Posts by NamelessPFG

I've seen 'em go on eBay for $350 and under before fairly regularly. On the flip side, they tend to be units with cards ripped out, stepped attenuators slipped in, and other crazy mods done to them...none of which include making one of the outputs Pro bias, which you'd think they'd have done in the first place. Now, if it were the rare SRA-14S, I could see THAT fetching $500+ easy...
If I could have afforded to keep my Stax SR-Lambda with the stock drivers (not the rebuilt ones in my other set with noticeably less extension both ways), this would be a very easy question to answer.   But I didn't, so...this is a tough call.   On one hand, there's the Sony MDR-MA900, with its ludicrous soundstage, great mids, unparalleled comfort and high efficiency.   On the other hand, there's the Beyerdynamic MMX 300, with its more substantial build, greater...
Given how most games don't include binaural/HRTF mixing of any sort and treat headphones as one-dimensional left/right panning devices, playing in stereo for a 3D game is effectively handicapping yourself if virtual surround mixes of any sort work for you. Just having front/rear positional cues is a big game changer.   Yes, the overall sound quality gets degraded somewhat...but in a game, you're usually spending less time admiring the sound samples and more time trying...
That Skyrim video's a pretty good demo, especially once it gets past the intro part.   The only thing I wish it included in the intro section was the part where you're stuck face-to-the-ground for a few seconds after Alduin shows up to interrupt your execution. That part in particular is almost all rear-channel, behind-your-head audio with virtual surround, immersive and mind-blowing when you hear it for yourself.   And yes, the MA900 excels at this sort of thing. Mad...
 You just HAD to get my headphone curiosity fired up again... ...however, it's a US$1500 MSRP headphone, same as the HD800, and thus well out of my price range. Even my Stax setups didn't cross the $850 line, and that's mainly with an SRM-T1 in the overall figure taking up more than half the cost. Chances are that even with all the talk of the K812 being more efficient, I'd still want something like a Gilmore Lite (the one dynamic amp spritzer considered "entry-level",...
 SRA-12S at that price...yeah, way overpriced. That's SRM-T1 money, easily. Any sort of Lambda for $130, though? If it works, GRAB IT ASAP before someone else does! Heck, even if it doesn't work, it would probably fetch that much as a parts unit.
 Are we talking strictly direct output into the headphones, or with an amp in the chain, should output impedance somehow affect the signal being carried in any way? I ask to set up my usual spanner in the works for every impedance discussion: electrostatics. Nobody really gives impedance figures for them, just required bias voltages, but it's said that crazy impedance swings are part of the technical challenge involved in making a good, transparent 'stat amp.
 The other reason it doesn't make sense is that most of the perceived sound quality at the end is a function of the headphone. Buyers should pick out whatever headphone fits their tastes and then buy the amp that brings the most out of it. Going the other way around is unnecessarily limiting...especially if you're like me and develop a taste for electrostatics at that price range, which rules out the vast majority of the amp market. Also, I don't really like combo...
The only other thing I've found is the Pioneer SE-DIR800C, but it's a discontinued wireless headphone system.   Fortunately, the Dolby Headphone DSP/DAC/transmitter box is said to actually have an analog output, so you're not forced to use that particular set of wireless headphones. It even has the DH1/DH2/DH3 room mode adjustments.   Unfortunately, the eBay prices are stupid high, as in $300+, and given that, again, it's DISCONTINUED, I don't see that getting any...
It's been a while since I posted in here, so I might as well group some of my significant purchases in one shot.     Most notable is that VKB Fat Black Mamba stick, which I just got today. First impressions are pretty positive overall, though if I just had an adapter to plop that TM HOTAS Warthog stick handle on it, that would be near perfection...problem is, I'll probably have to sell the whole Warthog system to cover the cost.   There's also the Beyerdynamic MMX...