Posts by TheOak

I prefer both at the same time.  I listen mostly in my office where I can sit for hours on end switching back between my Grado SR225is and Boston Acoustic CR75s when my ears get tired of listening to one or the other.  Usually I'll find myself listening to speakers and craving the intimate experience or screaming mids of the Grados.  Othertimes I'll listen to the Grados and want the expansive soundstage and physical presence of the speakers.  When I want both I just...
Did taping the bowls solve your problem?  I'm picking up a pair of SR225i phones tomorrow so your post caught my eye.  I use an old JVC amp with a pair of Boston Acoustics in my office and regularly plug in headphones.  There's nothing like a good old 2-channel amp for pure musical enjoyment.   When was the last time you cleaned your Technics?  As I recall, that model is no spring chicken.  My amp is 20 years old and gets a cleaning every few years.  Does the rattling...
That's all good advice.  Thanks for the valuable input!  I'll review those options with my buddy.    I think the biggest help would be the Deluxe Monitor case from Westone that lootbag suggested.  It looks like a crush-proof dry box with a desiccant and cleaning kit.  For $25, I bet that would be the best investment to use with any IEM at sea.
I have a friend who works on fishing boats and resupply vessels and spends most of the year at sea.  His next trip is a 4 month resupply trip across the Pacific from Taiwan to Peru to the Marshall Islands.  He has a large collection of digital movies, TV shows, and music that he listens to on his down time.  I suggested he upgrade his ear buds to good quality cans, but he complains that he has to replace his ear buds after every trip since the salt air seems to damage...