Posts by NamelessPFG

You got it mixed up again. SBX Pro Surround is on the newer Z-series cards; the X-Fi Titanium HD uses CMSS-3D Headphone in Game Mode and THX TruStudio Surround in Entertainment Mode. If headphone amplification is really that big of a deal to you, I'd suggest budgeting for an external amp.  It just sounds better in terms of positional audio cues to me, particularly in DirectSound3D/OpenAL-enabled games where you get a full 3D soundscape instead of just virtual 7.1. This...
 You're confusing requirements for getting virtual surround out of console games (ala Mad Lust Envy's thread) with the requirements for PC games. For PC games, you DON'T NEED Dolby Digital or DTS encoding at all; it can already pre-mix it into CMSS-3D Headphone/Dolby Headphone/SBX Pro Surround/etc. before piping the processed two-channel stream out through S/PDIF (or through Stereo Mix/"What U Hear") and into an external DAC. The only reason I'd see for anyone possibly...
 Someone brought a retail copy to the game room today; although the copyright text mentions Dolby Labs, there is otherwise no presence of a Dolby logo for anything on the case or the disc. (Nobody played it because they were too busy playing Tales of Graces f instead, though.) For what it's worth, the original GameCube release doesn't have Dolby Pro Logic II-encoded output, either. It's just stereo. And speaking of which...I know I'm supposed to be more tolerant of old...
 Well, now it's out, and they defied my expectations...of how much worse it could get. They butchered the gameplay! They butchered the mythos! And now, it's confirmed for full-on DmC in terms of painfully edgy writing!  Sorry, guys, but unless I get this one for free, any AstoundSound evaluation sans TrueAudio DSP will have to wait. That's just not worth it, no way.
 Please tell me they're going to localize the entire trilogy this time...last time I heard, it was just First Chapter on PSP, and that's all we got.
Just so anyone who looks upon this thread knows, even though the question was answered elsewhere:   X-Fi cards have their EQ in the Console Launcher interface, NOT the Audio Control Panel interface.   I have no idea why Creative has two mostly similar utilities for adjusting sound card settings, with options placed differently between them and sometimes keeping certain adjustments exclusive to the Console Launcher, but that's how it is.
 Why would you want to take the HDMI audio path and cram that into S/PDIF to output to another DAC instead of just directly working with the HDMI audio signal? In other words, what you really want is a headphone surround processor that has HDMI. Unfortunately, your wallet isn't going to like the choices: Replace your Denon AVR with a different AVR that has built-in Dolby Headphone mixing and HDMI inputs, like some older triple-digit Harmon/Kardon models and the Marantz...
 I understand how you feel, all too well. Some people just want to be told everything, instead of finding out the answers themselves with a little guidance. Quite a shame, given how we all hear differently, fit things on our heads differently and have different preferences in general. This thread's meant to be a guideline, a sort of reference point where people can get started and work out from there. It's not an empirical "these headphones are the only headphones you...
Nicer headphones and a nicer audiophile DAC won't do anything about games treating headphones as one-dimensional left/right panning devices with no depth whatsoever, and if my MMX 300 is any indication, that DT770 will benefit pretty nicely from a headphone virtual surround mix, even though something like an HD800 could benefit even more.   The question is whether the OP games enough to want the added immersion and competitive edge that virtual surround can bring.
 Ah, you're a parent now? Congrats! By the time CS 1.6 rolled around, which was probably around 2003 or so when Valve first brought out Steam (and we all hated it, not expecting it to become the face of PC gaming years later), Aureal was already dead for a few years, bought up by Creative. Creative never really adopted A3D directly, instead just burying it in favor of their own EAX (jerks), but it would not surprise me if they borrowed some Aureal tech along with Sensaura...