or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

Not really, since most displays and their interfaces (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort) have gone digital for over a decade. Analog video only really pertains to CRTs, since instead of a digital fixed grid, they scan electron beams over a phosphor surface according to the video signal they're fed, as long as it's within the yoke's sync limits. Because of that, the other direction - videophile ADCs - are more of a thing - mostly upscalers like the Micomsoft XRGB-Mini Framemeister...
 Well, when you have FD Trinitrons in the 21" to 24" range that were top-of-the-line professional graphics monitors in their day acquired for rather low prices, it tends to spoil you rotten. No input lag, perfect viewing angles, black levels that are BLACK, high refresh rates, no native resolutions for when you still like to fire up the classics... these things wipe the floor with LCDs and I'm just waiting for OLED monitors to become more widespread. My only issue is that...
 I've had my day-one Rift CV1 pre-order for about two months, actually. It was pretty much what I expected, so I'm satisfied with what I've got since there aren't any blatant manufacturing defects impeding my use of it. I sorta remember your impressions of PSVR, but I haven't paid attention to it too closely because I don't have a PS4 and probably won't even think about getting one 'til that NEO revision's out. The PSVR games are gonna need the boost, and while I would...
 You're right - I like to be on the bleeding edge, at least as much as my wallet permits. That alone is a limiting factor for actually staying on the bleeding edge, but it gives me something to save up for, at least. And even if it's certainly not bleeding edge hardware by today's standards, it's all too easy to take my i7-4770K/GTX 980 system for granted, which has the power to run these things smoothly in the first place. I do like convenience, though. It's partly why...
Anyone here in the market for a vintage Stax Lambda setup, perchance? I don't want VR to die off. That puts us at odds. Here's the thing: I've been waiting decades for it to get to this point since the day someone put a Forte VFX1 on my head to play Quake. It's the best damn thing for vehicle simulators of any kind. Nothing puts you in the cockpit quite like VR; TrackIR doesn't even come close. Everything has depth, everything has scale, and your head-tracking doesn't have...
 I went from stock to a Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer to custom water (XSPC Raystorm full copper, D5 pump, HW Labs Black Ice GTX 360) on that Q6600. The Core-Contact Freezer happened to be my choice for a big tower HSF since it reviewed well and was a heck of a lot cheaper than the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, but the mounting system is a PITA for Intel CPUs because of the mounting bracket basically converting the LGA775 mount to an AMD one - and using fragile...
 I upgrade when it's financially practical to do so. Changing graphics cards like underwear as some can afford to do (980 Ti/Titan X -> 1080 -> 1080 Ti/equivalent Titan, for instance) is just not an option for me. That means I skip several generations in the process. Last time, with my Q6600 box, it was the 8800 GT -> GTX 480 -> emergency GTX 760 purchase because I stupidly killed my 480 pushing too many volts through it and stressing simply because I strapped a waterblock...
Honestly, I feel like once the soundstage is there, the competitive/immersive balance can be nicely tuned with a little EQ. Don't be afraid to use it; it'll save you from having to swap out headphones all the time.   If anything, I need to downsize my headphone collection. The PC360 is just good enough for most of my typical computer use that I don't need most of my fancier sets around.   Also, on a different gaming-related note, is it just me, or is the revised Xbox...
 In all fairness, DCS is the sort of sim where I have trouble spotting planes in the distance on a conventional monitor if the model enlargement/visibility feature is turned off! But with it turned on, I managed to actually keep track of the Fw-190 I was tangling with for a few quick one-on-one dogfights. I still need to test more modern aircraft that are more likely to engage BVR at first. A friend of mine's actually had a few choice posts about aircraft visibility in...
  It's about time my day-one preorder got fulfilled! And I gotta say, it falls pleasantly in line with my expectations.   It works. No screen problems or "No HDMI detected" errors, everything looks fine, chromatic aberration is considerably reduced at the cost of those light shafts/"god rays" that come with Fresnel lenses, and the built-in headphones nearly blew my ears out at default volume. You might want to turn it down when setting it up!   And for that matter,...