or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

The implication was that licensing out SVS would require the PRIR and head-tracking to be implemented into the AVR in the first place, otherwise it's just not SVS for the very reasons you mentioned. I mean, think about it: the only people likely to have access to a decent surround sound speaker system to make a good PRIR with are those who'd pay good money for an AVR and the speakers connected to it, and many higher-end setups already support a microphone for channel level...
Even more awesome... and still way, way out of my budget. I just wish Smyth Research would actually manage to license the SVS tech out to all those AVR manufacturers, where it would make the most sense to integrate. They'd have economies of scale going for them at that point.
Please, let's not start an argument in here and derail the whole thread in the process. People do get the wrong idea from recent posts; even I fall victim to that now and then.   The whole point's to share the joys of Stax, even (and especially) the stuff that won't completely deflate your wallet. Sometimes people have to pass it on for one reason or another.
Well, if everyone's shamelessly plugging their Stax listings here, I might as well do the same. http://www.head-fi.org/t/815332/fs-stax-sr-lambda-normal-bias-srd-6-srd-7-sb   I just want this stuff to go to someone who'll give it a good listen, hopefully soon.
The picture says it all, really.   The "beater" set with green strips on its pads is one that had its drivers rebuilt (not by Stax, it's clearly an amateur job) and its mineral wool removed before I ever received it; the plain-looking one is stock and still sounds great!   Both the SRD-6 and SRD-7/SB work as you'd expect. Note that because the SRD-7 is a Self-Biasing unit, you have to give it a moment to charge up once you start playing something, whereas the SRD-6 is...
 Not really, since most displays and their interfaces (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort) have gone digital for over a decade. Analog video only really pertains to CRTs, since instead of a digital fixed grid, they scan electron beams over a phosphor surface according to the video signal they're fed, as long as it's within the yoke's sync limits. Because of that, the other direction - videophile ADCs - are more of a thing - mostly upscalers like the Micomsoft XRGB-Mini Framemeister...
 Well, when you have FD Trinitrons in the 21" to 24" range that were top-of-the-line professional graphics monitors in their day acquired for rather low prices, it tends to spoil you rotten. No input lag, perfect viewing angles, black levels that are BLACK, high refresh rates, no native resolutions for when you still like to fire up the classics... these things wipe the floor with LCDs and I'm just waiting for OLED monitors to become more widespread. My only issue is that...
 I've had my day-one Rift CV1 pre-order for about two months, actually. It was pretty much what I expected, so I'm satisfied with what I've got since there aren't any blatant manufacturing defects impeding my use of it. I sorta remember your impressions of PSVR, but I haven't paid attention to it too closely because I don't have a PS4 and probably won't even think about getting one 'til that NEO revision's out. The PSVR games are gonna need the boost, and while I would...
 You're right - I like to be on the bleeding edge, at least as much as my wallet permits. That alone is a limiting factor for actually staying on the bleeding edge, but it gives me something to save up for, at least. And even if it's certainly not bleeding edge hardware by today's standards, it's all too easy to take my i7-4770K/GTX 980 system for granted, which has the power to run these things smoothly in the first place. I do like convenience, though. It's partly why...
Anyone here in the market for a vintage Stax Lambda setup, perchance? I don't want VR to die off. That puts us at odds. Here's the thing: I've been waiting decades for it to get to this point since the day someone put a Forte VFX1 on my head to play Quake. It's the best damn thing for vehicle simulators of any kind. Nothing puts you in the cockpit quite like VR; TrackIR doesn't even come close. Everything has depth, everything has scale, and your head-tracking doesn't have...