Posts by NamelessPFG

I think it's the best so far. Not everyone agrees with me; we all have different ears.With a nice external DAC like that, you can just get a cheap card like an X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) for the DSP effects and run S/PDIF to the DACMagic. It's pretty easy to set up.
 Given how I can't even push my 4770K to 4.5 GHz without cooking it with the Vcore required for absolute LinX 0.6.5 and Prime95 28.1 stability on a custom water-cooling loop, this is somewhat tempting. Maybe I should just delid my existing chip. How tempting it is will largely depend on whether or not Micro Center pulls another "i7 for $200" sale on or just before Black Friday. Too bad I don't work at a place that qualifies for Intel Retail Edge, otherwise I wouldn't even...
I remember seeing those boards all over the place in the late 1990s! If Microsoft didn't cheap out with rubber domes, I might consider one since that sculpted design was pretty nice, but for me, it's mechanical or go home.
 Dolby Digital Live is ONLY for S/PDIF output. If you're running analog, leave it off; there's no point in having it on. ALchemy is only needed for DirectSound3D games. CS:GO doesn't have DS3D enabled by default, nor does any other Source engine game; you need to sent "snd_legacy_surround" to 1 in the console. In-game, I'd go with 5.1/7.1, though it never hurts to experiment!  Asus didn't license any virtual surround tech whatsoever for the Maximus VI lineup, which is...
Fire Strike makes a single desktop GTX 760 choke and SLI GTX 760s barely manage...until you set the quality to Extreme. I'm not even sure SLI GTX 780 Ti cards would provide a good framerate there. 3DMark has always been absolutely brutal on contemporary desktop hardware, needing a few years for the very top-of-the-line components to catch up. I doubt we'll see a worthy laptop at any price for two or three more years. On the flip side, 3DMark is also much more demanding...
I don't even remember exactly where, but it was a local shop in Georgia and NOT a major, widespread chain like Goodwill. Thrift stores are mostly misses, but sometimes you might get a nice old mech board or two. That's how I got another full-size Lexmark Model M (since sold) and an unpictured Model M2 that needs recapping and a spring replacement, alongside some other odd boards like a pair of BTC 5339 foam-and-foil capacitive boards, some Wang board with a great clicky...
I almost forgot this entire forum section existed, let alone this thread.   Now that I remember, I suppose this is the best place in all of Head-Fi to bring up my latest finds:     Under $4 for both of 'em, and one of them was a highly-sought-after tenkeyless Space Saver model!   I don't like how the full-size one's hard-wired with a flimsy cable instead of a sturdy, detachable SDL cable, though. It's fairly common on the '90s Lexmark-built ones, though a few...
 Creative cards do pipe their headphone surround (CMSS-3D Headphone or SBX Pro Surround, depending on model) through TOSlink/optical, actually. Verified it myself. Whether you prefer either of those to Dolby Headphone or not is another matter, and one you'll have to decide for yourself.
 Sorry about the delayed response; haven't been on Head-Fi in a while. They're near-mint, complete in box, and due to current circumstances, I actually am thinking of selling them! (Normally, I wouldn't.)
 This is the important part. Without that, Source engine games use software audio mixing, no DS3D. Only with it enabled can ALchemy do its job right.