or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

Tell me about it. There's a reason I have a retrogaming setup with three sound cards in it, all with certain specific features that games use that the rest don't have and which aren't emulated at all with current software. And even when you get into the A3D/EAX age, things are still complex because now you get to worry about how different driver versions make particular games sound on top of having the right chipset in your card; for instance, A3D 2.0 with wavetracing...
If you think this is early adopter stuff, try getting into '90s VR with something like a VFX1, which was also tied to an ISA card that also relied on a VESA feature connector for graphics passthrough. No 3dfx for you!   Today's Rift and Vive are easy mode by comparison, not to mention clearly two decades more advanced and with the benefit of having software designed specifically for their use, as opposed to, say, slapping stereo 3D and head-tracker support into an...
Well now, everyone's talking about No Man's Sky today, and the general verdict is "biggest case of hype backlash since Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever", with serious technical issues on the PC version not helping in the slightest.   A lot of it boils down to people saying it has even less depth than Elite: Dangerous, which already gets enough complaints for having a vast world with no depth. Someone already likened NMS to "the world's biggest kiddie pool", heh. I also...
I've been gaming on both for as long as I remember: consoles with an NES, SNES and Magnavox Odyssey2 to start out with, PC back in the DOS days on my father's machine.   This was when Windows 3.1 was the latest thing and you still had to remember your address/IRQ/DMA settings so each and every game you played would have sound. In certain cases, you'd even have to start fiddling around with freeing up "conventional memory" under the 640K barrier just to get a game to...
 Are those the Alcantara pads I've heard so much about? That might be something to add to my list whenever I get around to fixing up the MMX 300 with a replacement driver. Tempting, I admit, but not a big enough step up from my GTX 980 to warrant the money spent. Still a good deal if you need one of the fastest cards to still have VGA output support, though. Also note that these sales are pretty good for PSUs as well if you're doing a whole new build or need some more...
 I'd never even considered it because it's a wireless gaming headset - a deadly combination around these parts for people who want to use their audiophile-grade headphones. It doesn't even have a typical headphone jack on the DSP/transceiver box, so it only works with the headset. Here's hoping we see more options soon that close the gap between the typical S/PDIF-only devices and the new Realiser A16.
The implication was that licensing out SVS would require the PRIR and head-tracking to be implemented into the AVR in the first place, otherwise it's just not SVS for the very reasons you mentioned. I mean, think about it: the only people likely to have access to a decent surround sound speaker system to make a good PRIR with are those who'd pay good money for an AVR and the speakers connected to it, and many higher-end setups already support a microphone for channel level...
Even more awesome... and still way, way out of my budget. I just wish Smyth Research would actually manage to license the SVS tech out to all those AVR manufacturers, where it would make the most sense to integrate. They'd have economies of scale going for them at that point.
Please, let's not start an argument in here and derail the whole thread in the process. People do get the wrong idea from recent posts; even I fall victim to that now and then.   The whole point's to share the joys of Stax, even (and especially) the stuff that won't completely deflate your wallet. Sometimes people have to pass it on for one reason or another.
Well, if everyone's shamelessly plugging their Stax listings here, I might as well do the same. http://www.head-fi.org/t/815332/fs-stax-sr-lambda-normal-bias-srd-6-srd-7-sb   I just want this stuff to go to someone who'll give it a good listen, hopefully soon.