Posts by NamelessPFG

FWIW, I heard no rattle on my set (#604, if it matters) doing that test last night at both my usual listening volume and even TWICE my usual listening volume to really exaggerate that bass. Granted, I only used about 10% and 20% respectively direct out of the X-Fi Titanium HD, and for those of you who don't have that sound card, I should note it gets ridiculously LOUD at low volumes with headphones, hence the low percentages. I don't have an SPL meter on hand, so I can't...
Got my K7XX set (#604) a few hours ago! First impressions are pretty much that it has what I liked about the K612 and K712 I auditioned a while back. Supremely comfortable, a sound signature that doesn't put me off, spacious soundstage for gaming, and it actually doesn't sound half bad driven directly from my X-Fi Titanium HD!   I'd say this set's a keeper. Just need one of those AKG mini-DIN -> BoomPro adapters I've heard about, and I could have a cleaner headset setup...
Finally got my K7XX a moment ago, #604!   First impressions are that it delivers what I recall liking about the K612 and K712 from before. Comfort, pleasing sound signature and soundstage, still sounds pretty good directly driven from the X-Fi Titanium HD - definitely a keeper.   Now if I could just get my hands on one of those BoomPro adapters and a BoomPro mic to match, just for something a little more elegant in the cord department than the stock cord and the ModMic...
I think what he really means by a binaural signal is a stereo PCM signal that's been pre-mixed with virtual surround and other DSP effects before the sound card bitstreams it to an external DAC. Any decent sound card should be able to pull that off, so it's more of a matter of preference in virtual surround tech.
Well, looks like I'm getting my K7XX on Monday if UPS is to be believed.   I'll just have to figure out what to do with the existing MA900 after that arrives.
If you ask me, you're already using the best, at least from a pure positional/competitive standpoint.   Granted, I think I may have heard better virtual surround techs before, but Aureal A3D's been dead for a decade and a half and very few games utilize GenAudio's AstoundSound. CMSS-3D Headphone's still the most practical for me just because of the wide compatibility.   THX TSP/SBX Pro Surround is noticeably bassier, possibly more natural-sounding, but I find the...
 FD Trinitrons and Diamondtron NFs are where it's at, especially the 21" and up ones...provided that you find one that's in working order.Sony manufacturing quality must've taken a hit around that time, since I still see a lot of functioning old shadow mask CRTs of various sorts and a lot of the G1 and G1W Trinitron chassis monitors wind up having some sort of serious color balance or flyback transformer issue years down the road. Might as well mention the three I've...
 I'm not fond of HDMI myself, other than the convenience factor of having a single relatively small cable for video AND audio. In fact, the only reasons for me to think about it all involve consoles. Doubly so in the Wii U's case since it's the only way to get surround sound out of it, but there aren't any compact Dolby Headphone or whatever processors with an HDMI passthrough. Go figure. It's also a more convenient connection for hooking up my notebook to my desktop's...
Well, crap. My GDM-FW900's more or less dead now. I think the flyback transformer finally called it quits, and now I have to find someone who can repair these monitors properly. So much for owning the best gaming monitor in existence.   At least my GDM-5410's still in working order. I figured out how to properly remove the back cover so I can access the ECS port on the back and run WinDAS, lowered the G2 so I can finally have some actual black levels on this thing, and...
I admit, I'm still alive, but I just haven't had much reason to come back here since I have just about everything I could ask for when it comes to audio...save for another SR-Lambda and SRM-T1, but that'll have to wait 'til I've got a more stable financial foundation. The K7XX gave me a reason to came back. I'm hoping it lives up to what I remember of the K612 and K712. Other than that, I'm more likely to talk displays at the moment, especially since my GDM-FW900 is now...