Posts by thrillhaus

There is a huge difference between my laptop's onboard audio, and my desktop onboard. Between my desktop onboard and my X-Fi Titanium HD or Xonar DG it's a smaller difference. The main reason to buy the sound card is for the 3d sound processing capabilities.
Yeah after switching to CMSS-3D, it bothers me now when a game uses its own sound engine that force 7.1 downmixing. It's just not the same.Yes, but we're talking about games here, not music. The audio files in games are compressed to begin with, and I don't place the same hifi requirements on explosions and gunfire that I do with music. I simply EQ a bit to compensate for the CMSS's altered sound signature, and for a game, it's good enough. This isn't a fatal flaw. A fatal...
While this post has been extremely useful for myself and others, I think the OP needs to be more neutral about recommending Dolby Headphone. As much as I resent Creative for pushing 3d sound back a decade with their underhanded tactics, I have to admit after first using Dolby Headphone extensively, then trying CMSS-3D out of curiousity, there's no contest that CMSS-3D is superior at positional accuracy in all degrees of freedom. Dolby Headphone merely downmixes 5.1/7.1...
Why is this blog dick riding these headphones so hard when they haven't even heard them?
bump
Looking to take a set of wood cups off anyone who might have upgraded their Denons to custom cups. I'm located in Canada. Thanks.
Can those of you who have experimented with different stages of this mod give me advice on which steps to take and which to avoid for the following criteria in order of importance:   1. Preserve (or slightly enhance) mid-range 2. Preserve or enhance size of soundstage (almost as important as #1) 3. Attenuate/tighten bass   I've read for example, that stuffing the earpads will increase the soundstage, but can reduce the mids, so that might be a no-no. I've also...
I have a friend with the AKG K702. I didn't have much to compare to last time I demo'd them, and the setup was far from ideal, but I plan to take another listen and see how the soundstage matches up to the open D2k. The great thing about the open D2k is that the soundstage is opened up in all directions, including forward depth, such that the use of a crossfeed plugin is not necessary.  
JerryC is awesome. Thanks for reminding me to check up on him.  
Both your system seem like they would reveal the distortion if it were intrinsic to the recording. Adda, if I'm correct, your system is entirely external except for the source? Maybe the difference is in something less obvious within the computer?