Posts by NamelessPFG

No sound cards decode Dolby Digital or DTS on their S/PDIF inputs, to my knowledge. Certainly not any PCIe ones. If they get anything other than PCM on those inputs, all you'll hear is silence. Believe me, people have tried, even resorting to AC3Filter and other utilities. It either doesn't work or has such a hideous amount of latency that it's unsuitable for gaming. Right now, you just can't replace a Mixamp sort of device using a PC. It's probably that neither Dolby nor...
 I'll be blunt and say that the Clears are what the Browns should've been. The former is tactile; the latter is practically linear, and I don't like linear. Haven't tried ergo-Clears yet, but stock Clears make my fave non-buckling-spring switch thus far.
For all the talk this TAC thing gets, an HDMI input/video passthrough would be nice.   Also, we're making an awful lot of assumptions about its performance and DTS Headphone:X's performance in particular. While I'd like to test it out myself, I can't rule out the possibility that it might actually end up being worse.
Usually, if you see sound quality and channel adjustments in a recent game, that's fmod EX software mixing at work. The X-Fi DSP has a total polyphony of 128 channels in hardware, but that only matters if it's the DSP doing the mixing like in the old days and not the CPU. As for the topic question, a USB DAC is still disadvantaged not just in lacking anything like ALchemy for older games, but also not offering virtual surround mixing for headphones. Software-mixed games...
$100+ gamepads that are just custom-modified versions of official first-party gamepads? No thanks.   If anything, $60 for a new gamepad is expensive enough as is. The price really adds up when you want to have some local multiplayer.
Whoops, forgot about this post:  I didn't immediately notice any when messing around with a Samsung 2233rz that the local Micro Center had on display a few years back, unless you're counting the usual TN flaws. That said, there's no way I'd trade my Sony GDM-FW900 for any 120 Hz LCD on the market right now. 1920x1080 at 100-105 Hz is still plenty adequate, and with far better image quality to boot.
Fair enough, but don't go saying that "real games" don't have CPU bottlenecks. Then again, calling DCS a "game" would probably piss off the community. It's a hardcore flight sim through and through, unless you're using a Flaming Cliffs-level aircraft (simplified controls and systems) or Combined Arms. That's the rivet counters for you... Anyway, if some of my preferred titles weren't so CPU-intensive, I wouldn't have the itch to overclock the hell outta Haswell. I just...
 Fire up PlanetSide 2 or DCS World and tell me they're not largely CPU-bottlenecked with a straight face... Then again, maybe the former's much more optimized compared to the last time I played. Who knows...
Well, guess that means you're about to horribly, grisly murder, oh, I don't know, a whopping 90% minimum of the Star Citizen community on the use of that one term. "PU" for "Persistent Universe" makes for a horrible-sounding initialism.   Between CH and Saitek? CH every time, if you can afford both. Like I keep saying, it's not too uncommon to find Fighterstick/Pro Throttle/Pro Pedals setups for well under $200 shipped, if you don't mind buying used. I even saw a set...
Oh, okay. Note that there's another "Nameless" in the Star Citizen community, no relation; that's why I append random letters to distinguish myself from all the other Namelesses on the Internet. There are a surprising amount, trust me. Most of my posts in the forums are in the Hardware section; I rarely venture outside there. I should note, I built my new computer last year in anticipation of Arena Commander's release more than anything! My Super Hornet and...