Posts by NamelessPFG

Beyerdynamic claims the MMX 300 is based on one of their aviation headsets, but authenticity isn't the reason I keep it. The reason is, of all things, the microphone. It's much, much better than my desk mic, and I doubt that many have the ability to effectively filter out the noise of my Model M. Meanwhile, the headphone section is good enough for positional audio that I don't feel like I have to reach for the MA900 every time I want to start gaming, and the comfort's...
 That was quite a delayed response given the age of this thread...and while they may not have used CMSS-3D, did they use A3D? That was the context of the CS comparison. Of course, if you're still talking CS 1.6, it's a moot point now that Valve utterly emasculated 3D sound support from all GoldSRC-based games in the name of Linux support, without bothering to replace it with OpenAL. Maybe some people can discern positional sounds in competitive FPSs without the use of...
Figures that other things I want are popping up for sale...something's gotta give if I'm going to have a chance at buying them before anyone else. Damn my general interest in exotic, expensive hardware...   I guess that means I'll have to part with the MA900, if anyone's still interested in it with everyone hyping the Fidelio X1 instead and all. They're a good set, but they honestly haven't seen much use ever since I got the MMX 300.
 I'd be surprised too if the netcode got fixed up in time; it's always been quirky ever since BF1942 1.0, back when you'd die of fall damage just by walking off the steep slopes of Wake Island, and I hear Codename: Eagle made early BF1942 look downright stable by comparison. 10 Hz tick rate? Seriously? That explains a lot. I still remember this one moment in BF:BC2 where someone was sprinting straight at me from a distance, not even shooting. I lit him up for a good second...
 That bolded part was referring specifically to Sony's virtual surround implementation for their PlayStation headsets, which if you read the requirements carefully, actually denotes a minimum firmware version. Those same headsets also work on PCs, but present themselves as stereo USB audio devices with no surround options. The conclusion's pretty clear to me: the headset and USB transceiver don't do any of the surround processing whatsoever. It's all on the PS3/PS4, which...
 I haven't played it, but I'd be highly surprised if there's a worse port in recent memory than Deadly Premonition. We're talking about a game that, despite having Xbox 360 icons and clearly being designed for gamepad use due to its console heritage, does NOT actually use XInput, and the DirectInput code is so messed-up that you can't even use the gamepad proper unless you run it in Win9x compatibility mode and sacrifice your framerate in the process. By contrast, Dark...
To those of you asking if virtual surround is possible on the new consoles? It's BEEN possible for over a decade; the game developers just don't feel like implementing it! DICE is the only one who even tried with BF3, and that was after the audio travesty that was BF:BC2. I suspect the same trend will continue on the current generation with console manufacturers only providing stereo mixes for the headphone outputs on the gamepads, maybe offering virtual 7.1 at best like...
Yes, you set the analog output of the ZxR as the default audio device in Windows, make sure it's set for 5.1 or 7.1 speakers, then go into the ZxR control panel and enable an option resembling "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output". That duplicates the analog signal across S/PDIF. Optical/Toslink is a DIGITAL interface. It never even touches the sound card's DAC. You're just setting it up to process the digital signal and send the processed signal to an external DAC...
How is Titan Mode going to work in a present-day setting? Giant blimps instead of BF2142's huge floating sci-fi ships? I just hope it plays nice with the netcode this time. BF2142 is the only game since BF1942 to have huge ships one can walk and fight in, on and around...
I hope that Q9400 was already dead before you decided to go drill a hole through it. Feels like a waste of perfectly good CPU otherwise.   As for DICE, I lost faith in them back with BF:BC2, and were I to have spent money on it years earlier, possibly BF2142 for the ridiculously overdone unlock system that represents everything wrong with mainstream FPS gaming today. Clever way for EA to sell unlock DLC, but I see through their ruse.   Good thing BF1942's still free,...