Posts by NamelessPFG

I won't lie, the engine has its quirks. Physics on moving ships is a bit janky, early patches easily had you dying of fall damage just walking down the hillsides of Wake Island, so on and so forth... And, yes, some of the maps are horribly, horribly unbalanced. The obligatory Omaha Beach is one of them, as you'd expect, but Tobruk was another annoying case for the British side because there's nothing stopping a German player from running around the front lines and capping...
Why didn't I learn about this sooner?   http://forum.bf1942.sk/gamespy   The server list isn't as populated as it used to be, which does not surprise me in the least, but the important thing is that IT WORKS. BF1942 LIVES ON.   Until now, I thought all the post-GameSpy salvaging projects were focused on BF2 more than anything.
 While also falling way short of their price tags, to boot. The GTX 970 just became the single biggest bang-for-the-buck card overnight after its release. I bet everyone who bought a GTX 770 at around the $320 mark is thoroughly kicking themselves now, unless they bought EVGA within the last three months. In other news, I spectated a few BF4 matches on one 64-player server; if the first-person views were anything to go by, hit detection's still pretty janky. I'm talking...
I haven't bought any new PC components lately, even as tempting as the GTX 970 is right now, so there's not much for me to discuss in here.   Not unless someone in here actually cares about me rewiring old HOTAS controls to modern USB controllers, anyway. That's the sorta talk I reserve for SimHQ and the Star Citizen forums, because people would actually care about that sorta stuff there.   I guess I could talk about how the $12.74 Battlefield 4 sale on GameFly even...
 CMSS-3D Headphone tends to emphasize treble and dial down bass a bit. Dolby Headphone does the opposite. That might explain some of it. While the sound quality degradation is not lost on me, the positioning is what I prioritize, and thus far, the only thing that's even comparable to my ears for pinpoint positioning, enough to give me that "your head's in the game!" sensation, is Aureal A3D on a Vortex-chipset card set to headphone mode. This is, of course, assuming native...
(Oh god, that image quality looks awful. That's the last time I upload directly from a smartphone!) The TM HOTAS Warthog throttle there isn't the new purchase in question, I've had that for a while now. But as good as of a product as it is, it's still nothing compared to some genuine mil-spec hardware. I just need to wire that surplus A-10 throttle to a USB joystick board, build an enclosure for it, and I'm good to go.
I wish I could name some myself, but even I can't think of a single one.   Battlefield 3/4/Hardline Enhanced Stereo Mode needs more verification, and anything that uses AstoundSound is inherently disqualified if the enhanced audio has no CPU fallback without an AMD TrueAudio card.   That may change as this plugin takes off for Unity-based games:   http://realspace3daudio.com/   I'm actually kinda astounded that binaural audio is only now making something of a...
 I know about the Microsoft study results on that all too well. They could easily level the playing field by actually taking advantage of the fact that modern consoles have USB ports. Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament and Half-Life all had console ports (mainly Dreamcast and PS2) back in the day. Guess what they all had in common? That's right - native KB+M support. But now we live in an age where consoles support KB+M for interface use, but they don't bother implementing...
The only Battlefield I'd play on console is Bad Company 1, and that's only because they never released a PC version.   Cross-platform multiplayer should really be more of a standard feature so communities aren't segregated like this.
GameFly's selling the basic PC version for $12.74 with the SEP15OFF coupon code.   So yeah, I pulled the trigger. Not that I feel like playing these sorta games without friends to back me up...