or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

Aw, crap. I think I just instantly blew my MMX 300's left driver after accidentally leaving the system volume at 100. This was just after a proper recabling, too.   I don't think I need to explain how pissed off I am at the prospect of having to track down another MMX 300/DT770 32-ohm driver and baffle to get this thing fully working once again. It might not even be cost-effective at all compared to just buying a used DT770 and transplanting the drivers.   Meanwhile, I...
 I can't test it, but even so, I wouldn't recommend it. Further testing in my experience revealed that it actually sounded terrible, all distorted and crap compared to running it straight. One of these days, I need to rewrite the guide outright.  Well, this is an interesting forum thread. Sure wish I knew about it earlier; I'll give it a good read and see what I can do to improve those Frostbite engine games' mixing. Everyone here has also been deconstructing what game...
Well, looks like my friend ultimately decided against the X-Fi Sonic Carrier, so I won't be reviewing that come September. He's got some other Yamaha sound bar he's pleased with right now and decided he wanted to put most of that money toward the HTC Vive instead. Still waiting on the refund, though.   As for No Man's Sky, I'm keeping my eyes on that one. While I'm not sure I'd go and spend $60 for it right off the bat, I do like exploring new worlds and all. The...
 I was hoping for BF2143, especially with the subtle hints they dropped in past games (and BF4: End Game especially), but EA might see it as overlapping too much with Star Wars: Battlefront 3 right now. Then again, they let Medal of Modern happen at a time when Battlefield had effectively succeeded it as EA's flagship FPS franchise. They could also just revisit Vietnam again, but it wasn't all that long ago when they released the BF:BC2 expansion. I doubt they'd make it...
 Elite: Dangerous controls just fine, but you have to know how to set up your controls properly. Really, for any sort of flight or space "sim", the FIRST thing you should be doing is checking the controls and remapping them appropriately. It's not too hard to do in ED considering how simple it is - yes, simple, it's hardly DCS. Hell, it's the first thing I check for any game, even mainstream genres. Being an ESDF user enforces that.  Geez, no wonder you hate the default...
 Funny that you bring that up, since a friend of mine overseas needed help pre-ordering it due to their refusal to ship outside the States. His is the 60th unit sold. He even let me keep the bundled Sound Blaster Roar Pro speaker (CES period promo) as a gesture of thanks. Got it yesterday, still trying to decide if I should keep or sell it. We'll find out if that soundbar's worth it come September. I'm skeptical that it can deliver convincing surround compared to discrete...
My wallet is REALLY going to hate me right now.   I knew the Oculus Rift CV1 was going to be expensive. I was predicting $500.   It's $629 shipped.   Now I'm really kicking myself for not having the funds for a $300 pledge on Kickstarter two years ago!   But, hey, at least it won't be long now 'til I have the Elite Dangerous and DCS experience I'd been dreaming of for years now.   My greater concern is that they just priced themselves out of the market; gaming...
 Duly noted. It's mainly the strain relief boots I'm worried about when it comes to re-terminating the existing cable; other than that, there's more than enough slack in the entire cable for me to lop off a bit and still keep it usable since it's for desktop use. Even then, I'm reasonably sure the fault in the cable lies past the existing Y-split and I wouldn't have to trim off too much. Gonna have to keep that "marine" heatshrink in mind; it's bound to come in handy for...
Well, this is distressing. My good SR-Lambda has a cable issue running somewhere up to the right driver. Causes crackling if the cable's moved too much, but if I keep my head still enough, I don't hear it. That won't do for TrackIR use, though, and it's rather distracting to hear crackling out of a set known for mindblowing clarity.   I opened up the earcup just to be sure, and the solder joints look fine. Pretty sure this is a mid-cable problem that won't be easily...
Wait, there's only single-sided magnets in their current drivers?   I thought half the appeal of a planar driver configuration, whether electromagnetically or electrostatically driven, was the balanced "diaphragm sandwiched between two elements" push-pull approach to driver design.   I guess they have to keep costs down and keep their range separated somehow.