Posts by NamelessPFG

I have yet to play Arena Commander MULTIPLAYER, but I did stream it on Twitch shortly after it was released and they pushed through the maps. That predates the multiplayer update they just pushed out.You didn't see any people impersonating me-or, worse, hijacking my accounts-out there, did you?
As far as smartphones go, I'm just waiting for Samsung to announce the inevitable Galaxy Note IV before the end of the year so I can step up to that when my contract expires in December. I normally wouldn't be itching to replace my Galaxy S III that quickly, but I really want that Wacom digitizer!  Bit high? No kidding! I used Prolimatech PK-3, which is an absolute pain to spread out (though I didn't use the "bag and boil in water" trick some suggested to soften it). It's...
I decided to monitor my temps again, and my 4770K...it's now idling closer to 38-40c, 79c under LinX 0.6.5 load, and ambient's around 25c. All on a custom water-cooling loop with a 360mm rad and at stock M6H clocks (3.9 GHz because it defaults to constant Turbo Boost speed). What gives? I know ambients are much higher in the summer, but something really doesn't seem right about this. As it stands, I'm gonna get thermally walled again trying to push past 4.4 GHz! Perhaps...
I think it's the best so far. Not everyone agrees with me; we all have different ears.With a nice external DAC like that, you can just get a cheap card like an X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) for the DSP effects and run S/PDIF to the DACMagic. It's pretty easy to set up.
 Given how I can't even push my 4770K to 4.5 GHz without cooking it with the Vcore required for absolute LinX 0.6.5 and Prime95 28.1 stability on a custom water-cooling loop, this is somewhat tempting. Maybe I should just delid my existing chip. How tempting it is will largely depend on whether or not Micro Center pulls another "i7 for $200" sale on or just before Black Friday. Too bad I don't work at a place that qualifies for Intel Retail Edge, otherwise I wouldn't even...
I remember seeing those boards all over the place in the late 1990s! If Microsoft didn't cheap out with rubber domes, I might consider one since that sculpted design was pretty nice, but for me, it's mechanical or go home.
 Dolby Digital Live is ONLY for S/PDIF output. If you're running analog, leave it off; there's no point in having it on. ALchemy is only needed for DirectSound3D games. CS:GO doesn't have DS3D enabled by default, nor does any other Source engine game; you need to sent "snd_legacy_surround" to 1 in the console. In-game, I'd go with 5.1/7.1, though it never hurts to experiment!  Asus didn't license any virtual surround tech whatsoever for the Maximus VI lineup, which is...
Fire Strike makes a single desktop GTX 760 choke and SLI GTX 760s barely manage...until you set the quality to Extreme. I'm not even sure SLI GTX 780 Ti cards would provide a good framerate there. 3DMark has always been absolutely brutal on contemporary desktop hardware, needing a few years for the very top-of-the-line components to catch up. I doubt we'll see a worthy laptop at any price for two or three more years. On the flip side, 3DMark is also much more demanding...
I don't even remember exactly where, but it was a local shop in Georgia and NOT a major, widespread chain like Goodwill. Thrift stores are mostly misses, but sometimes you might get a nice old mech board or two. That's how I got another full-size Lexmark Model M (since sold) and an unpictured Model M2 that needs recapping and a spring replacement, alongside some other odd boards like a pair of BTC 5339 foam-and-foil capacitive boards, some Wang board with a great clicky...
I almost forgot this entire forum section existed, let alone this thread.   Now that I remember, I suppose this is the best place in all of Head-Fi to bring up my latest finds:     Under $4 for both of 'em, and one of them was a highly-sought-after tenkeyless Space Saver model!   I don't like how the full-size one's hard-wired with a flimsy cable instead of a sturdy, detachable SDL cable, though. It's fairly common on the '90s Lexmark-built ones, though a few...