Posts by NamelessPFG

Apparently, HRTF techniques are possible with stereo speakers, but it requires crosstalk cancellation and the speakers to be positioned around 30 degrees off of the listener's center on both sides. QSound is the most notable example of such tech, but Aureal had a similar mix with A3D, and Creative also attempted it with CMSS-3D Virtual. Still, headphones work far better for this sort of thing in my experience. Ironically, the very lack of crosstalk that makes people want...
 What's your CPU? PlanetSide 2 is inherently CPU-limited most of the time; I didn't notice a dramatic increase in performance 'til I replaced my old Q6600 system with a new 4770K build.
 You can't use the Cambridge DAC at the same time as the Mixamp, because both are DACs. It's just that the Mixamp is also a Dolby Headphone DSP, hence why you'd use it instead for gaming. I just hope the Xbox One has that promised Dolby Digital update out already; without it, the Mixamp is as good as useless because it can't decode DTS at all. I suppose that Mad Lust Envy's general leanings toward the AKG sets for competitive gaming is because that's what he started off...
 CMSS-3D Surround is a stereo upmix for surround speaker systems, nothing more. That is NOT the feature you want. No thanks to Creative for naming different features so similarly... Headphone-only gaming is straightforward because the enforced Windows speaker setting synchronization isn't a problem for Headphone mode. When you want to switch between headphones and stereo speakers, though, that just complicates everything to the point of impracticality, unless you're okay...
 For the record, the PCIe Recon3D sound cards can't do it either. You have to realize that the Recon3D USB is more of an Astro Mixamp or Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS-style device meant for console gaming, except it's also one with PC drivers that makes it a better fit than those two as a USB audio device for PC gaming, sort of a bridge between two worlds, so to speak. My solution was simply to have separate devices for PC gaming and console gaming, but that may not work out...
Mixamps are not meant for PC use. Use the X-Fi; it's a lot less hassle to get virtual surround working, plus you get software OpenAL (USB X-Fi devices don't do it in hardware) and ALchemy for DirectSound3D games.
You would think...but the X-Fi's S/PDIF input CANNOT DECODE Dolby Digital or DTS (barring the original XtremeMusic/Platinum/Fatal1ty FPS/Elite Pro PCI card lineup with the Decoder tab). Feeding one of those signals into most sound cards results in silence.The Recon3D USB's S/PDIF input is not a recording input in PC usage, either. I suspect that Dolby and DTS don't want people recording their encoded audio tracks.But for movies, you don't really need a sound card to begin...
For stereo speakers, you're supposed to use CMSS-3D Virtual.   The problem is that using CMSS-3D Virtual requires setting the X-Fi to 2/2.1 Speakers mode, and for Vista/Win7/Win8, this forces the Windows speaker setting to Stereo, which completely defeats the purpose of using CMSS-3D Virtual in the first place (outside of DirectSound3D/OpenAL titles).
 The first thing I recommend is visiting and looking over The Entry Level Stax Thread. I can't compare Stax to the usual AKGs because I've never heard a single AKG headphone thus far (was hoping to sample the K612, but a shipping mishap got 'em sent back to Change), but a lot of other remarks I've read on here generally rank them above the K701 overall. Do keep in mind that with the Mixamp, you'll need a male 3.5mm TRS to dual RCA adapter cable so you can connect the...
Speaker amps aren't my forte, really.   I'd suggest just shopping on craigslist or possibly flipping through thrift stores for vintage receivers, particularly 1970s Sansui/Marantz/Pioneer/etc. stuff. They'll be heavy and bulky, but at least you'll be feeding the SRD-7 a nice, clean signal.   Other people just order cheap $40 Chinese-made "T-amps" and are happy with those, but I haven't tried one yet.