or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

At least the MA900 doesn't irritate my ears (pinnae if we're being pedantic) where they touch, probably due to the soft padding over the drivers.   That's more than I can say for a few other cans. SR-Gamma without replacement padding in the cups? NEVER AGAIN.
Makes me wonder how long they'll keep going with these drops before the K7XX is no more...it would be a shame considering the value it brings to the table.   In the meantime, if anyone doesn't want to wait for the next drop, shoot me an offer.
Sadly, receivers haven't had honest-to-goodness Dolby Headphone for a few generations.   But looking up the Onkyo TX-NR636 quickly reveals that it's one of the recent Dolby Atmos-enabled receivers, which makes me wonder how it'll handle Atmos content mixing through the headphone-out. Time to flip through the manual- "If you selected any other listening mode than Pure Audio (European, Australian and Asian models), Stereo, Mono and Direct, connecting headphones will...
This K7XX served as my desktop set for a while, and it's a good, comfortable set. No defective drivers of the sort the early K7XXs had here and there with "helicopter noise" and all that, it works like I'd expect.   Everything I got with it is included, cable, documentation, even the original Massdrop shipping box, and it's still about like new save for bits of dust here and there.   I'm just selling it because I need to thin out my headphone collection a bit. Don't...
 Neck pain? Reminds me of how I nailed the deal on my first "beater" Stax Lambda set years ago; the owner had a neck injury that made even light headphones like those painful to wear after a while. It's definitely tricky business to try these things out without buying them outright first, that's for sure. It's how Head-Fi effectively kills my wallet.I could repair some of the financial damage, but I'd have to line up buyers for my own K7XX and MA900 first, which isn't...
Deciding between the K7XX and MA900 on comfort, of all things?   Neither one's going to disappoint, that's for sure. (Seriously, we're talking comfort kings here when it comes to readily-available headphones that don't require special amps.) The MA900 might be a tad lighter, but the earcups are smaller. Still big enough for me, but your head and ear size could still swing things in favor of one of them.   Sound signature would probably be the real deciding factor in...
 It takes a second or two for the volume to pick up, depending on how much signal the SRD-7/SB gets fed with. That's presumably to charge up the bias supply with the input current, because the AC-powered SRD-6 doesn't do that. I'm not sure why I don't need a speaker amp for this, but this I do know: PCIe X-Fi cards get loud on Headphone mode, and I mean REALLY loud to the point where I can't even set the volume above 10% with sensitive headphones before I risk deafening...
 I can't say I'm in the position to answer that, given that the only standalone Stax amps I've had at any point were the SRM-212 and SRM-T1. Indeed, half the reason I picked out an older amp like the T1 was the Normal bias output for my original Lambda sets while still having Pro bias for the newer stuff; an SRM-1/Mk2 would've also done nicely, but I didn't find one of those for a price I would accept at the time. The SRM-212 just happened to be bundled with an...
Okay, so I'm not sure why I didn't think of this earlier, but I decided to connect the speaker taps on my SRD-6 to some RCA jacks and have it directly driven by my X-Fi Titanium HD, figuring that I could get this ailing A/V receiver off my desk and still have an audible signal, since it's not a self-biasing unit like my SRD-7/SB and I didn't even have to turn up the receiver that much just to get loud volumes out of the Lambda.   It actually works, and with no obvious...
For all the talk of Lambdas having a small soundstage, I never really believed it. They come across as pretty spacious to me, both side-to-side and front-to-back...if the source can bring it out.   There's a reason I flip on some kind of virtual surround when gaming, after all. Source mix is everything when it comes to imaging.   As for the HE-400, my memories of Mad Lust Envy's set with the velours were that they had a reasonable soundstage, were surprisingly light on...