Posts by NamelessPFG

I've heard of this before.It sounds like an electrostatic driver, just with a graphene diaphragm instead of a Mylar one. Old tech, new materials.Makes me wonder if the next SR-009 or Orpheus HE/90 will have a graphene diaphragm...
 I find it quite telling that my current all-time favorite headphone, out of everything I've tried, dates back to 1979. That's when Stax introduced a more compact, more conventional take on the SR-Sigma in the form of the SR-Lambda, whose basic frame design is still used to this day...and yet I still prefer those original Lambdas to the SR-202 in terms of tonality and sound presentation. So much for "newer is better". It also figures that the ESP/950 is said to share a lot...
 Not only that, but the PS4 isn't backwards-compatible at all right now. Doesn't do you a whole lot of good if you want to play PS3 games that don't also have PS4 releases. For that matter, half the reason I bought my PS3 was to play PS2 games! PCSX2 wasn't always working out for me, I never owned a PS2 for all of 6th-gen, and I generally preferred to have one console instead of two taking up space. As for the PS4's current library, I see very few things, if anything, that...
I've maintained for a while now that people with speaker amps will probably get the most bang for their buck out of the usual $250-350 vintage Stax Lambda + SRD-6 or SRD-7/SB listings.   Even if you don't have a speaker amp, integrated receivers/AVRs tend to be pretty affordable these days. They're incredibly bulky for a computer desk, but affordable nonetheless.
 If you're talking about that infamous Teksyndicate video, it's been ripped apart in this very thread countless times for generating more misinformation and FUD. Well-intentioned as it may be, they're only spreading more misconceptions, to the consternation of all us Head-Fi folk. I'll just tell you this: if games mixed headphone surround properly from the outset, then we wouldn't be using virtual surround on PCs or consoles alike to begin with. The problem is that they...
 You must like the typical Tales approach of 30 FPS in the overworld and cutscenes, 60 FPS during battles, then. (Unless it's Symphonia PS3, ugh...) There is one very important thing that makes low movie framerates more tolerable than low game framerates, though, and that's simple motion blur, best exemplified by taking photos of things at different shutter speeds. The LACK of it in most games is what makes them quite intolerable to look at, though quite unfortunately,...
 Say what you will about movies, but low framerates in games suck. It's especially noticeable if you've played a multiplatform game on PC with a full 60-120 FPS at 1920x1080 or higher, and then got a taste of a console version that ran at 30 FPS or less at under 1280x720 res. It's irritating and practically painful by comparison, to the point where I didn't see how people could enjoy Left 4 Dead 2 one bit on an X360. On top of that, fast-paced FPSs from the old-school...
This isn't the first time I've heard of IEMs used for gaming. The first case was the EDGE Acoustics GX-400, basically an Etymotic ER-4P with in-line mic and volume controls. Meanwhile, as for IEMs touted to have an unusually large soundstage for the category, the Stax S-001/SR-003 and S-002 come to mind. Problem is, those setups still cost as much as those centering around the circumaural Lambda sets, meaning they're still hideously expensive. My concern with IEMs for...
 I wouldn't say a bad day, no. Sorry if I sounded too harsh. I'm just a natural skeptic, especially on a place like Head-Fi where things regularly get hyped to the moon, people have different tastes, and we're frequently talking $200+ headphones whose purchases are not made lightly. On top of that, I've hardly evaluated every single headphone on the planet, so it's difficult to say whether one set is truly better or worse than another, especially given the subjectivity. I...
 Oh, right-the X1 has a detachable cable of the sort that you can substitute with the V-MODA BoomPro mic, so there's no need for a ModMic. That explains a lot of it.  My concern isn't that people mention the X1 as an alternative; there's good reason for it to be recommended so highly, I'm sure. It's that people are starting to act like there are NO alternatives to the X1 and that it's the best at everything, even though it's clear by now that people have different tastes...