or Connect

Posts by NamelessPFG

I upgrade when it's financially practical to do so. Changing graphics cards like underwear as some can afford to do (980 Ti/Titan X -> 1080 -> 1080 Ti/equivalent Titan, for instance) is just not an option for me. That means I skip several generations in the process. Last time, with my Q6600 box, it was the 8800 GT -> GTX 480 -> emergency GTX 760 purchase because I stupidly killed my 480 pushing too many volts through it and stressing simply because I strapped a waterblock...
Honestly, I feel like once the soundstage is there, the competitive/immersive balance can be nicely tuned with a little EQ. Don't be afraid to use it; it'll save you from having to swap out headphones all the time.   If anything, I need to downsize my headphone collection. The PC360 is just good enough for most of my typical computer use that I don't need most of my fancier sets around.   Also, on a different gaming-related note, is it just me, or is the revised Xbox...
 In all fairness, DCS is the sort of sim where I have trouble spotting planes in the distance on a conventional monitor if the model enlargement/visibility feature is turned off! But with it turned on, I managed to actually keep track of the Fw-190 I was tangling with for a few quick one-on-one dogfights. I still need to test more modern aircraft that are more likely to engage BVR at first. A friend of mine's actually had a few choice posts about aircraft visibility in...
  It's about time my day-one preorder got fulfilled! And I gotta say, it falls pleasantly in line with my expectations.   It works. No screen problems or "No HDMI detected" errors, everything looks fine, chromatic aberration is considerably reduced at the cost of those light shafts/"god rays" that come with Fresnel lenses, and the built-in headphones nearly blew my ears out at default volume. You might want to turn it down when setting it up!   And for that matter,...
I don't like Logitech's present-day styling all that much, but Zowie mice don't have enough buttons (in all seriousness, even the G502 doesn't have enough) and Logitech has a better scroll wheel on the G502. Solid thunk with every notch, and free-scrolling mode is nice to have for general use.   Then again, the G502's weight never bothered me. It's definitely heftier than the ol' Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical, though.   I think my ideal mouse would more or less be the...
 And it's even a headphone stand!? That thing has WANT written all over! Smyth Research sure knows their target market! ...except for the price. $1500? Ow, my wallet... and that's not even taking into account how I don't know of a good Atmos theater system to have a PRIR recorded at, which is bound to cost even more money.  The MMX 300 is a great headset, both in terms of sound and mic quality. Don't let the closed back fool you - it's pretty adept at positional cues with...
http://www.techpowerup.com/222326/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-does-away-with-d-sub-vga-support   Well, crap. I knew it was gonna happen eventually, but this means the 980 Ti and Titan X are now the highest-end cards that retain VGA and a built-in RAMDAC. Guess the FW900 faithful are gonna have to invest in HDFury adapters now.   I suppose that by the time I actually have to replace my GTX 980 for performance reasons come Volta or the gen after, 2560x1440 144+ Hz G-SYNC...
 You'd better believe it! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_T220/T221_LCD_monitors A lot of technology advancements are much older than most people think; it just takes several years for things to become affordable and mass-produced. I mean, it's only fairly recently that we've had 4K 60 Hz without any tiling tricks (read: multiple logical monitors comprising the actual display, each driven by a different video port). Now if I could just afford a nice PG279Q... alas, I'm...
 Funny thing is, I've been hoping for something similar for over a decade, considering we had an old HDTV obsoleted by its lack of HDMI (it's an old rear-projection CRT set). There's also the IBM T220/T221 - a line of 22.1" monitors with 3840x2400 resolution in 2001! Unfortunately, the DVI interfaces of the day weren't up to snuff and had to drive it in a tiled fashion. That panel would've really benefited from the modern DisplayPort interface and all its bandwidth. And...
Wow, that's pretty crap, and then I think back to how our E420i-A0 has no firmware updates and is stupidly crippled at 60 Hz input despite allegedly being a 120 Hz set.   I always considered modern HDTVs with all their processing to be pretty awful for motion processing anyway. Gotta get a proper computer monitor if you can live with the smaller size; at least there, the refresh rates are real, and you can even get G-SYNC or FreeSync nowadays if your wallet...