Posts by wakibaki

So.   We could have 4 digits and display values 0-1023 because the PIC is capable of resolving 1024 steps, but it makes things quite a lot simpler and cheaper if we just go for 3 digits. The fourth digit wouldn't contribute much, it would just be blank (or zero, 0) and on rare occasions show 1 when the value was 1000 - 1023. We'd have to blank the display etc. etc.,   ...the 4th. digit is just a lot of work for not very much result     3-digit multiplexed...
How to read a datasheet.   Read the stuff in the large font first, then work your way down to the smallest font.   No, seriously.   You may think, 'What's this 4sshole on about? Telling us how to read.'   I didn't get where I am today, however, without learning what I can safely ignore.   It's common in engineering offices, and occasionally elsewhere, to hear muttering. '...Mutter, mutter, mutter, mutter   ...read the *ucking...
The DC servo integrator offset is critical in determining the overall amplifier output offset, so the offset voltage of the opamp used is critical. Since the integrator uses quite high values of resistance to keep the size of capacitors used manageable, the input offset current has quite a big effect on the output offset and it's necessary to calculate its effect when choosing an opamp.    It's a close call in performance terms. The two chips are very close in terms...
  A voltage regulator (each side) is good, or you could just use a series Zener diode of ~15V in each rail to bring the supply voltage down to ~17V.   w.
Here's a simple TH layout.     This file has the gerbers:       Or for SMT, I'd modify the schematic a bit to make it easier to route:     Giving us this:       ... which would be more convenient if, for example, you wanted to panel mount it, as the side facing has only the display and a few SMT res. on it. The display would need to be surface mounted, but this is not a big problem as it has long legs, I've...
  Ah, right. Chances are the line inputs are already buffered.   You can do this, as long as the PSU voltages do not exceed +/- 18V       ...but why not just connect the speaker outs from the gainclone to the speaker ins?   w
The sensitivity (gain) of the subwoofer may not match the sensitivity of the gainclone. You really want another preset pot in there to allow you to do a one-time adjustment of the sub volume. You could use a simple opamp buffer after the volume control but before the preset, to make sure that the feed from the volume pot to the gainclone will be unaffected to all intents and purposes..   Of course you may find that the sub is too quiet, relative to the GC. A way...
Nice big transformer there, don't bin that...   w
Assembly language, assemblers and compilers.   While, as I have said, it is possible to look up opcodes in a table and program a computer by entering them as numbers, this is a tedious process.   In order to lessen the effort, a system was devised where each opcode was assigned an easily remembered alias, called a mnemonic.   It then became possible to write a program as a series of lines of text (often stored in a PC 'file'), each line containing a mnemonic,...
What does a microcontroller or microprocessor do?   A microcontroller is obviously intended to do something. But what?   When first switched on, a microcontroller outputs a specified address on its address bus and reads (fetches) the contents of the memory at that address. (This can be external to the device or entirely internal, depending on the exact design). The specific memory location is hardware programmed into the processor's gate logic. It could be...