Posts by NamelessPFG

I haven't bought any new PC components lately, even as tempting as the GTX 970 is right now, so there's not much for me to discuss in here.   Not unless someone in here actually cares about me rewiring old HOTAS controls to modern USB controllers, anyway. That's the sorta talk I reserve for SimHQ and the Star Citizen forums, because people would actually care about that sorta stuff there.   I guess I could talk about how the $12.74 Battlefield 4 sale on GameFly even...
 CMSS-3D Headphone tends to emphasize treble and dial down bass a bit. Dolby Headphone does the opposite. That might explain some of it. While the sound quality degradation is not lost on me, the positioning is what I prioritize, and thus far, the only thing that's even comparable to my ears for pinpoint positioning, enough to give me that "your head's in the game!" sensation, is Aureal A3D on a Vortex-chipset card set to headphone mode. This is, of course, assuming native...
(Oh god, that image quality looks awful. That's the last time I upload directly from a smartphone!) The TM HOTAS Warthog throttle there isn't the new purchase in question, I've had that for a while now. But as good as of a product as it is, it's still nothing compared to some genuine mil-spec hardware. I just need to wire that surplus A-10 throttle to a USB joystick board, build an enclosure for it, and I'm good to go.
I wish I could name some myself, but even I can't think of a single one.   Battlefield 3/4/Hardline Enhanced Stereo Mode needs more verification, and anything that uses AstoundSound is inherently disqualified if the enhanced audio has no CPU fallback without an AMD TrueAudio card.   That may change as this plugin takes off for Unity-based games:   http://realspace3daudio.com/   I'm actually kinda astounded that binaural audio is only now making something of a...
 I know about the Microsoft study results on that all too well. They could easily level the playing field by actually taking advantage of the fact that modern consoles have USB ports. Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament and Half-Life all had console ports (mainly Dreamcast and PS2) back in the day. Guess what they all had in common? That's right - native KB+M support. But now we live in an age where consoles support KB+M for interface use, but they don't bother implementing...
The only Battlefield I'd play on console is Bad Company 1, and that's only because they never released a PC version.   Cross-platform multiplayer should really be more of a standard feature so communities aren't segregated like this.
GameFly's selling the basic PC version for $12.74 with the SEP15OFF coupon code.   So yeah, I pulled the trigger. Not that I feel like playing these sorta games without friends to back me up...
 It's hard to comment on DTS Headphone:X when there isn't a headphone surround processor available for purchase that uses it yet, to my knowledge. Where's the Turtle Beach TAC, anyway? I was actually thinking that DTS H:X's main schtick would've only applied to movies in the form of a pre-recorded binaural audio track, but if they can convert existing 5.1/7.1 sources to binaural-esque mixing, as the TAC would imply, then maybe we've got a competitor to DH on that front....
Huh, it has a built-in two-channel speaker amp. Didn't see that coming. I'd have a great use for that, but if it behaves like the Sound Core3D cards, then it might not output a headphone-optimized SBX Pro Surround mix over the speaker amp outs, which would greatly hinder its usefulness in driving Stax transformer boxes. Also, no mentions of DTS or Dolby Pro Logic II decoding are present, which hinders its use for me in console gaming. There's no HDMI audio-in,...
All this talk about laptop trackpads, and what I really want is for TrackPoints to be more common outside of ThinkPads and certain other business-class laptops, especially if I could hold down Fn or something to scroll with it.   No massive waste of space, easy to reach from the home row, don't have to worry about my palms brushing against it...   That said, much as I prefer them, I wound up on a notebook without one simply because Fujitsu refuses to put them on their...