or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

The solution on PC, if you can't use an internal sound card, is a USB device with virtual surround of some sort, like the Recon3D USB, X7 (though USB, NOT optical/Toslink), or one of the assorted USB Xonars if you're more into Dolby Headphone. Just DON'T use a plain stereo audiophile USB DAC for this. HDMI's only a concern for consoles right now, and believe me, I wish there was a Mixamp-size HDMI processor for the sake of my Wii U (which doesn't have an S/PDIF output and...
So I'm just looking through Steam again and-   TALES OF ZESTIRIA, OF ALL THE THINGS!? With a free copy of Symphonia if enough people pre-order?   I gotta say, I'm not used to seeing major JRPG releases make their way to PC like this. It's a first for the Tales franchise, at any rate.   Let's just hope it's not an awful port now. Makes me wonder which version MLE's gonna pick up.
 There's only so much they can do about nausea with the headset design itself; the burden of avoiding nauseating experiences lies largely on the software developers to follow VR best practices, something that Oculus has spent considerable time writing documents on, and also something that Google's had a hand in through the Cardboard Design Lab app. Consistent framerates and low latency are part of it; I generally don't suffer from motion sickness and could play Descent all...
Sound card choice is largely based on what virtual surround tech suits you best, since they all bear competent DACs nowadays.   For a start, you might want to try installing modded Realtek drivers with the X-Fi MB3 software to try out at first. X-Fi MB3 sets itself up as a virtual audio device and has the SBX Pro Studio features present in their current Z-series cards.   The more important choice boils down to your headphones, really. $300 is plenty, possibly more than...
 If the $150 MSRP is true, they just priced themselves outta the market, and I can't say I'm fond of the D-Pad shape they showed off... They'd have more of a chance if that was the controller they'd bundle with the Oculus Rift CV1 instead of the standard Xbox One pad!  If SCUF has a patent for having the face buttons replicated under the grips to be used by your middle and ring fingers, I call prior art on that! Yep, that trait dates back to the original Xbox, maybe even...
 Not sure about the color reproduction compared to professional RGB LED IPS panels with stupid huge color gamuts (think HP DreamColor here), but they definitely beat the pants off your typical TN LCD if the monitor's calibrated properly. Contrast, on the other hand? No contest, LCDs cannot compete with CRT black levels (assuming it's not an FD Trinitron with crazy G2 voltage drift that hasn't been corrected in WinDAS). That's another reason I'm hoping for more OLED...
 Congrats on the FW900 find!Now let's just hope the flyback or some other HV component doesn't blow on you down the line like mine did...if the monitor starts color-blooming while warming up, that's generally not a good sign. If it just works without skewed colors or anything, though, all the better.
Input devices, you say?   Mainly an IBM Model M and Logitech G502 on my end, though I'd really like a converted Model F 122-key at some point. Or an Infinity ErgoDox with Clears.   It's mostly all the extra stuff I have that makes me want a new computer desk because I can't arrange them all comfortably around me, which is where a split keyboard like the ErgoDox would really help...if I could afford it in the first place.   -3Dconnexion SpacePilot. Didn't use it as a...
 This question largely boils down to the games in question and how their audio is implemented. The reason most of us pursue sound cards with the proper DSP effects (and external sound processors like the Mixamp on the console gaming side of things) in the first place is that most games are NOT designed with HRTF surround in mind. Everything sounds so flat and one-dimensional on a pure stereo DAC like the ODAC in most cases. I could even say that for older...
 That and most modern flight sims are still CPU-limited more than anything. Chalk it up to old DX9-era game engines that aren't really optimized for today's hardware. Speaking of which, that's a field that could certainly use some updates, and I don't mean vaporware updates like DCS EDGE, or the "Extremely Delayed Graphics Engine" as the fans have taken to calling it over the past four years or so that it hasn't been released. This second or third generation of upcoming VR...