Posts by Atriya

I know. It's just there are reports that the Wyrd somehow improves soundstage and seperation and a host of other things. I'm just making sure it's only purpose is fixing USB noise and power issues, and if there isn't any USB noise, it does nothing at all (that is audible).
I plugged in an IEM, and could clearly hear some noise. However this noise remained the same when the USB was disconnected, and further remained the same when the Modi was disconnected. Hence, it must be coming from the Vali, with the Modi and USB apparently contributing no noise at all!
I plugged in an IEM, and could clearly hear some noise. However this noise remained the same when the USB was disconnected, and further remained the same when the Modi was disconnected. Hence, it must be coming from the Vali, with the Modi and USB apparently contributing no noise at all!
I was looking at the Schiit Wyrd, and how it cleans up noisy USB connections. And so I asked myself - am I getting USB noise?   I set this up -   24/96 WAV of silence -> MacBook Pro Late 2013 -> iTunes with BitPerfect -> Schiit PYST USB cable -> Schiit Modi -> Schiit PYST RCA cables -> Schiit Vali at maximum volume -> AKG 551.   Rather to my surprise, I heard absolutely no noise at all. I turned down ambient noise till I could hear my own heartbeat, and yet I heard...
Sold!
For sale is a Schiit Modi, used sparingly and lovingly for ~2 years. Perfect condition; no blemishes.   Price is $50 + shipping.
After a bit of research I went ahead and ordered the K545 - thanks!
Thanks a lot.   That doesn't talk about the maximum input power difference or sensitivity though.   Overall, I gather that the K545 has both advantages (bass) and disadvantages (soundstage) over the K551, which makes my decision even more difficult.
I'm not totally new to headphones - I own a HE-400, which I use with Schiit Modi + Vali.   I'm looking to buy my second headphone, and it will be an AKG - I'm considering the K551 and K545. I'm aware that the K545 is more portable than the K551. I would prefer a portable headphone, but only if portability does not come at the expense of sound quality. I'm very confused about whether the K551 sound better than the K545, and searching seems to show up conflicting...
subant05, I would recommend trying the Vali. I have listened to it now (not completely broken in though), and it does sound warmer and better tonally than the Magni to me.