Posts by Justinicus

I'm a mid-fi guy myself, but I own an E7-E9 combo, and a Behringer UCA-202 (bought on recommendation from NwAvGuy's blog, the notorious champion of accuracy and objectivity). If I were on a tight budget and didn't need an amp, I would DEFINITELY get the Behringer. $30 on Amazon. Its headphone amp kinda sucks, but its line-out is pretty darned good. It's not pretty, and looks out of place in a hi-fi setup, but if you're as worried about appearances as you are about sound, I...
The E17 is still in pre-order and it's ALREADY back-ordered!  MP4Nation is taking pre-orders for what I have to assume is a second production run, since their first run pre-orders sold out.  I was interested in the E17 too, but I'm more interested in something I can actually obtain!      
I'm in a similar situation.  I have FA-011s at the office, and I've been running them off of a Behringer DAC and Bravo V2 eBay special.  One of the two (pretty sure it's the amp) started crapping out yesterday, so I find myself shopping again.  I use an E7/E9 combo at home (with Beyer 990 Pro 250 ohms) very happily.  I brought the E7 into work today and rediscovered how much I was missing with my office combo.   I can't compare any of your mentioned devices, but I can...
Depends on what you're looking for.  If you want clarity and positioning, the AD700s are pretty good.  I personally think they have abysmal bass and fit though, and had to do unspeakable things to them to get them to stay on my melon.  However, the price is right, and they're pretty easy to drive.   Try this thread -- it's where I learned just about everything I know about headphone gaming. Mad Lust Envy aka Shin CZ's Guide To Headphone Gaming (particularly with Dolby...
So there's something I haven't been able to figure out (most likely due to limited experience).  I get that open means the back side of the driver is open to the surrounding air and closed is the opposite.  But what about the front side of the driver?   I own a pair of Fischer FA-011s, which are sometimes described as "semi-open." The backs are wide open, but the inside seems to still be sealed off from the surrounding air.  That is to say, when I'm wearing them, air...
I own both the Beyer DT990 Pros and the Fischer FA-011s.  As stated earlier, I find them very similar.  I got my Beyers for about $170 at Amazon, and I'm not sure they're worth the $40 (almost 30%) more that I paid compared to the FA-011s ($138, both shipped prices).
Haha, that's what I think every time I see the CanJam @ RMAF logo.      
My pleasure and I'm glad you like them!   I haven't been doing much gaming the last few weeks, and what I have has mostly been through my 5.1 system since I haven't been playing late very often.  I brought the DT990 Pros back home -- the coiled cord was catching my arm-hair too much at the office!  I'll probably re-cable them eventually, but the way my home setup is laid out (amp slightly behind my left shoulder) it doesn't bother me like at the office (45 degrees to...
That's usually my problem with closed headphones.  I don't know much about this whole open can thing -- the FA-011s were my first, and it surprised me to find that it just meant "open-backed."  That the ear side of the cup is pretty well sealed.  Might not hold water, but it noticeably muffled ambient noise, and I didn't feel air from my fan moving against my ears anymore.  My second pair, the DT990 Pros, are the same way.  This concerned me at first because most closed...
Quote:   I say don't bother.  If you cared about pens, you'd already know it.  You pick up a good pen and put down a line on paper, and it just FEELS good.  Needle pens can make nice crisp lines, but I've never found one that FELT good.  Then there's the feel of the pen in your hand... some of us love a good heft.  Some of us love the ritual of refilling a fountain pen, or finding the perfect ink.   If you're happy with your cheap-os, save your money! You'll need it for...