or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

For all the talk of Lambdas having a small soundstage, I never really believed it. They come across as pretty spacious to me, both side-to-side and front-to-back...if the source can bring it out.   There's a reason I flip on some kind of virtual surround when gaming, after all. Source mix is everything when it comes to imaging.   As for the HE-400, my memories of Mad Lust Envy's set with the velours were that they had a reasonable soundstage, were surprisingly light on...
The aforementioned Support Pack is version 3.5 now, try that. Seems to work fine with my Titanium HD, at any rate; it's producing sound, control panels work, etc. I just need to install all the games again. Yeah, I'm finally getting Windows 10 all set up on my desktop. Been so busy that I haven't had time to do it 'til now, alongside some setbacks with backing up my Windows install properly.  If you like CMSS-3D, stick with the Titanium HD. You're not going to get anything...
 I wouldn't claim it's perfect, not with all the attempted datamining and defaulting to installing drivers from Windows Update on a clean install, right in the background - no prompts or anything. It can be convenient, but it can also be a total pain in the ass if it installs a non-optimal driver version. It is, however, serviceable thus far on my T902 convertible tablet once I change Wacom driver versions and install a few more driver utilities (less so on the T901 before...
 The thing about Dolby Atmos is that it does for movies what Aureal A3D and DirectSound3D were doing for PC games decades ago: it finally moves on to mapping sounds in 3D space (as opposed to fixed speaker channels) and letting the DSP in the AVR/preamp decide where those sounds should be played with the speakers provided. Better late than never, I suppose. It's not so much a new speaker system as much as it is a new way of handling 3D sound at the source, which benefits...
Any open-back headphone sounds noticeably different when you cover the earcups, but it probably affects planar drivers more (both electromagnetic and electrostatic varieties) because of their even dipole dispersion, with the back wave being reflected back by your hand obstructing the rear. It's one of the reasons why placement relative to the back wall is so critical with planar/electrostatic loudspeakers, according to those who use them, and I'd imagine smaller headphone...
There's a fan translation patch for Vesperia now? Well, guess that gives me reason to get a second PS3 and flash some CFW onto it, then! (Or, if I'm rich, buy a DECR-1000 devkit for about $1,000.) Not gonna risk it with my primary PS3, though.   In the meantime, I really need to get cracking on Resonance of Fate again. Picked it up for $5 during a prior flash sale, already watched a friend stream it way back, and I'll probably like it a lot now that I'm used to the...
 I believe the reason that built-in volume controls are something of a rarity is that more often than not, they're usually a little potentiometer/rheostat that just adds more resistance to the signal to attenuate it more, and they tend to be cheap, crappy little ones with balance issues. You're usually better off adjusting the volume at the source most of the time. But of course, going through system settings to get to the volume controls (or reaching for the amp's volume...
 It'd be foolish for the game developer to not downmix the 8-channel sounds into a 2-channel format when some form of 2-channel output is selected, because if they outright axed the extra channels, the missing sounds would be pretty obvious. However, the simple fact is that now you have all those sounds being squeezed into two spatial locations rather than seven. That's a lot of loss of directionality right there with how most games mix their audio, especially console...
 Dolby Pro Logic employs phase-shifting within the two discrete channels to add the rear channels. Center channel's just the common parts of left and right. A proper decoder will pick up the intentionally out-of-phase parts of the signal and put them in the right places, while leaving them out of the other channels. It's inherently more susceptible to crosstalk between the matrixed channels than a discrete channel format, but it works in a pinch. That means the signal has...
 NOPE. That's pointless when the DSP only gets two channels worth of spatial information to begin with. The only time that even remotely works is if the two channels are actually a Dolby Pro Logic (II)-encoded signal being run through a proper decoder to separate all the matrixed 5.1 channels, and the Creative cards don't serve as decoders. Even then, the only console that even bothers with Pro Logic II through S/PDIF is the PS2, since it couldn't encode Dolby Digital...