or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

The main downside of external USB audio devices is that they generally don't have the hardware DSPs for hardware sound acceleration in older games that internal sound cards do.   Now, we need to know a few things:   -Are you planning on gaming at all? -Do you need a mic input or line-in? -Is this strictly for headphone use?
  I generally favor the X-Fi Titanium HD over most other sound cards on the market wherever gaming is concerned, due to feature set and excellent audio quality. Do note that I have a slight bias toward somewhat older titles, where most of the X-Fi gaming features beyond CMSS-3D Headphone are utilized.   The lack of a proper headphone amp IC is no drawback to me, as it wouldn't drive my Stax setup anyway, and my dynamic cans of choice are sensitive enough to work well out...
  This case seems to be a bit different, as I'm guessing from the video itself that the helicopter recordings were meant for a 10.2 speaker system-pictured with two height channels, at that-being binaurally mixed for headphone use.   Current Dolby Headphone processors can only get a 7.1 signal at most, and a typical 7.1 system has no height channels whatsoever. It may be possible to pull off some HRTF/ERTF trickery to get the illusion of height from a ring of speakers all...
  In the old days, starting around 1997 or so, sound cards usually had DSPs on them to offload the processing from the CPU, and games were designed to take advantage of them. The software fallbacks for those games generally sound quite bad by comparison, as the surround sound effect is noticeably worse and entire effects go missing.   This continued up 'til 2007 or so, when XAudio2 + X3DAudio and FMOD Ex, both software-based mixers, started becoming dominant, save for the...
In my admittedly limited experience, it's Stax (Lambda series for sure, though I would expect the Omega series to be no slouch) or the HiFiMan HE-400.   If your budget really is unlimited...Stax SR-009 + Blue Hawaii SE + Smyth Realiser A8. Sorry about your wallet.
  I'd say HE-400, but that's out of his budget.   I have no experience with Ultrasone, unfortunately, which means no recommendations for or against them coming from me. I just hope the mids aren't as recessed as everyone says they are.
  Is there any reason you didn't consider the HiFiMan HE-400?   It's surprisingly forgiving of underpowered sources, and has bass done right: that is, punchy, cinematic bass whenever the source calls for it, but only when the source calls for it, thus not exaggerating the bass when it shouldn't be.   Also, it's surprisingly comfortable, even over the long term.
  I cannot comment specifically on the Schiit Modi, but the JDS Labs-built ObjectiveDAC frankly didn't sound all that different, and given the ODAC's reputation for sound quality...   I'd definitely focus on upgrading your amp first, if that's what your headphones need to work right. Can't compare the Schiit Magni and Objective2, though, as I have heard neither. Same reason I don't comment on the Schiit Modi; it's not right for me to make those kind of statements on gear...
  Never had any Sennheisers to test, just an AD700 (which can be driven by anything) and my Stax Lambda setup (which needs external amplification anyway, like all electrostatics). If nothing else, it was LOUD, to the point where the usable volume range was more like 5% (anything less is mute) to 7% without having my ears blown out. (Volume isn't necessarily an indicator of amplification quality, though, and I just didn't have the right headphones to test for that.)   I...
Pure audio would be pretty easy on an X-Fi card. Audio Creation Mode, bit-matched playback, ASIO plugins...   Unfortunately, it seems like the Sound Core3D cards dropped ASIO support entirely.