Posts by NamelessPFG

Any particular recommendations regarding specific fitting brands or models, or will any of 'em do? Speaking of long-in-the-tooth systems, I mostly built this one because my old Q6600 box was really showing its age with current games. Going from Kentsfield to Haswell is night-and-day for anything CPU-limited. Going from Sandy Bridge to Haswell, as some might consider? Not so much... Also, word is that the TIM isn't the real problem with Ivy Bridge and Haswell, but the glue...
FWIR on the Mixamp, the headphone output is actually 4-conductor, including the mic input, so you'll need a Y-cable for the MMX 300's TRS plugs to be integrated into a single TRRS plug. That should have been included with the Mixamp itself, but you can buy them separately if necessary.   However, I don't actually own a Mixamp myself. You're probably better off asking on Mad Lust Envy's guide thread.
 Not only do you have a nice collection of retro consoles (including THAT SATURN), but you've even got a Sony PVM for 15 KHz RGB support for 'em! You've got it made! Meanwhile, here's my messy gaming area:  That's just a fraction of my console collection on the left side of my desk, notably my own Saturn (connected via RGB to my PC's capture card), an original Xbox (still the best Xbox) and my PS3. I've got my other consoles elsewhere, chiefly two NES front-loaders, two...
Do I have to explain Dolby Pro Logic II again?   For our purposes, it's a DECODER. Enabling that decoder on a two-channel signal with no Pro Logic channel data matrixed into it (usually with out-of-phase trickery for the rear channels) is completely pointless, like trying to somehow enable a Dolby Digital or DTS decoder on a two-channel PCM stream.   It's just that the Dolby Digital and DTS decoders can be automatically enabled and disabled as needed, since it's easy...
 His is the best, and certainly a system that makes me drool over with envy...but the ONLY one here? Something tells me I forgot to post what I put together over the last few months:   Yes, I'm aware of that one kinked tube. It wasn't kinked when I first put it in, only when I filled and bled the loop. Tubing can be a pain sometimes, and because I don't have QD fittings, I'm reluctant to drain and fill the whole thing again. Angled compression fittings on the Raystorm...
 As if audiophile language wasn't confusing enough already...for me, it's like saying something tastes like purple. One weird thing about the HD800? spritzer hated it initially, but actually wound up liking it when amplified properly. (I'm guessing that means something along the lines of the Gilmore Lite or better.) I never thought any dynamic headphone would win over the don of the Stax Mafia, of all people. In turn, this makes me wonder what amp you auditioned it with...
And to think I've never auditioned the HD650...or any other Sennheiser set, for that matter.   Some say the HD600's better, though, less "veiled"...but still pretty dark/warm overall.   All I know is that if someone lends me the likes of the HD650, LCD-2, maybe even HE-500 and HE-4...I'm going to prepare myself again with another SR-Lambda + SRM-T1 setup, and the battle of "most glorious midrange" shall commence! (And then someone would show up with a Koss ESP/950...
 It wouldn't be the first time my pricing impressions got skewed by eBay, I'll say that much. Shortly before I got the "beater" Lambda that drew me into Stax in the first place, I saw a complete Koss ESP/950 set on eBay for $350 shipped, Buy-It-Now, nothing to suggest it wasn't working. Had me thinking that ESP/950s were really $350 headphones for quite a while...only they haven't dropped below $500 in years, even second-hand. I'm STILL kicking myself over that. Indeed, I...
 Nice summary. For CMSS-3D Headphone, the least-expensive PCI-Express card option is indeed the X-Fi Titanium (non-HD). There are cheaper cards, but you'd have to go PCI, and we all know a lot of newer motherboards don't even include PCI slots, let alone native PCI slots without some kind of bridge chip that tends to have quirks with sound cards as opposed to native chipset support.  I considered requesting a thread move back when the Video Games Discussion section was...
 Funny thing about that statement...it's a lot like how I word my arguments for full 3D audio over headphones. Why simulate a simple 5.1/7.1 speaker system when you could instead represent the way we hear things in real life from all directions with just two ears? Height cues are a wonderful thing, and yet we've effectively lost the ability to have them in PC games over the last several years because developers think 7.1, in all its loose approximation of a 2D plane around...