Posts by NamelessPFG

I'd also throw in the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 into the "headsets that don't suck" list...but there's no way I'd pay the usual $275-300 for one, either. If they were more regularly sold around $165 like the PC360, the decision would be a lot tougher. Also, it's sort of relieving that someone tested out Sonic Radar so I don't have to. (Don't want to risk Realtek drivers somehow screwing things up with my X-Fi.) As expected, when all it has to go by are 7.1 speaker positions,...
 I'd like to know where you got that because it might be a good read, enough to optimize my air-cooled systems a little more. My situation is a bit different, though: water-cooling, with a radiator. Do you still feel that the top as intake makes sense when all that air is going through a radiator that isn't fixed to the CPU socket, or did everything you just said go flying out the window?
...Wait a minute, am I reading that right? Top vents as INTAKES?   Remember what they said about how hot air rises? That's why the top vents are generally used as EXHAUSTS.   For my 800D, the way I arrange it is that all three of the included 140mm fans are intakes, flipping the rear 140mm fan around from its stock direction, and the top 3*120mm fan mounts hold the radiator and the fans pushing air through it to the outside.   All things considered, air pressure's...
I'm not saying G-SYNC itself will add input lag, but the GPU-side resolution rescaling could easily add it. The whole need for native resolutions is still something that every CRT-succeeding technology suffers from for people into retrogaming like myself, and there are already people on OCN complaining that recent NVIDIA drivers that added the GPU scaling in the first place add a lot of latency.   Also, now that I think about it, by the time G-SYNC and FreeSync become...
 My sources had only mentioned AstoundSound in a middleware context, capable of providing HRTF completely in software. If that's the case, then it's bound to be another one of those confusing Aureal A3D cases where they brand various different audio technologies with the same name. As for DTS Headphone X, from what I've heard, it's entirely pre-recorded and thus useless for gaming, hence why you only find it in movies. I'd certainly like to hear about a real-time variant,...
 2560x1600 at around 70-72 Hz. Problem is, it turns out that such a high resolution on a 22" viewable area is...rather cramped. That's why I usually dial it down to 1920x1200.  We'll see about that. G-SYNC and FreeSync are promising technologies, but I'm not sure I want to put up with awful non-native resolution rescaling (a problem only CRTs don't have) or potential added input lag. Also considering just how much GPU power it takes to push 4K at 60 FPS or more, running at...
 Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect are simply real-time AC-3/Dolby Digital and DTS encoding features for PCs, since they generally transmit their surround channels in PCM format. S/PDIF only has enough bandwidth for two PCM channels, so unless a PC has those features, it can only output stereo through S/PDIF. (Or if it already has a capable sound card with Dolby Headphone, CMSS-3D Headphone, etc., it can output pre-mixed virtual surround over S/PDIF, allowing one to have...
HDMI input, please! S/PDIF is fine for most recent console gaming purposes, but then you have to take the Wii U into account, which doesn't have S/PDIF output and would force me to decode a Dolby Pro Logic II signal over analog for surround...   That aside, I'm definitely in the market for anything that can replace my SU-DH1, which isn't exactly spectacular when it comes to sound quality and lacks chat mixing, but has DTS decoding and all three Dolby Headphone modes to...
That's a Sony GDM-FW900, all right-THE CRT monitor to rule them all for PC gaming. This one fortunately doesn't have any serious color drift issues like a lot of other FD Trinitrons of its age do, and I could tweak up the convergence perfectly with WinDAS. Follow that up with some calibration through HCFR (to get grayscale neutral through the entire range) and i1Profiler (to get the gamma sorted out), and this thing is just GLORIOUS.   Real contrast ratios that LCDs can...
 Any particular recommendations regarding specific fitting brands or models, or will any of 'em do? Speaking of long-in-the-tooth systems, I mostly built this one because my old Q6600 box was really showing its age with current games. Going from Kentsfield to Haswell is night-and-day for anything CPU-limited. Going from Sandy Bridge to Haswell, as some might consider? Not so much... Also, word is that the TIM isn't the real problem with Ivy Bridge and Haswell, but the glue...