Posts by NamelessPFG

Well, I just learned some interesting things recently.   DirectSound3D may still be intact in Vista onward, but ONLY in software. The problem is that most games don't create 3D buffers at all if they don't detect hardware acceleration.   Along with that, there's another method of restoring audio for DS3D games with modern OSes aside from ALchemy, DS3DGX and 3DSoundBack: IndirectSound. It seems to take the 3D buffers and map them to XAudio2 speakers, so it's not what...
 Hey, anything for the specs war, right? I just don't see even higher resolutions on typical smartphones to be practical unless Gear VR/Cardboard become the norm, which I'm still skeptical of. I just want a Gear VR so I can have a taste of what the Rift CV1 might bring when it arrives as something far more advanced than 1990s-era VR headsets. That will certainly benefit greatly from all these advances in smartphone screens if the DK2 using a Note 3 screen wasn't proof...
How'd the Recon3D USB shoot up this much in price? Back when I bought my unit for review a few years back, they weren't even $50 shipped!   I've also heard they've had a few more firmware updates since then. I can only hope they improved the positional audio quality, because I was left rather disappointed for both PC and console use when I had mine. Sold it to Evs, kept my SU-DH1.   Meanwhile, I'm still holding out for a virtual surround processor with HDMI-in and...
These are still being made? Looks like I just got some incentive to buy one and a BoomPro to go with my K7XX!   For that matter, I might even add a 3.5mm TRRS cable to my order, considering I never got around to recabling my MMX 300 with non-crappy wire and a jack for detachability like I wanted to.
I used to have a 720p phone (Galaxy S3), but then Christmas happened, I got the big item on my wishlist, and ended the year with a Galaxy Note 4 so I'm not painfully behind my parents and their Black Friday $1 Galaxy S5s (which I passed on because I very specifically wanted the Note 4).   Geez, I can't even tell this thing's got a PenTile structure even when I lean in close. 2560x1440 in under 6" is ludicrous. Maybe I'll tell it apart when I've got a Gear VR headset,...
FWIW, I heard no rattle on my set (#604, if it matters) doing that test last night at both my usual listening volume and even TWICE my usual listening volume to really exaggerate that bass. Granted, I only used about 10% and 20% respectively direct out of the X-Fi Titanium HD, and for those of you who don't have that sound card, I should note it gets ridiculously LOUD at low volumes with headphones, hence the low percentages. I don't have an SPL meter on hand, so I can't...
Got my K7XX set (#604) a few hours ago! First impressions are pretty much that it has what I liked about the K612 and K712 I auditioned a while back. Supremely comfortable, a sound signature that doesn't put me off, spacious soundstage for gaming, and it actually doesn't sound half bad driven directly from my X-Fi Titanium HD!   I'd say this set's a keeper. Just need one of those AKG mini-DIN -> BoomPro adapters I've heard about, and I could have a cleaner headset setup...
Finally got my K7XX a moment ago, #604!   First impressions are that it delivers what I recall liking about the K612 and K712 from before. Comfort, pleasing sound signature and soundstage, still sounds pretty good directly driven from the X-Fi Titanium HD - definitely a keeper.   Now if I could just get my hands on one of those BoomPro adapters and a BoomPro mic to match, just for something a little more elegant in the cord department than the stock cord and the ModMic...
I think what he really means by a binaural signal is a stereo PCM signal that's been pre-mixed with virtual surround and other DSP effects before the sound card bitstreams it to an external DAC. Any decent sound card should be able to pull that off, so it's more of a matter of preference in virtual surround tech.
Well, looks like I'm getting my K7XX on Monday if UPS is to be believed.   I'll just have to figure out what to do with the existing MA900 after that arrives.