or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

OpenAL by itself does not provide HRTF mixing, but it does provide the 3D positional coordinates to make a truly effective HRTF mix, if the OpenAL device used chooses to mix the sounds in that fashion.   That's why you have CMSS-3D Headphone, THX TruStudio Surround, and SBX Pro Surround (assuming SBX isn't rebranded THX, anyway) in the first place, along with various HRTF mixing settings in software OpenAL implementations like Rapture3D, OpenAL Soft, and...
If you get a mini-Toslink optical adapter, you can get S/PDIF output, yes.   The only thing is, Macs don't have Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect to my knowledge, so they can't encode PCM surround sources into those on-the-fly.
  No, we just hate what the BF franchise has become in recent years, really.   We want that old-school BF1942 and BF2 experience back more than anything, back when it wasn't all about being the first to unlock the game-breaking M60 + Magnum Ammo or whatever combination, instead of the series taking its current route of "EA's Call of Duty".   And as for CoD itself, I can see why people like it, but frankly, the series just isn't my cup of tea, especially after the way it's...
  All of this, so very much.   What everyone starting out on Head-Fi has to learn is that everyone else's preferences aren't necessarily their own, and that they might not even know what they're really looking for until they've sampled a few headphones.   Sometimes, you even find out that the one headphone you've had all along really is your favorite, but you're not certain of it 'til you try other headphone models and keep going back to that one headphone you were using...
Auzentech X-Fi Forte, if you can find one used.   Dedicated headphone-out, and switchable between speakers and headphones at the driver level.
  The SR-Lambda I already have, of course. It still remains my overall favorite out of anything I've tried, in both sound presentation AND comfort.   But the HE-400 did come closer than expected, even moreso than the SR-202 of all things. I think it's a nice complementary headphone, especially taking into account its overall frequency response.
  Here's a pic to indicate exactly what he means. (For the record, it was the idea of the guy who sold that Lambda to me. And, no, I didn't intend for it to be upside-down; Dropbox just chose to present it that way.)   It's a very soft kind of cloth, even moreso than most varieties of velour, like on the HE-400 and AD700. I'll throw in the original cloth whenever MLE gets the chance to review that Lambda.   Anyway, overall impressions of the HE-400:   -It's not as heavy...
It's probably my Stax SR-Lambda. Bought it about a year ago, and the design dates back to 1979. Certainly older than myself... I also have a Sansui SS-20 lying around, but it doesn't see much use.
"Hogwash" is putting it very, very mildly.   Good headphones are MORE revealing of the flaws in source equipment, and I don't necessarily mean dynamic range (which is likely still beyond the range of most human ears anyway). If there is any unintended noise or hissing in the signal, you may overlook it with speakers, but you WILL notice with headphones, even relatively lower-end ones. Just wait 'til we get into headphones on the level of the HiFiMan HE-400 or a Stax...
  1) Whether DSPs help or hinder the listening experience is for YOU to decide. In the context of music, though, it will unquestionably distort the original signal; whether it's a pleasing distortion or not is something you have to decide for yourself. (Note that some people do like a bit of euphonic distortion in their music.)   3) That depends on what you mean by a "good listening experience". Are you fine with the usual headphone presentation, or do you think it should...