or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

I've still got a 10 GB Maxtor drive dating back to a super-crappy (we're talking PC-Chips in an AT case crappy here) AMD K6-2 build my father threw together for me years ago lying around. Yes, it still works. Funny thing is, said father actually PREFERRED Maxtor when it came to hard drive brands. Imagine my surprise years later when everyone wanted to avoid them specifically like the plague... Meanwhile, I've had one Western Digital 500 GB drive die on me and a Seagate 2...
 I certainly wouldn't replace my desktop at home with it by any means. No laptop is gonna touch a 4770K on water with potentially two desktop graphics cards backing it. (Granted, I only have a single GTX 760 4 GB right now, but hey, who knows what Pascal and Volta will bring?) Only problem is, that thing is not something I want to move around on a regular basis. A fully-loaded Corsair 800D is quite a heavy, bulky beast.  That's precisely my sticking point, and really, I'd...
All this talk of gaming laptops, and the only one I want is $3200 for what isn't even the highest-end configuration...   Cherry MX keyboard, cooling system that's actually up to the task, easy to upgrade, GTX 980M SLI for desktop-level graphics performance...really, my only complaint with this thing that isn't price-related is the 1080p screen with no mention of 120 Hz or a non-TN panel type to make up for the low resolution.
 My family's fortunate enough to live in an area with fairly solid Sprint LTE coverage (no Spark yet in Georgia, though) and have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, albeit a hideously expensive one north of $200/month for just three lines. And then we added a fourth for someone who moved in with us...yes, before you ask, I did try to talk them into switching, but the cost of getting new phones for any other carrier was a big deterrent. Funny thing is, our voice minutes...
Mere days after I was lamenting the AT&T U-verse/Comcast duopoly in my area and Georgia as a whole having terrible ISP options, Atlanta gets confirmed for Google Fiber!   Unfortunately, it probably won't quite reach to my home since I'm living a bit too far from the listed cities, but it's a start and should give the local ISPs a swift kick in the ass. I mean, when Comcast tops out at 11 Mbps upload (only got about half that when we were still with them) and AT&T only...
 Sounds like the reason why I wound up selling my SR-Lambda + SRM-T1 despite being damned close to sonic perfection...well, that and spending like $750-900 on a headphone and amp is a tough financial pill to swallow for too long. Nothing kills your wallet like electrostatics due to the amplification requirements. Going through lots of things, be it headphones or anything else, is the only way to really get any experience with this stuff. Sometimes it's better, sometimes...
 Well, there goes any chance I had of selling my MA900 whatsoever...oh wait, the X2's twice the price on Amazon. Of course I'd expect it to be better!
 Shoot, that's another reason for me to sell the MA900 right there! Been meaning to pick up a Vita and just never got around to it... But if I get one, there's no going back from OLED, even with all the other improvements of the revised Vita.
 I'm just talking about what the human eye can actually perceive in terms of framerate. Game engine physics quirks as a result of running at particular framerates are a different matter.  I'm not too concerned about movies, but video games need to run on it without much fuss. I hear that's not currently the case for the DK2 and it's quite a kludge. If the CV1 is going to take off, it needs to be pretty much plug-and-play for the average user. Connect it as a secondary...
 It's only "cleaning house" because while I do like the MA900 and would probably use them as a secondary headphone quite a lot thanks to their efficiency, I need to fill in the hole the AKG K7XX left in my wallet. Since my particular K7XX is free of blatant driver defects (no rattle or cone breakup that I've noticed) and I found it to sound quite nice even when driven directly from my X-Fi Titanium HD, I feel it's a keeper. No, it's still not as good as my old Stax...