF2 or ArmA and I'd be all over that!   Only problem is, all the games mentioned have vehicles, and such an FPS simulator only really works while you're on-foot.     Your line of thought makes sense to me, though I obviously can't tell if it's correct or not without having a Xonar Phoebus to experiment with.   What doesn't help is that the whole "Dolby Home Theater" branding likely referring to a set of different technologies means that it'll have the...
  The "rainbow effect" is quite annoying for me, but that's why you don't bother with single-chip DLP sets.   Triple-chip and laser DLP sets that don't need color wheels don't have that issue. Problem is, they're also more expensive.   As for the "screen door effect", most LCDs have it pretty blatantly at the larger sizes, though it's getting to be less of a problem at sizes 10" and lower due to the whole "Retina display" marketing push.
Dolby Home Theater v4, you mean?I figured it was just branding for a suite of Dolby features, including Dolby Headphone.
When transhumanism meets Head-Fi...   For me, it'll depend on how safe the procedure is, how expensive it is, whether my natural ears still function or not after the operation, and whether or not I'll drop dead and explode when someone spits the words "laputin machine" at me just because I felt like getting augmented.   I might actually consider it on a private listening standpoint. Heck, combine this with some sort of silent way to speak through similar...
Oh no, I never noticed this news until now...Prices might go back up for LaserVue sets, but that doesn't always happen in the world of displays. Otherwise, GDM-FW900s would never sell for well under $1,000 at this point.
Some headphones are just too demanding to be driven properly through sound card amplifiers.   Or, in my case as a Stax/electrostatic user, those type of headphones cannot be driven AT ALL by sound cards. You need a specialized amp (or a transformer box and speaker amp) for them to even work.
  Shame about SED/FED, but I still have some hope in laser DLP. Too bad those Mitsubishi LaserVue sets are wallet-breakers, just like current TV-size OLED panels.   On the other hand, the use of a DLP chip inherently means having a native resolution. It does highlight the potential of an RGB laser-based display technology if people were to move in that direction, though.
  From what I can tell, the latest HDFury models do add some neat features, but the older ones are still available if you don't need those features and want to keep the cost down. The first one does have some sort of horizontal image shifting issue, but the GDM-FW900's geometry controls are versatile enough to sort that out, in all likeliness.   The HDFury4/3DFury might be useful if you intend to play PS3 games in 3D. My knowledge of PS3 3D support over HDMI is rather...