or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

I'm not sure if Dolby Atmos is using ambisonics or other 3D soundfield tech under the hood, but it's basically doing for movies what DirectSound3D and OpenAL did for PC games for years already. When you have a full 3D soundfield to draw from instead of discrete speaker channels, creating a convincing binaural mix for use on mobile devices or consoles is pretty straightforward. Dolby Labs most likely draws a bit from Dolby Headphone when downmixing an Atmos source for...
I really need to log in here more often. Probably haven't dived in for my wallet's sake, it's not looking too good lately.  I've considered the Smyth Realiser the ideal to strive for when it comes to speaker simulation systems, but I haven't been in the position to audition one, let alone outright buy one. Maybe I'll consider it when I can afford to go whole hog with Stax again and keep it... If they can bring down the cost significantly, that'll help. I just want to be...
Your motherboard's integrated sound codec probably doesn't have any virtual surround features whatsoever in the drivers, as I highly doubt the motherboard manufacturer bothered to license them.   You can opt for a software approach (Razer Surround, X-Fi MB3, etc.), or you can just buy whatever sound card offers the virtual surround tech you want.   As for which virtual surround tech you want? That's up to you to decide because no one else has your ears and HRTF....
Hey, if you want really responsive FPSs, there's always the fast-pacedness of stuff like Quake III Arena/Quake Live, Unreal Tournament, Tribes, so on and so forth from the golden age of FPSs.   Not that MLE would ever play them because they're the sort of games which don't cater to gamepad players, console ports notwithstanding. Even the console ports had the distinction of being the few console FPSs to actually have keyboard and mouse support in some form. (Quake III on...
 I've still got a 10 GB Maxtor drive dating back to a super-crappy (we're talking PC-Chips in an AT case crappy here) AMD K6-2 build my father threw together for me years ago lying around. Yes, it still works. Funny thing is, said father actually PREFERRED Maxtor when it came to hard drive brands. Imagine my surprise years later when everyone wanted to avoid them specifically like the plague... Meanwhile, I've had one Western Digital 500 GB drive die on me and a Seagate 2...
 I certainly wouldn't replace my desktop at home with it by any means. No laptop is gonna touch a 4770K on water with potentially two desktop graphics cards backing it. (Granted, I only have a single GTX 760 4 GB right now, but hey, who knows what Pascal and Volta will bring?) Only problem is, that thing is not something I want to move around on a regular basis. A fully-loaded Corsair 800D is quite a heavy, bulky beast.  That's precisely my sticking point, and really, I'd...
All this talk of gaming laptops, and the only one I want is $3200 for what isn't even the highest-end configuration...   Cherry MX keyboard, cooling system that's actually up to the task, easy to upgrade, GTX 980M SLI for desktop-level graphics performance...really, my only complaint with this thing that isn't price-related is the 1080p screen with no mention of 120 Hz or a non-TN panel type to make up for the low resolution.
 My family's fortunate enough to live in an area with fairly solid Sprint LTE coverage (no Spark yet in Georgia, though) and have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, albeit a hideously expensive one north of $200/month for just three lines. And then we added a fourth for someone who moved in with us...yes, before you ask, I did try to talk them into switching, but the cost of getting new phones for any other carrier was a big deterrent. Funny thing is, our voice minutes...
Mere days after I was lamenting the AT&T U-verse/Comcast duopoly in my area and Georgia as a whole having terrible ISP options, Atlanta gets confirmed for Google Fiber!   Unfortunately, it probably won't quite reach to my home since I'm living a bit too far from the listed cities, but it's a start and should give the local ISPs a swift kick in the ass. I mean, when Comcast tops out at 11 Mbps upload (only got about half that when we were still with them) and AT&T only...
 Sounds like the reason why I wound up selling my SR-Lambda + SRM-T1 despite being damned close to sonic perfection...well, that and spending like $750-900 on a headphone and amp is a tough financial pill to swallow for too long. Nothing kills your wallet like electrostatics due to the amplification requirements. Going through lots of things, be it headphones or anything else, is the only way to really get any experience with this stuff. Sometimes it's better, sometimes...