Posts by NamelessPFG

Dolby Digital Live is ONLY for S/PDIF output. If you're running analog, leave it off; there's no point in having it on. ALchemy is only needed for DirectSound3D games. CS:GO doesn't have DS3D enabled by default, nor does any other Source engine game; you need to sent "snd_legacy_surround" to 1 in the console. In-game, I'd go with 5.1/7.1, though it never hurts to experiment!  Asus didn't license any virtual surround tech whatsoever for the Maximus VI lineup, which is...
Fire Strike makes a single desktop GTX 760 choke and SLI GTX 760s barely manage...until you set the quality to Extreme. I'm not even sure SLI GTX 780 Ti cards would provide a good framerate there. 3DMark has always been absolutely brutal on contemporary desktop hardware, needing a few years for the very top-of-the-line components to catch up. I doubt we'll see a worthy laptop at any price for two or three more years. On the flip side, 3DMark is also much more demanding...
I don't even remember exactly where, but it was a local shop in Georgia and NOT a major, widespread chain like Goodwill. Thrift stores are mostly misses, but sometimes you might get a nice old mech board or two. That's how I got another full-size Lexmark Model M (since sold) and an unpictured Model M2 that needs recapping and a spring replacement, alongside some other odd boards like a pair of BTC 5339 foam-and-foil capacitive boards, some Wang board with a great clicky...
I almost forgot this entire forum section existed, let alone this thread.   Now that I remember, I suppose this is the best place in all of Head-Fi to bring up my latest finds:     Under $4 for both of 'em, and one of them was a highly-sought-after tenkeyless Space Saver model!   I don't like how the full-size one's hard-wired with a flimsy cable instead of a sturdy, detachable SDL cable, though. It's fairly common on the '90s Lexmark-built ones, though a few...
 Creative cards do pipe their headphone surround (CMSS-3D Headphone or SBX Pro Surround, depending on model) through TOSlink/optical, actually. Verified it myself. Whether you prefer either of those to Dolby Headphone or not is another matter, and one you'll have to decide for yourself.
 Sorry about the delayed response; haven't been on Head-Fi in a while. They're near-mint, complete in box, and due to current circumstances, I actually am thinking of selling them! (Normally, I wouldn't.)
 This is the important part. Without that, Source engine games use software audio mixing, no DS3D. Only with it enabled can ALchemy do its job right.
If the deadzone problem is rooted in the game engine's audio mixing, no virtual surround DSP is going to fix that. The sound driver won't receive any more sound from the game just because you ticked virtual surround on. About all I can suggest is to try out the usual Source engine DirectSound3D + ALchemy trick. That will inherently cause CS:GO to mix the audio differently.
I haven't even heard of the 10R until now, much less tried one.It appears to be a drastically different design from the F1 and MA900, too, so it's not going to feel the same in all likeliness.
Sony MDR-MA900. Mad Lust Envy wasn't kidding about that comfort.   The discontinuation means you'll have to keep your eyes peeled to find one under $200, though, let alone $150 like when it was still in production.   Still thinking about parting with mine, but only because this month's gonna be tight.