Posts by NamelessPFG

Yes, you set the analog output of the ZxR as the default audio device in Windows, make sure it's set for 5.1 or 7.1 speakers, then go into the ZxR control panel and enable an option resembling "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output". That duplicates the analog signal across S/PDIF. Optical/Toslink is a DIGITAL interface. It never even touches the sound card's DAC. You're just setting it up to process the digital signal and send the processed signal to an external DAC...
How is Titan Mode going to work in a present-day setting? Giant blimps instead of BF2142's huge floating sci-fi ships? I just hope it plays nice with the netcode this time. BF2142 is the only game since BF1942 to have huge ships one can walk and fight in, on and around...
I hope that Q9400 was already dead before you decided to go drill a hole through it. Feels like a waste of perfectly good CPU otherwise.   As for DICE, I lost faith in them back with BF:BC2, and were I to have spent money on it years earlier, possibly BF2142 for the ridiculously overdone unlock system that represents everything wrong with mainstream FPS gaming today. Clever way for EA to sell unlock DLC, but I see through their ruse.   Good thing BF1942's still free,...
 Going by YouTube videos, it doesn't cut out the bass or screw with the tonality the way CMSS-3D Headphone does... ...but in the end, I still find it worse for actually pinpointing sounds than CMSS-3D Headphone in those L4D2 videos, so SBX Pro Surround still loses. It would be easier for me to test some things out if I had a Z-series card for myself, though. Mostly some theories about EQing the bass and how that might affect perceived positioning, since that's the biggest...
If you're using optical output from the ZxR, you're bypassing its DAC anyway.   You still need to use the ZxR as the primary sound card/source for its DSP effects, though. When you connect the HDVD800 via USB, it's basically a separate sound card without any of the ZxR's DSP features.
And since the MA900's discontinued and all, the price will only keep going up as it sells out. Makes it all the more unlikely you'll get a replacement. I'm probably going to hang onto my MA900 for a while longer, but something desirable and expensive just showed up elsewhere, possibly necessitating the sale of my more valuable gear...
1Sale - Sound Blaster Z, $54.99 shipped   Why didn't anyone mention this earlier? It's going to expire in a little over three hours, or to be more precise, 12:00am EST.   I have to resist the urge...still quite a bit of money to spend just to review something and probably resell it later...
What's especially sad about that example is that it proves the point some of my friends made about a lot of people's attempts at retraux 8-bit graphics:   They call way too much attention to the individual pixels, whereas game developers of the '80s would've actually tried to make things look as good as possible in spite of the technical limitations and NOT make things look pixellated. You can't just slap a bunch of pixels together; basic art principles still...
 Try to win these and hope you've got money left over for a Pro bias amp, perhaps? Or maybe this setup, if you've got a speaker amp on hand and shipping from Australia doesn't murder your budget. Or, just maybe, $600 will be just enough to get you an ESP/950 somewhere. If anything, the headphones are the easy part. The amps, on the other hand...
 Oh, that's nothing. Just wait 'til you've had the chance to play with a big, long, stiff Thrustmaster stick, especially one with a force-sensing mod so it barely moves under all your yanking and banking. Your flight sim pleasure will be taken to new heights! Dear god, what the hell were they thinking with that name? Sure, thrust is the force that pushes an airplane forward, but they're just setting themselves up for things like this. Anyway, on the topic of Enermax PSUs,...