or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

Any open-back headphone sounds noticeably different when you cover the earcups, but it probably affects planar drivers more (both electromagnetic and electrostatic varieties) because of their even dipole dispersion, with the back wave being reflected back by your hand obstructing the rear. It's one of the reasons why placement relative to the back wall is so critical with planar/electrostatic loudspeakers, according to those who use them, and I'd imagine smaller headphone...
There's a fan translation patch for Vesperia now? Well, guess that gives me reason to get a second PS3 and flash some CFW onto it, then! (Or, if I'm rich, buy a DECR-1000 devkit for about $1,000.) Not gonna risk it with my primary PS3, though.   In the meantime, I really need to get cracking on Resonance of Fate again. Picked it up for $5 during a prior flash sale, already watched a friend stream it way back, and I'll probably like it a lot now that I'm used to the...
 I believe the reason that built-in volume controls are something of a rarity is that more often than not, they're usually a little potentiometer/rheostat that just adds more resistance to the signal to attenuate it more, and they tend to be cheap, crappy little ones with balance issues. You're usually better off adjusting the volume at the source most of the time. But of course, going through system settings to get to the volume controls (or reaching for the amp's volume...
 It'd be foolish for the game developer to not downmix the 8-channel sounds into a 2-channel format when some form of 2-channel output is selected, because if they outright axed the extra channels, the missing sounds would be pretty obvious. However, the simple fact is that now you have all those sounds being squeezed into two spatial locations rather than seven. That's a lot of loss of directionality right there with how most games mix their audio, especially console...
 Dolby Pro Logic employs phase-shifting within the two discrete channels to add the rear channels. Center channel's just the common parts of left and right. A proper decoder will pick up the intentionally out-of-phase parts of the signal and put them in the right places, while leaving them out of the other channels. It's inherently more susceptible to crosstalk between the matrixed channels than a discrete channel format, but it works in a pinch. That means the signal has...
 NOPE. That's pointless when the DSP only gets two channels worth of spatial information to begin with. The only time that even remotely works is if the two channels are actually a Dolby Pro Logic (II)-encoded signal being run through a proper decoder to separate all the matrixed 5.1 channels, and the Creative cards don't serve as decoders. Even then, the only console that even bothers with Pro Logic II through S/PDIF is the PS2, since it couldn't encode Dolby Digital...
 The solution on PC, if you can't use an internal sound card, is a USB device with virtual surround of some sort, like the Recon3D USB, X7 (though USB, NOT optical/Toslink), or one of the assorted USB Xonars if you're more into Dolby Headphone. Just DON'T use a plain stereo audiophile USB DAC for this. HDMI's only a concern for consoles right now, and believe me, I wish there was a Mixamp-size HDMI processor for the sake of my Wii U (which doesn't have an S/PDIF output and...
So I'm just looking through Steam again and-   TALES OF ZESTIRIA, OF ALL THE THINGS!? With a free copy of Symphonia if enough people pre-order?   I gotta say, I'm not used to seeing major JRPG releases make their way to PC like this. It's a first for the Tales franchise, at any rate.   Let's just hope it's not an awful port now. Makes me wonder which version MLE's gonna pick up.
 There's only so much they can do about nausea with the headset design itself; the burden of avoiding nauseating experiences lies largely on the software developers to follow VR best practices, something that Oculus has spent considerable time writing documents on, and also something that Google's had a hand in through the Cardboard Design Lab app. Consistent framerates and low latency are part of it; I generally don't suffer from motion sickness and could play Descent all...
Sound card choice is largely based on what virtual surround tech suits you best, since they all bear competent DACs nowadays.   For a start, you might want to try installing modded Realtek drivers with the X-Fi MB3 software to try out at first. X-Fi MB3 sets itself up as a virtual audio device and has the SBX Pro Studio features present in their current Z-series cards.   The more important choice boils down to your headphones, really. $300 is plenty, possibly more than...