or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

It takes a second or two for the volume to pick up, depending on how much signal the SRD-7/SB gets fed with. That's presumably to charge up the bias supply with the input current, because the AC-powered SRD-6 doesn't do that. I'm not sure why I don't need a speaker amp for this, but this I do know: PCIe X-Fi cards get loud on Headphone mode, and I mean REALLY loud to the point where I can't even set the volume above 10% with sensitive headphones before I risk deafening...
 I can't say I'm in the position to answer that, given that the only standalone Stax amps I've had at any point were the SRM-212 and SRM-T1. Indeed, half the reason I picked out an older amp like the T1 was the Normal bias output for my original Lambda sets while still having Pro bias for the newer stuff; an SRM-1/Mk2 would've also done nicely, but I didn't find one of those for a price I would accept at the time. The SRM-212 just happened to be bundled with an...
Okay, so I'm not sure why I didn't think of this earlier, but I decided to connect the speaker taps on my SRD-6 to some RCA jacks and have it directly driven by my X-Fi Titanium HD, figuring that I could get this ailing A/V receiver off my desk and still have an audible signal, since it's not a self-biasing unit like my SRD-7/SB and I didn't even have to turn up the receiver that much just to get loud volumes out of the Lambda.   It actually works, and with no obvious...
For all the talk of Lambdas having a small soundstage, I never really believed it. They come across as pretty spacious to me, both side-to-side and front-to-back...if the source can bring it out.   There's a reason I flip on some kind of virtual surround when gaming, after all. Source mix is everything when it comes to imaging.   As for the HE-400, my memories of Mad Lust Envy's set with the velours were that they had a reasonable soundstage, were surprisingly light on...
The aforementioned Support Pack is version 3.5 now, try that. Seems to work fine with my Titanium HD, at any rate; it's producing sound, control panels work, etc. I just need to install all the games again. Yeah, I'm finally getting Windows 10 all set up on my desktop. Been so busy that I haven't had time to do it 'til now, alongside some setbacks with backing up my Windows install properly.  If you like CMSS-3D, stick with the Titanium HD. You're not going to get anything...
 I wouldn't claim it's perfect, not with all the attempted datamining and defaulting to installing drivers from Windows Update on a clean install, right in the background - no prompts or anything. It can be convenient, but it can also be a total pain in the ass if it installs a non-optimal driver version. It is, however, serviceable thus far on my T902 convertible tablet once I change Wacom driver versions and install a few more driver utilities (less so on the T901 before...
 The thing about Dolby Atmos is that it does for movies what Aureal A3D and DirectSound3D were doing for PC games decades ago: it finally moves on to mapping sounds in 3D space (as opposed to fixed speaker channels) and letting the DSP in the AVR/preamp decide where those sounds should be played with the speakers provided. Better late than never, I suppose. It's not so much a new speaker system as much as it is a new way of handling 3D sound at the source, which benefits...
Any open-back headphone sounds noticeably different when you cover the earcups, but it probably affects planar drivers more (both electromagnetic and electrostatic varieties) because of their even dipole dispersion, with the back wave being reflected back by your hand obstructing the rear. It's one of the reasons why placement relative to the back wall is so critical with planar/electrostatic loudspeakers, according to those who use them, and I'd imagine smaller headphone...
There's a fan translation patch for Vesperia now? Well, guess that gives me reason to get a second PS3 and flash some CFW onto it, then! (Or, if I'm rich, buy a DECR-1000 devkit for about $1,000.) Not gonna risk it with my primary PS3, though.   In the meantime, I really need to get cracking on Resonance of Fate again. Picked it up for $5 during a prior flash sale, already watched a friend stream it way back, and I'll probably like it a lot now that I'm used to the...
 I believe the reason that built-in volume controls are something of a rarity is that more often than not, they're usually a little potentiometer/rheostat that just adds more resistance to the signal to attenuate it more, and they tend to be cheap, crappy little ones with balance issues. You're usually better off adjusting the volume at the source most of the time. But of course, going through system settings to get to the volume controls (or reaching for the amp's volume...