Posts by NamelessPFG

People have tried that sort of thing countless times already.It doesn't work. Why? PC sound cards CANNOT DECODE Dolby Digital or DTS signals fed into their S/PDIF inputs, with few exceptions (those being old PCI cards I haven't tested yet). Apparently, Dolby and DTS don't like the thought of people being able to record such signals with PCs; I can't think of any other reason they wouldn't license out the tech for decoding on the inputs. (Do not confuse this with ENcoding...
 If you need a virtual surround processor that takes a digital surround signal, mixes it with virtual surround, and pipes it back out as a two-channel PCM S/PDIF stream for use with an audiophile DAC? Smyth Realiser A8. I don't know of anything else that does that sort of thing without throwing in a DAC stage and only outputting analog; sorry about your wallet. If you need the above with USB audio chat mixing for PS3 use? Good luck with that; your dream device doesn't...
Absolutely not.You need to install the drivers on ANY sound card to make use of the DSP features. Otherwise, it's just another DAC/ADC.Also, the X-Fi Bravura's a fake. Should've bought a Forte or HomeTheater HD for a real CA-20K2.
 If you'd looked at his Tritton AX Pro review on the first page, you'd find that Mad Lust Envy found it awful to the point of making it his first AND LAST multi-driver surround headset review. There might be one set that doesn't totally suck, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere. On top of that, if that caption about costing "under $2400" is to be believed, I'd rather treat myself to a good pair of Stax and a virtual surround processor.
Speaking of the GTX 750 Ti, it seems like a good card to build a PE-4L eGPU assembly around because of its power efficiency. It won't need a huge PSU, allowing me to keep the whole thing portable, and PCIe x1 bandwidth over ExpressCard bottlenecks most high-end cards anyway.   It's definitely the sort of upgrade my T901 needs. Damn Tablet PC manufacturers crippling their $1,900+ MSRP machines with Intel graphics...at least I only paid $300 for this one and it's...
I've heard of this before.It sounds like an electrostatic driver, just with a graphene diaphragm instead of a Mylar one. Old tech, new materials.Makes me wonder if the next SR-009 or Orpheus HE/90 will have a graphene diaphragm...
 I find it quite telling that my current all-time favorite headphone, out of everything I've tried, dates back to 1979. That's when Stax introduced a more compact, more conventional take on the SR-Sigma in the form of the SR-Lambda, whose basic frame design is still used to this day...and yet I still prefer those original Lambdas to the SR-202 in terms of tonality and sound presentation. So much for "newer is better". It also figures that the ESP/950 is said to share a lot...
 Not only that, but the PS4 isn't backwards-compatible at all right now. Doesn't do you a whole lot of good if you want to play PS3 games that don't also have PS4 releases. For that matter, half the reason I bought my PS3 was to play PS2 games! PCSX2 wasn't always working out for me, I never owned a PS2 for all of 6th-gen, and I generally preferred to have one console instead of two taking up space. As for the PS4's current library, I see very few things, if anything, that...
I've maintained for a while now that people with speaker amps will probably get the most bang for their buck out of the usual $250-350 vintage Stax Lambda + SRD-6 or SRD-7/SB listings.   Even if you don't have a speaker amp, integrated receivers/AVRs tend to be pretty affordable these days. They're incredibly bulky for a computer desk, but affordable nonetheless.
 If you're talking about that infamous Teksyndicate video, it's been ripped apart in this very thread countless times for generating more misinformation and FUD. Well-intentioned as it may be, they're only spreading more misconceptions, to the consternation of all us Head-Fi folk. I'll just tell you this: if games mixed headphone surround properly from the outset, then we wouldn't be using virtual surround on PCs or consoles alike to begin with. The problem is that they...