Posts by wakibaki

Hi, people, thanks for the concern.   To answer the question about the LT, first I tried wiring it up to AC. This proved a pain to achieve physically, given that I had to contrive a resistive splitter to connect the ground to and get the soldering iron in through the later wiring to get at the valve bases. So I went back to the DC I had originally intended. I changed the cap in the filament supply to 22,000 uF. This improved the ripple by a factor of 10 to under a...
Sorry for the long delay folks, but I have not felt very well for the past few weeks. Immediately following treatment with radioactive iodine I was put on a high dose of beta-blocker. My thyroxine levels then fell very low and the combined effect was that I started to feel very tired all the time, having barely enugh energy to walk the dogs once a day. I recently had a consultation following blood tests and I was recommended to ramp up the amount of thyroxine I am taking...
Sorry I had to take a break from working on this, I had some problems with the LT supply. There have been some other issues with access to tools and things 'cause of other work going on, I just stopped enjoying what I was doing since I felt it was kind of like work, but I wasn't getting paid for it. This is supposed to be recreational for me.   I'm taking a few days to update my website, which is another of my creative outlets, and which I have neglected of...
I remembered why I like solid state so much, I'm terrified of this bloody thing. It's a bit of deja vu, the last time I felt like this was learning to hover a large model heli. You start out thinking 'a nice harmless little hobby' and you end up thinking 'why am I standing 10 feet from a barely-controlled flying chainsaw?' Tube amplifier design - the original extreme sport.   Thanks, Kim, elliottstudio.   Armaegis, are you clairvoyant? How did you know that I...
Quite a few issues there.   You shouldn't really take traces in between chip pins unless it's absolutely necessary. It's commonplace in all-digital designs, but it's a best avoided in audio or mixed-signal. We're really aiming at the very best possible layout from a signal integrity POV when designing for audio, you want to achieve the performance that the chips boast in the datasheets, and it's all too easily thrown away in little increments by poor practise. It's...
Only one tube lit. Swapped them. LT is OK so it's the tube. Have to dig out another one.   w
Avro_Arrow, thanks for the good wishes.   estreeter, thanks for your continued support and positive attitude.   Just sorting out some final issues with the safety ground. Trying to find a suitable star washer to bite into the alu. chassis in my junk.    w
OK, I finished building it. Now I have to work up the nerve to turn it on.   It's 1.30 A.M. I'm going to leave it now until I'm fresh.   w
Sorry, I went downhill again a bit with the chest infection, but should be finished tonight~tomorrow. Had a routine follow-up chest x-ray a couple of days ago tho', still in the clear with the big C.    w
+1 on the jewellers loupe.   The reflow oven:-       No controller required, there's a self timer or you can just peer in the window and turn it off when you see the solder paste change from grey to silver. It has a quartz-tube fire bar above and below. I don't worry about a preheat and cooldown profile. I don't worry very much in general...   I have the advantage of designing the PCBs so I get to make stencils too..   .     These are...