Posts by wakibaki

Some of that is flux, but some of it, it's not possible to be sure from the photo. It could be leakage from a cap. My advice, just leave it alone. Fiddling with it will almost certainly not fix the problems. Concentrate on finding the intermittent contacts in the L & R channels and resoldering them.   You can remove flux with flux cleaner or isopropyl alcohol, but:   1. You need to let the board dry thoroughly afterwards   2. You will probably need to scrub hard with...
 I'd like to see an fft of the recaptured audio. I guess realistically that's a bit much to ask. This is a stress test for a transducer and indeed for the whole system and might reasonably be expected to reveal an assymmetric response, so the fact that you can hear a difference doesn't necessarily mean that much. It could just mean that your system is not transparent in this sense. We understand and accept, of course, that there are limits to the stress that reproducing...
  w
Chances are that the jack has worked its way loose on the PCB due to repeated insertions.   You have to get into the item and examine it at close range to see what exactly is going on. You may be able to simply resolder the jack into the PCB, or you may have to find a replacement if it's a question of the spring contacts having gone soft. They come in numerous shapes and sizes, so identifying one may be a problem. You can even wire in a panel-mount type on extension...
So what does all that stuff do?   It reads the switches, shows the values on the display, updates the Left and Right volume registers in the volume chip and finally goes to sleep when nothing happens for ~20 seconds. Nothing in the way of button presses that is.   If you want to wake the system up, you press the right hand button.   The system has 3 operating modes. You can adjust the left, right or both volumes simultaneously. Righthand button is up, lefthand button...
Here's the C code:-   /*RE2 = SCK*/ /*RE1 = CS*/ /*RE0 = SDI*/ #include #include #include #define DATA_0_ADDR 0 #define DATA_1_ADDR 1 #define DATA_2_ADDR 2 #define DATA_3_ADDR 3 #define DATA_4_ADDR 4 #define DATA_5_ADDR 5 #define DATA_6_ADDR 6 #define DATA_7_ADDR 7 #define AITCH 0b00101001 #define ZERO 0b10001000 #define ONE 0b11101101 #define TWO 0b01001010 #define...
Make sure before you do anything else that this is not just a case of cracked tracking or solder. PCB mounted knobs can be subjected to quite severe mechanical stresses and are a natural focal point for gross breakages. Inspect the PCB where the pot pins are soldered in minute detail, reflow joints as necessary. A jewellers loupe and bright LED torch are a big help. Sometimes flexing a board will reveal hidden cracks, sometimes cracks remain but are undetected until the...
Stuck here:-     I'd really like to get this. I'm 62 years old.   w
The ODAC is a well-specified DAC with a good technical performance for its price, a performance that virtually ensures transparency. Relax. Enjoy your DAC, it's almost certainly indistinguishable from dozens of others, console yourself that you could have spent 10* as much and got one that sounds no different. w
Yes, but:   If you get the circuit working at all it's difficult to *uck it up too much. Then if you've got some testgear you can tune your design. Designing a DAC is not a big trick. Making a very, very cheap one, that's another matter. I mean, be reasonable.   w